Saggy Skin Fears

Options
Hello everyone,
I am 26, 5'2", and currently on a weight-loss journey. So far, I'm down 41 pounds since March, and I'm feeling pretty great. My goal for right now is to get to 150 pounds (after I get there, I will re-evaluate and see how I feel to determine if I want to continue), which would require me to lose 95 pounds. I'm a bit concerned about having saggy skin. I have been losing the weight through a combination of diet and exercise (under 1800 calories and varying exercises 4-5 days per week). I don't see my skin as a major problem yet, but I have started to notice there being a bit extra in some places.

Is there a high likelihood that I will have saggy skin when I get down to my goal weight? It's one of my concerns, and I just wanted to see what other people have experienced.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure, wait till your 50.
    it only gets worse.
  • Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of weight that you have to lose, it is possible that you could just have some saggy skin....but, if you implement weight lifting into your workout regimine at least 3 days a week, it could help to minimize or eliminate the saggy skin. By weight lifting, I don't mean 5 pound weights. You have to go heavier to really build your muscle and prevent your skin from sagging.

I'm not an expert but that's what seems to be working well for my friends and customers that have 100 pounds or more to lose.

Great job on your success so far! :smile:
  • shedwebb
    Options
    Cool! I just signed on with a personal trainer this morning, and I am planning to hit the weights pretty hard. I just want to tone up in general, and hopefully it will help with the skin. Thanks for your reply and encouragement!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    On average, people with 80+ pounds to lose will experience some loose skin. Genetics, age and skin condition will dictate most of this. One thing......................don't tan in the sun. It reduces elasticity of skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MamaCatO
    Options
    I've worried about the saggy skin thing too. I usedto weigh 351 lbs. I still have over a 100 lbs left to go, even after losing 80lbs. I'm 40 years old. It's extremely likely that saggy skin will be an issue. But I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have saggy skin that the giant rolls of fat I have now. :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Probably will have some. Your very young age will minimize this I'm guessing.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You are still pretty young so you have that on your side....not sure if you have kids, but if not, then the belly should not be so bad to tone up. I have found that the inner thighs, stomach, and under the arms have been the worst to bounce back from. I had 2 C-sections(8 and 10 years ago) so I have put a lot of time into my belly area with exercising to target that. The most difficult is definitely the inner thighs and I do weights, run and work out in the gym a lot, but that kind of is what it is I guess. Just make sure not to lose too fast and to include weights and that will help in the long run. Best of luck!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I think the first sentence says it all " I am 26 " I think at your age as you lose your skin will improve and after you are done losing and toning you will be thrilled with the results.
    Congrats on your progress so far and I wouldnt worry if I was you. I am 65 and losing a lot of weight and even my skin is improving over time. I am probably 30 years past getting to real good :ohwell: but improving is great
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've lost 101 pounds and have not experienced saggy skin. I'd rather have saggy skin then the health issues that come along with being obese. =/
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Be grateful you're doing this at 26. You have a much better chance of bouncing back at your age. It really depends on how damaged the skin is. Any area with severe stretch marks will probably have some issues.
  • shedwebb
    Options
    I completely agree. I wouldn't stop losing weight even if I were guaranteed saggy skin. It's a much better issue to deal with than all the health risks that come with being obese.
  • shedwebb
    Options
    No kids, so maybe I will not have too much to worry about. I'm really working to target my belly and inner thighs, too. I guess only time will tell!
  • shedwebb
    Options
    Really, the only stretch marks I have are from growing so quickly when I was young. My body worked really hard to get to 5'2" at an early age and then just decided that would be a good height to stay at forever. :)
  • janekocanpayne
    janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost 66lbs up to now using a combination of hard exercise (mostly cardio, with some muscle toning) and calorie counting, and so far I am devoid of loose/saggy skin. I started using moisturiser on the areas of my body that most "needed" it fairly early on in my journey when I started to notice some excess skin on my arms, and whether this has contributed or not I don't know, but I can't complain so far! It's probably a silly little tip, but you never know...
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many things...how long you have been overweight, your age, heredity, how quickly you lose. You are young, you may not have an issue with it.

You cannot actually firm up saggy skin from exercise. What you can do is tone and create muscle which will give your skin a nice surface on which to lay. It will look more firm from having muscular frame underneath it than it would from having no muscle underneath.

I have been having some success with lotions too. It is not to firm up the skin, again, that can't happen. But it does seem to be giving my skin a better, smoother texture.

Good luck to you!
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Everyone has different skin elasticity, but the others are right--at your age, the skin should be pretty resilient. Add in weight training and it'll help even more.

I have a friend who's 35 and she lost 115 lbs in the last year and a half. She lifted heavy weights during her entire weight loss, and she looks amaaaaaazing...extremely lean and fit. She has a little bit of saggy skin in her midsection (she's also had 2 children)...there's nothing she can do about that skin...she has almost no fat there, and her abs are solid...so she's going to have the skin removed surgically. You never know how your skin will react until you lose the weight...everyone is a little different.

Anyway, all that to say...lift weights and keep going!! Congrats on your loss so far! :)