Do we trust the stats?

Options
Opinion needed here..

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Richard's Foodporium but I have one right next to work. Super cute and dependable natural/healthy food shop.

They have mango by the bulk labeled "Mango, Dried Low Sugar". According to their label, and to MFP, 40 grams is only 30 calories. That seems almost impossible. I got .45 lbs today, and it's about 25 pieces. According to the stats that whole amount would only be about 150 calories.

What's your input? This mango is different from the packaged dried mango, it doesn't have sugar added and it tastes different too (I've had both).

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Opinion needed here..

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Richard's Foodporium but I have one right next to work. Super cute and dependable natural/healthy food shop.

They have mango by the bulk labeled "Mango, Dried Low Sugar". According to their label, and to MFP, 40 grams is only 30 calories. That seems almost impossible. I got .45 lbs today, and it's about 25 pieces. According to the stats that whole amount would only be about 150 calories.

What's your input? This mango is different from the packaged dried mango, it doesn't have sugar added and it tastes different too (I've had both).

If it's natural and healthy I heard the cals don't count, kinda like fruit sugars vs refined sugars
  • dmfusari
    Options
    Okay cool, that's interesting..and I assume it is natural and healthy considering the source and the store it's from. I'm always just a little weary of the 'too good too be true" situation ;-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Opinion needed here..

If it's natural and healthy I heard the cals don't count, kinda like fruit sugars vs refined sugars
    ^In case you missed it, the above is sarcasm. Dried fruit is incredibly calorie dense, and I'm not sure how you have low sugar fruit unless you do some weird processing stuff.

My guess, they haven't done the studies to actually test the calorie content (in a lab), and they're guessing. Labels are often off (there was a good youtube video on this), especially from smaller places that label things "healthy".
  • dmfusari
    Options
    Yep totally missed it. Sarcasm isn't my thing, I like to think people are actually supportive and helpful in these communities.

So thank you for informing me and actually providing useful information that I don't have to read into :-)

I know dried fruit is definitely high in calorie counts and I usually stay away. That's why when I found these mangos I was weary, but hopeful. I guess I didn't know if there was something I was missing, but it makes sense when you explain it. Thank you.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know how that is possible. I get the Just Mango slices from Trader Joe's which are just peeled, seeded and dried with no extras - they are about 120 calories for 1/4 cup.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I happen to have a bag of Philippines brand dried mango right here.

42g serving -> 160 cal from 39g of carbs, of which 32g are sugar.

If the product you picked up truly is "low sugar", then the calorie claim is believable, as sugar is definitely an added ingredient in the product I have.