protein shakes???

Options
kro097
kro097 Posts: 10 Member
so i'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but those of you that do protein shakes, what brand do you use? every one I've tried is chalky and has a weird after taste. what are ones that are drinkable when mixed with water?

Replies

• twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    is water a requirement, or are you just trying to keep the cals low?
    you may want to try using almond milk (30 cals for 8 oz).. Im not a fan of it straight up, or in cereal, but it works great for my shakes..
  • kro097
    Options
    you may want to try using almond milk (30 cals for 8 oz).. Im not a fan of it straight up, or in cereal, but it works great for my shakes..

it's only a requirement if I want to try and take it to school with me, I don't know how i'd keep almond milk cold enough to have later in the day
  • jewells233
    Options
    I am doing HRM dinner with shake it good:smile:
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My Daughter is really picky about her protein shakes, she LOVES Perfect Nutrition. It's a New Zealand whey protein, if you can find it I highly recommend it. she likes it with water but if you add half milk it tastes like chocolate milk. They also have multiple other flavors that are equally as good.
    http://www.perfectnutrition.ca/products/diesel/index.html
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't very often rely on protien shakes, but if i DO, then it is a product called "Harmonized Protien"and only the vanilla...it is geared toward a woman's needs - it doesn't have muscle building additives or soy and i feel that it mixes fairly well with water and one of thoes bottles with the wire blender ball...do you have one of thoes? I couldn't live without it.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I actually mix EAS protein powder (they make soy and whey as well as mixes designed for recovery, dropping body fat, etc) with Atkins protein shakes. I refrigerate mine, but they come stored at room temp and only have to be refrigerated after opening. I don't know how that would affect the taste, but as long as you get the powder mixed in well, this combo is the best taste and texture I've found so far.
  • HAHAalex
    HAHAalex Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really like the (Light) Muscle Milk protein shake powder (banana, peanut butter and cake batter flavors)
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love mine and I am really picky eater It is Bio-Whey - creamy vanilla
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like Target's brand (Market Pantry) chocolate whey powder. I normally drink it with Almond Milk but if I have to carry it somewhere for later (like the gym) I use water and it tastes good both ways. It took me a while to find this one, lots of trial and error and I found this one to not be chalky or to have an aftertaste.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I do GNC 95 vanilla soy. It's ok with water. It's even better blended with frozen blueberries or blended with iced coffee... oh hells yes!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use Genisoy in the chocolate flavor. I do cheap grocery store soy protein because I'm vegan and can't afford the fancy hemp powders or vegan super meal replacers. I can't say I've experienced a weird texture or aftertaste but I usually put enough other stuff in it that it would probably mask it anyway. I blend a whole medium banana, 4oz soy or other non-dairy milk, 4oz water (sometimes I do 6oz coffee and a splash of soymilk and a dash of Truvia if I want a caffeine kick), scoop of chocolate Genisoy, sometimes a tbsp. carob powder, and a ton of ice cubes, 'cause I like it more milkshake-y. If I have enough calories left in my day I won't hesitate to add a tbsp. of peanut butter, either. They come out to a little less than 300cal, they are filling and do a good job at curbing chocolate and ice cream cravings. So yeah, there's a lot going on in my protein shakes...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    when it comes to protein, i just use the cheapest stuff i can stomach. The marginal differences from brand to brand arent worth the big bucks. the only thing worth more is isolate vs concentrate, and then i'll still just get the cheapest i can find.

this stuff is cheaper then walmart and the vanella is hands down the best whey i've tasted, i always mix with water http://www.albanystrength.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=l2594rkv930c9ol1qj8ehjej20
  • mkcongrove1
    mkcongrove1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump, I've been on a search for a good tasting whey protein shake as well. Does anyone know of a website where you can buy sample protein shake packets? I'd rather spend some extra money to find one that I like than to blow a TON of money buying them and throwing 90% of it away :/
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Optimum 100% Gold Standard. Easy to drink and on the more affordable side for shakes, too.
  • mshellcpc
    mshellcpc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein shakes. They are pre mixed and are good
  • 4_Lisa
    Options
    Ask at the stores, they quite often give out samples of their more popular brands. If you go to GNC if you don't like it they will take it back and either give you a credit or replace it with something else.
  • hpheath
    hpheath Posts: 41 Member
    Options

it's only a requirement if I want to try and take it to school with me, I don't know how i'd keep almond milk cold enough to have later in the day

You can buy almond milk in portable containers that do not need to be refrigerated. I mix my protein powder with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Almond milk is really high in calcium. Something most women dont get enough of.
  • kro097
    Options
    Ask at the stores, they quite often give out samples of their more popular brands. If you go to GNC if you don't like it they will take it back and either give you a credit or replace it with something else.

i'm always way too intimidated to go into GNC. I feel like they'll look at me like I don't belong
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not really sure about this compared to others, but its 180 calories and tastes DELICIOUS! Its like chocolate milk. http://sveltebrand.com/products/
  • 4_Lisa
    Options
    Cheap can also mean a lot of extra fillers that are going against what you want. Your going to spend a little for the better, cleaner product. Low sugars, low sodium and high protein in an isolate is gonna run about 40-50 (alberta prices)