protein shakes???

Options

Replies

• mdessire
    Options
    I drink Proflex 20 and I loved it! 20grams of protein. :)
  • kro097
    kro097 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The required daily allowance for a female adult is 45g of protein. This is calculated from the Carbohydrate of 230g. A ratio of 1 third. Not the MFP calculations, which makes no sense at all.
    Protein, is not just found in meat, and most people will meet their daily requirement through a well balanced diet. Excess protein in the body is fat. The bodybuilder, is able to convert protein into muscle, mainly because muscle mass, uses more energy, and can burn calories i.e. protein, long after a work out. The downside to bodybuilding, is when they decide to retire. This is when muscle turns back into fat, and can be a hell of a job to shift, without doing bodybuilding, again.

I've read this 4 times....still doesn't make sense to me.
  • stretch0823
    stretch0823 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    so i'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, but those of you that do protein shakes, what brand do you use? every one I've tried is chalky and has a weird after taste. what are ones that are drinkable when mixed with water?

Not sure if it helps, but Muscle Milk is GREAT in coffee... :)

Pro 5 from Nutrishop is pretty awesome
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Easy to get, inexpensive, tastes good with water OR milk: EAS Soy Protein powder - either chocolate or vanilla - both are just as tasty. Keep in mind the calorie count is a little higher than say ON or Muscle Tech but that's why it tastes yummy. :-)

Optimum Nutrition - Extreme Milk Chocolate - tastes watery with just water but does not have that nasty after taste. Not my fave, but do-able. Just use less water to make it thicker. Cookie N Cream - blech!

Muscle Tech Phase 8 - Milk Chocolate. Very tasty with just water. Got home from an extra long cardio workout and made a shake with two scoops - very creamy indeed. Just ordered Buy One Get One Free through Body Builder.com. Came out to about $15 for a 5 pound tub!!
  • atlcajun
    atlcajun Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Advocare Chocolate Shakes for a few weeks. I love the taste and I real picky with it comes to protein shakes. It is made with water which makes it convenient. Recently during a training I was attending, I brought a packet with me along with a travel mug and made up my shake. I have tried the vanilla, like it with berries but love the chocolate.

http://www.advocare.com/products/trim/T1251.aspx
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use Access exercise shakes and bars. They have chocolate taste. I love it. It has fat burning ingredients. Great for work out.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Excess protein in the body is fat. The bodybuilder, is able to convert protein into muscle, mainly because muscle mass, uses more energy, and can burn calories i.e. protein, long after a work out. The downside to bodybuilding, is when they decide to retire. This is when muscle turns back into fat, and can be a hell of a job to shift, without doing bodybuilding, again.

I encourage the author of this entry to do some fact checking. First of all, excess food of any type is fat.

Second, muscle does not turn to fat. Muscle may get flabby and out of shape but there is no osmosis that happens. Muscle is muscle - whether toned or not. Fat is fat is fat. Two different types of molecules.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The required daily allowance for a female adult is 45g of protein. This is calculated from the Carbohydrate of 230g. A ratio of 1 third. Not the MFP calculations, which makes no sense at all.
    Protein, is not just found in meat, and most people will meet their daily requirement through a well balanced diet. Excess protein in the body is fat. The bodybuilder, is able to convert protein into muscle, mainly because muscle mass, uses more energy, and can burn calories i.e. protein, long after a work out. The downside to bodybuilding, is when they decide to retire. This is when muscle turns back into fat, and can be a hell of a job to shift, without doing bodybuilding, again.

I've read this 4 times....still doesn't make sense to me.
    That is because you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Even if you can navigate the rocky shoals of the extraneous commas, the factual information is incorrect. Muscle does not turn into anything. It may get broken down by the body when it is no longer needed (not lifting). And someone may then gain fat if they have less muscle and are eating what was necessary to maintain the higher muscle mass. But nothing is "transmogrified."

And this is a perfect illustration of why you need to keep strength training your whole life. You don't "retire" and expect the muscle to magically stay put. Use it or lose it, baby. :laugh:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Excess protein in the body is fat. The bodybuilder, is able to convert protein into muscle, mainly because muscle mass, uses more energy, and can burn calories i.e. protein, long after a work out. The downside to bodybuilding, is when they decide to retire. This is when muscle turns back into fat, and can be a hell of a job to shift, without doing bodybuilding, again.

I encourage the author of this entry to do some fact checking. First of all, excess food of any type is fat.

Second, muscle does not turn to fat. Muscle may get flabby and out of shape but there is no osmosis that happens. Muscle is muscle - whether toned or not. Fat is fat is fat. Two different types of molecules.

I'm also a particularly big fan of how all women have the exact same daily requirement, regardless of height, weight, or regular activity. Apparently the 45g is assigned by the uterus?
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use Bodylogix's Natural Whey in Vanilla Bean. Tastes actually quite good just with water and to be honest... it smells just like animal crackers!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I just recently started using Almond milk in my protein shakes. I normally just use water though.

My favorite is Pro 7 Cookies and Cream. Its a mixture of proteins and tastes delicious and the protein to cal ratio is great (153 cals for 34 protein)
    I also like Optimum Nutrition Whey (I tried double chocolate) and EAS Vanilla.
  • sarahmax0817
    Options
    I am on the Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge and love their protein shakes! It really is the shake mix that taste like cake mix and it's not chalky. You can mix it with milk, juice, water....whatever your taste buds like! I mix mine with water and crystal light sometimes when I am watching my calorie counts but most times I make a higher calorie shake with milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, etc as a meal replacement.
  • aggieanne04
    aggieanne04 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AdvoCare meal replacement shakes - love 'em! All flavors!
  • benlogan87
    benlogan87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use Elemental Nutrition Shredding Matrix

http://www.mrsupplement.com.au/elemental-nutrition-shredding-matrix

I take it with water, and even with that over milk still tastes like a chocolate milkshake going down.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't very often rely on protien shakes, but if i DO, then it is a product called "Harmonized Protien"and only the vanilla...it is geared toward a woman's needs - it doesn't have muscle building additives or soy and i feel that it mixes fairly well with water and one of thoes bottles with the wire blender ball...do you have one of thoes? I couldn't live without it.

I use the Harmonized Protein as well and really like it. High in protein, low in all the other stuff you don't want (Carbs, sugar and additives)

You need to at least do it in a blender or good mixer if you can then take it with you for later so you can give it a good shake. I think just trying to do it by hand will make them all a little less potable.

Add some fruit if you want, but the vanilla one is really good.
  • BoxerDogsMom
    BoxerDogsMom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the Designer Whey Protein and got a great deal at Vitacost on them and they are 100 calories per scoop.:smooched:
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options

I'm also a particularly big fan of how all women have the exact same daily requirement, regardless of height, weight, or regular activity. Apparently the 45g is assigned by the uterus?

Oh, and here I've been basing my protein levels on my ovaries.... THAT"S what I'm doing wrong!
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    dymatize iso 100....it mixes well lactose free(im lactose intolerant) and sugar free(cant use sugar...they use sucralose).....i tried others but this one one i liked especially the lactose free part lol:wink:
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Gold standard whey extreme milk chocolate blended with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 2-3 ice cubes. Yum. I dont like it just in a shaker cup so I use the magic bullet.