Question about calories

Options
Okay so according to food tracker i still have 940 calories left. Does that mean i can have like a burger 'cos anything really comes in 900 calories. I was thinking of having a home made burger and i counted the calories and it comes to 530. Can i do it? Or should i just stick to having soup and stuff. Basically what my question is... can u fill those calories with anything that comes under the calorie goal? As long as u don't go over the recommended amount?

Replies

• hmlayman
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest doing that. Technically you can but the idea is for you to change your eating habits and eat better and more wise. I occasionally eat a "hamburger" with no cheese and with green pepper and mrs dash to season the buger on 35 calorie wheat bread. The hamburger meat I have is all natural 97/3 so the whole meal only adds up t0 200 calories. Eat something better for you if your hungry and leave the rest as weight loss. If your not hungry then don't eat them
  • silver12176
    silver12176 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree you can occ. I wouldnt do it all the time, but I wouldn't deny yourself either. If you want a hamberger you can. If you deny yourself it just going to make you want it more. I know I would end up binging on it.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, you can eat whatever you want. Some will tell you that you need to eat everything healthy--no white bread, no ice cream, etc. But, my weekly goal is losing 1 1/2 pounds. So, at 6' I can eat 1810 calories. I stay healthy: oatmeal, eggs, yoghurt, fish, veggies, fruit.

When I exercise, I have a small treat: 1/2 cup ice cream, small square chocolate. And, yes, I have hamburgers, maybe one every other week. And, the weight is coming off at 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week.

I think the great thing of this site is learning to eat quality calories and realizing what calories you are eating. I found that some things I was eating had way more calories than I thought, so I was way over calories.

Just be sure to record all you eat. If you put mayo on it, measure it and record it. Those are the things that keep weight from going off.

And, I know some will give you a strict diet. This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle. Learning to eat quality and staying under calories is the goal. Then, when you get to the weight you want, you are already eating right.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to have a hamburger every now and then as long as you count it. The thing is, you don't want to have the whopper with cheese, fries, and a shake. If you have a home made burger with raw veggies and water it's a huge improvement. If you take out everything you really like- you won't last long. My Dr. says if you eat healthy 90% of the time, the other 10% will not hurt you.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree with bsexton 3. It's ok to have a treat once in a while as long as you have the calorie allowance through exercise. But, as others here have said, make sure you measure and calculate what you have. It's the hidden calories that'll git ya. :noway:
  • ambybaby
    Options
    thanks people! I ended up having a home made burger with onion and tomato, no mayo just some ketchup. I counted the calories on everything and it came to 540. I still had some left. Ever since I'v started this thing, I have been way below my calories, i just cut down on rice that i used to eat for lunch and dinner. :-) I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks, which is wayyy better than what i was aiming for. I am still breast feeding my little one although i am in the process of weaning, so i guess i deserve a burger once in a while, since they say nursing does burn calories :-)