It's Me... Lindsay.. don't you remember me??

Options
Ok. I haven't always been heavy. I started out that way in high school. I got motivated after graduation to see the world and join the Army. I was in for over 3 years. I weighed the "ideal" weight as far as the army was concered.

After I got out, I had my little girl. I quickly rebounded to "skinny" as I was scared to be "fat." All was well.... Until.......

I recently rejoined the college wave. I am now almost done with nursing school. It's been stressful and hard, and quite frankly the reason that I eat what I shouldn't and neglect my weight. I used to run 3-6 miles a day. No time for it now! 6-8 hours of homework a day! I've been sedentary for almost a year now.

How are my patients suppose to take me seriously about dieting and exercise when I haven't been motivate to do it myself?!

An even worse aside... I was working at the hospital and saw a friend of the family. Someone I've known for almost 10 years now. It's only been 6 months since I've seen them last. I politely and excitedly ran up and gave them a hug. They looked right into my face. Paused and said,.... "Do I know you?"

I sadly and meakly replied, "It's Me... Lindsay.. don't you remember me??"

I went to the bathroom and cried. I thought to myself, "It's got to stop now! I am a skinny person trapped in a fat person's body!"

If you have had an experience similar to mine and you FEEL THE SAME WAY, Message me! New friends are always welcome.

Replies

• zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    Maybe you just caught them off gaurd? Sometimes when you see people "out of context"it doesn't always click. I've actually had the reverse happen. I used to work in a hopsital and on several occasions didn't recognize people in "street clothes" instead of the scrubs I normally saw them in. But I do relate to what you are going through...I also put on weight in x-ray school and now I am going back again and am desprately trying to not do that again. But it really helps that theres not a fantastic cuban restraunt across from the school this time around! ") YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • lindsayhowell84
    Options
    Thanks so much for the motivation! I appreciate it. And... you may be right about the scrubs throwing people off.
    Sometimes it's our own insecurities and interpretations that cause us to assume people are thinking the worst.
    I just hope I can lose the 42 lbs I've gained since I started. =)
  • lindsayhowell84
    Options
    PS: Too bad about the Cuban restaurant though.. Mmmmmm sounds delicious! :wink:
  • leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I cried a little reading this...becuause I identify! I have been teaching full time and doing grad school (2 kids, husband out of country)...and totally eating my way to death. I am not recognizable to friends I've known for life either! And my pregnancies...whoa! I gained 78lbs. the first time around, then 75 lbs. the second. Lost it all both times...but it found me!!! I am tired of this. We will do this together!!! I can't wait for our post at the end about how no one recognizes us because we have lost SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Hey Lindsay you can release the skinny girl inside you again - it just takes a bit of discipline but you'll get there.
    Congratulations on your nursing - us nurses have to remember we are role models and no-one will take us seriously giving dietary and health advice if it's obvious we can't manage our own lives.
    I know a smoking cessation counsellor who smokes!:noway:

Feel free to friend me Lindsay:flowerforyou:
  • lindsayhowell84
    Options
    I agree. And my husband is currently deployed to Korea. When he returns I want him to say, "Wow! you are so beautiful! What a wonderful surprise! I'm proud of your efforts!"

Good luck with the weight! Hope to hear from you again along the weight loss "journey."

~One Skinny peron trapped in a fat peron's body to another =)