Healthier Sweet Snacks

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been on this for awhile and am really enjoying the app. I have a sweet tooth and normally right after lunch between 1-4pm I get a craving for something sweet. Normally I can hold off till I have my apple and peanut butter prior to working out on the way home, but some days I just need something sweet. I've tried the trick of having strawberries or other sweet fruit, but that doesn't cut it. Any recommendations for healthier sweet snacks that are lower in calories and sugar?

Thanks!
Kelly

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your definition of lower calories and sugar is, but yesterday I had a major sweet tooth and ate one of those little boxes of Barnum's Animal Crackers - it hit the spot and had 240 calories, 7 grams of sugar.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that the things I go to like a protein or fiber bar can be just as bad as candy, so I usually go with candy. I'll have a 100 calorie pack of m&ms in my purse or Extra dessert gum. Otherwise, I will have a granola bar, but again it's not better than candy most of the time.
  • miked7344
    miked7344 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Walgreens has "Nice" brand sugar free/fat free/ gluten free hard candy. 3 pieces 35 calories. Not too bad.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If I REALLY want something sweet, I will usually eat a Tootsie Pop. They are only 60 calories and they last a while and they are sweet and delicious.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been on this for awhile and am really enjoying the app. I have a sweet tooth and normally right after lunch between 1-4pm I get a craving for something sweet. Normally I can hold off till I have my apple and peanut butter prior to working out on the way home, but some days I just need something sweet. I've tried the trick of having strawberries or other sweet fruit, but that doesn't cut it. Any recommendations for healthier sweet snacks that are lower in calories and sugar?

Thanks!
    Kelly

Skinny Cow ice cream/snacks, or a Fiber One brownie.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato with cinnamon! Make your own: chips, crispy chunks, chewy, mashed soft, whatever texture you prefer.

I just tried the apple pie dessert gum from extra recently, and it was pretty delicious. :)

Fun size candy bars are usually around 60-100 calories.
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    FRUIT LEATHER! It's my go-to afternoon snack because you choose what fruits you want to add and you don't have to worry about added sugars/ingredients!

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/homemade-fruit-leather/
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Brothers all natural fruit crisps - between 40 and 45 calories a bag and a nice sweet crunch. LOVE these!!
    Fiber One products are great too as someone suggested.
    I am a salt person so I tend to have problems finding stuff there lol but sweet seems like those are everywhere :/
    You could also get a sugar free jam and spread on josephs pitas (60 calories each plus cals for jam) Fluff is pretty low in calories too
    If you want just a quick sweet fix - coffee nips or pb parfait nips are 30 calories each and last a while if you do not chew them lol
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola bars. They're sweet but they have oats so I don't feel so bad eating them. Plus there's less added junk in them like the ones at the store. I also put peanut butter or nutella in them.
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicle - 40 Calories
    Nature Valley - Trail Mix Chewy Granola Bar - Dark Chocolate & Nut - 140 calories
    But my all time best find is the skinny cow line http://www.skinnycow.com/ tons of candy bars and snacks around 100 calories
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not sure how convenient this would be at work but I LOVE my mini ice cream sandwhichs. Use cool whip free or light and low fat graham crackers (any flavor you like). Make them into mini sandwhich by using 2 squares and 2 tablespoons of the cool whip. Freeze them overnight.

I like to use chocolate graham crackers - the frozen cool whip is very much like ice cream. so good!

I make a half dozen or so at a time so I can grab one whenever I want
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If there's one near you... Yogurtland NSA Strawberry Cheesecake flavor. The NSA is "no sugar added," but you wouldn't believe it when you taste it. Loaded with calcium and 20 calories an ounce. It can be low-cal or not... You decide how many calories to put into that great big bowl....