Belly overhang near goal weight :(

Options
I started well over 200 lbs at 5"1' (female). I am 140 lbs now. My goal is 130 lbs. I still have a belly overhang that I thought would be gone by this weight. Maybe it will be gone around 130 lbs or even 120 lbs? Ugh...

Does anyone know at my height at around what weight I would get a flatter stomach? I know everyone varies and such, but I just mean in general for the average person. I don't have any loose skin as I have been losing weight at a consistent pace.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    BF%?
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At 5'3", and 133, I still had some chub, though it didn't really hang. You may have to go closer to 120.
  • RedheadQuine
    RedheadQuine Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    BF%?

That is the big question but 5'1 and 140 or even 130 you may need to lose weight and start resistance training to see the results you want.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    that might be the last place you lose fat from, and even once you hit your goal weight you might have to try to drop body fat percentage to see a difference there, if it is loose skin it could take longer and sometimes nothing short of surgery helps the skin...all you can do is keep going and once you hit your goal re evaluate what needs to be done.
  • Krissy_b777
    Options
    Great job! May I ask what is your routine? Exercise? Food Choices? and etc. how long did it take you to lose your weight? I am adding you also :)
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has as much to do with height/weight as it does with muscle tone. "Skinny Fat" is real! I weigh less then a friend of mine - we are the same height. I have belly overhang, bat wings and flabby thighs - I could bounce a quarter off her abs. It is all in the muscle.

She's been working on her muscle for years now - I have just lost 60lbs and need to up my strength training but am just a bit obsessed with Cardio. Working on finding that balance so I can lose the flab...
  • rockon77
    rockon77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far. I don't know my BF%. I don't own any equipment that could tell me that percentage. My exercise is all walking. I walk around 8 to 10 miles a day. I know I should do strength training or whatever, but I really don't have the money and interest in that. I like simple forms of exercise because that way, I know I will stick with it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" you'll probably need to get down under 120 to see your belly fat gone but having been heavy before you may have loose skin that with either tighten over time or it may just be yours to keep. I have a little belly pooch below my navel that just refuses to go no matter how much I lose or how much exercise I do. Even at 19% BF it's still there.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I know I should do strength training or whatever, but I really don't have the money and interest in that. I like simple forms of exercise because that way, I know I will stick with it.

Then if you have no plan on changing to achieve your goal, why ask?

Yes, if you know you should strength train.. start with body weight. Google "convict conditioning." Have milk jugs? Fill them with water and start from there.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far. I don't know my BF%. I don't own any equipment that could tell me that percentage. My exercise is all walking. I walk around 8 to 10 miles a day. I know I should do strength training or whatever, but I really don't have the money and interest in that. I like simple forms of exercise because that way, I know I will stick with it.

You can download apps and use your own body to strength train. Example, Push ups, planks, squats, Flutter kicks Sit ups crunches... A lot of floor exercises can strenghten and Tone muscles... You should really switch some stuff up!
  • rockon77
    Options
    I know I should do strength training or whatever, but I really don't have the money and interest in that. I like simple forms of exercise because that way, I know I will stick with it.

Then if you have no plan on changing to achieve your goal, why ask?

Yes, if you know you should strength train.. start with body weight. Google "convict conditioning." Have milk jugs? Fill them with water and start from there.

I do plan to change, which is why I asked the question. I was just stating what I have been doing for the past year for weight loss. Plus, I will always dislike exercise except for walking, which is why I feel like strength training is something I would do just temporary to make my belly flatter.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

It's amazing how much walking you're doing and your weight loss is inspiring, but if you want to lose the belly fat you will probably have to start building muscle.

There's plenty of strength training you can do with no equipment and / or inexpensive equipment. If you don't want to do it, that's your call, but don't expect to have a firm, toned body without it. If you replaced 30 minutes of walking each day with 30 minutes of strength training, it would make a huge difference.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    According to charts at 5 ' a woman should be 100 pounds and add 5 pounds of weight for every inch over. But that does not account for frame size.

I'm 5.5.5" and when I was just right I was 125 to 130 and I have a medium frame so I think the chart was accurate for me.
  • heatherdevine77
    heatherdevine77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm just a bit taller at 5'3" and I gotta get to around 135 for my belly to be flat(ish). But that's because I tend to carry the extra weight in my butt and thighs. Which I don't complain about cuz I have an awesome butt ;) lol But anyway, try looking up ab exercises online. Pick two that work different areas of your stomach, and memorize them. Just do a little of that every day in addition to walking, and that tummy should start to go away! But walking isn't going to do much for your belly.
  • rmontpetit
    rmontpetit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is fat? I don't want to discourage you but some time it is skin and only can be remove by a tomituck... (not sure how to spell that)
  • myfanwy76
    myfanwy76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might try this podcast Strength and Flexibility from the UK's NHS. It is strength and training exercises meant to be incorporated into a walk.

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Strength-and-flexibility.aspx
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 5'3" and 121 lbs and my belly still hangs in two areas, over my belly button and below my bellybutton. I thought it would go away by 125 lbs. I lift weights as heavy as I can and do the Tap Out XT workouts. My arms and legs are pretty toned but my belly is very jiggly and mush.
  • rockon77
    Options
    According to charts at 5 ' you should be 100 pounds. and add 5 pounds of weight for every inch over. But that does not account for fram size.

I'm 5.5.5" and when I was just right I was 125 to 130 and I have a medium frame so I think it was right for me.

lol No thanks! I will never, ever be that tiny. My mom is 5'1" and around 110 lbs. She is a toothpick! I never want to look like that. I like looking much healthier. Everyone always comments on how tiny she looks. My healthy weight is between 98 lbs - 132 lbs. I would rather be near 120 - 130 lbs than 100 lbs.
  • rockon77
    Options
    Are you sure it is fat? I don't want to discourage you but some time it is skin and only can be remove by a tomituck... (not sure how to spell that)

It's definitely not skin. It's solid fat, lol.