Weight loss surgery

Options
Anyone here ever had weight loss surgery that you had to pay for out of pocket? What was the experience, cost and result? Would you do it again?

Replies

• JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Hi - It's me ! *lol* My cousin, had surgery and lost a huge amount of weight - I can't say exactly how many pounds but I know it was over 100 easily. Her journey went well - she lost weight, she started horseback riding again, she got a new wardrobe, walks, vacations. We were all thrilled for her. She even had surgery later to remove the excess skin from her upper arms - painful surgery for her and longer recovery period than she planned. Recovered continued on her way with her new life. Unfortunately about 2 -3 years after surgery she regained ALL her weight and MORE. She said it was not the surgery she needed, it was a lifestyle change....I think for her anyway it is correct, she said she did not commit to the lifestyle changes - the "forever changes". So just sharing. I am sure others here will have a ton of information that can be backed up and more informative. :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a bariatric (weight loss) surgeon. He won't do his work on patients who don't first demonstrate commitment to a lifestyle change that includes healthy diet and exercise. It's not a miracle cure and not a substitute for good habits, but from what his patients say about him, it seems helpful when coupled with the lifestyle change.

ETA: Oh, sorry, didn't answer the original question. No, I haven't had it done. All I really needed was to get my butt off the couch and my face out of the fridge.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Costs vary hugely. The people that I know personally who paid out of pocket went to Mexico to have it done. For them the cost was under 10k and they have had fantastic results.
  • sassy_sleever
    Options
    Are you in Europe? I went to a fab surgeon in the Czech Republic. I probably cant post the info here, so PM me for details. He is very affordable!