protein shakes???

Options

Replies

• Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Because of digestive issues with milk and milk products, I mix Genisoy protein powder original flavor (No sugar added and no stevia which I find gives an awful after taste). I mix it in with some fruit (pineapple, melon, grapes, apple) and veggies (kale, spinach, cucumber). Add a bit of water and or almond beverage.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Ask at the stores, they quite often give out samples of their more popular brands. If you go to GNC if you don't like it they will take it back and either give you a credit or replace it with something else.

i'm always way too intimidated to go into GNC. I feel like they'll look at me like I don't belong

Are you kidding me, those big beefcakes LOVE to tell you what they know about their products... and everyone starts somewhere, at one point mr/mrs muscle didn't have a clue either.

edited to add quote
  • sillyrichie
    sillyrichie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    so i'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but those of you that do protein shakes, what brand do you use? every one I've tried is chalky and has a weird after taste. what are ones that are drinkable when mixed with water?

Not sure if it helps, but Muscle Milk is GREAT in coffee... :)
  • kro097
    kro097 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not really sure about this compared to others, but its 180 calories and tastes DELICIOUS! Its like chocolate milk. http://sveltebrand.com/products/

I've seen those! are they worth the money?
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    EAS carb control protien shakes (pre made) are so good...they have a double chocolate and a caramel that taste sinful. They are on the expensive side tho....
  • 4_Lisa
    Options
    If you prefer fruity juicy over heavy protein, syntrax has a pretty good line that are more of a juice when mixed with water, all kinds of fruit flavors, my favs are roadside lemonade and fuzzy navel. I usually have one with my lunch to keep me fuller longer.
  • 4_Lisa
    Options
    Not really sure about this compared to others, but its 180 calories and tastes DELICIOUS! Its like chocolate milk. http://sveltebrand.com/products/

I've seen those! are they worth the money?

260 cals for 16 grams of protein? have a chocolate bar at that rate...
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I adore Cellucor COR performance whey. It tasted too sweet with just water, so I use unsweetened almond milk.

Per 1 scoop: 130 calories, 1.5g fat, 3g carbs, 25g protein
  • IdaBigelow
    Options
    these (Premier from cosco) really are good especially the chocolate if you whip it up
  • Markkoch54
    Markkoch54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My son is a trainer and he recommends GMC Dymatize. I like the chocalate flavor. You can get a large container on sale for around $45.
  • Mholla54
    Mholla54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've used a number of types but the best so far is by Jack Robb. I buy them online on Amazon, best price. Unless you want to continually order from his website. He gives a discount for auto ordering.
    They have no after taste and natural ingredients.; no chemicals and crap. The egg white protein I like the best.
    I make mine with ice or frozen fruit.

It's worth the price, not that he's real expensive. Comes out to about $2 a shake.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like the Six Star Nutrition Whey Protein in triple chocolate. I mix it in my Magic Bullet blender with ice cubes and a banana and water. Mixes well and tastes yummy! 170 calories and 30 grams of protein. 8 carbs and 2 grams of sugar. I blend it up so I am not sure how good it is if you just shook it up.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    is water a requirement, or are you just trying to keep the cals low?
    you may want to try using almond milk (30 cals for 8 oz).. Im not a fan of it straight up, or in cereal, but it works great for my shakes..

it's only a requirement if I want to try and take it to school with me, I don't know how i'd keep almond milk cold enough to have later in the day
    Thermos ( insulated type Cup) Big one.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The required daily allowance for a female adult is 45g of protein. This is calculated from the Carbohydrate of 230g. A ratio of 1 third. Not the MFP calculations, which makes no sense at all.
    Protein, is not just found in meat, and most people will meet their daily requirement through a well balanced diet. Excess protein in the body is fat. The bodybuilder, is able to convert protein into muscle, mainly because muscle mass, uses more energy, and can burn calories i.e. protein, long after a work out. The downside to bodybuilding, is when they decide to retire. This is when muscle turns back into fat, and can be a hell of a job to shift, without doing bodybuilding, again.
  • josyk7
    josyk7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein shakes they are premixed so I don't have to add anything. They are wonderful to take along in your purse or keep in a locker!!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is most likely NOT helpful, BUT I hate protein shakes...

that is until I started buying shakes/smoothies from NrGizer at LA Fitness. Those things are incredible.

I'm a tiny bit suspicious, but it tastes tooooooo good to question :)

edited for silly overenthusiastic typos
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Buy Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Isolate and/or USPLabs Oxyelite Protein. Both delicious when mixed with water and low in calories.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thermos ( insulated type Cup) Big one.

may also help to blend some ice into it... I typically do that anyways.. but between the ice and the thermos.. should be good for awhile