U.K horror foods?

Options
I went out to the harvester for my dinner tonight, But before going I decided to check their website to see if it had a calorie list for the food on the menu and blow and behold it did. Well done harvester, but looking down the list I almost fell of my chair when I got to sweet potato burger... 1826 kcal,

I always thought that the veggie option was also the healthy option, and what makes it worse is that I actually ate one about a month before I started this lifestyle change.

I would be really grateful if people could share their horror foods from the U.K so that I can avoid these in the future.

Replies

• Maggie1960
    Options
    Avoid Wetherspoons!
    2476 calories for the shared platter of mixed starters, 1001 calories for fish and chips, 1227 for the roast chicken dinner - I have yet to find a healthy option on their menu! It's a shame because they do some really cheap meal-deals when you're out, two meals including drinks for £8.
  • alan79
    alan79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No caloire horror stories but discovered recently that they dont serve proper beef at Wetherspoons. Their steaks etc are something called a Zebu.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    IT MAY seem like the healthy option on the menu, but appearances can be deceptive. PizzaExpress restaurants are selling a salad that contains as much fat as two Big Mac burgers.
    The D’Autunno chicken, aubergine and almond salad with dressing is 35% fat and packs in 940 calories

It is, however, just one item on a menu thought to offer more calories per portion than any of the more mass-market fast-food restaurants such as McDonald’s or Burger King.

A single pizza, for example, contains up to 903 calories. By contrast a Big Mac from McDonald’s contains 493 calories. Even adding regular size potato chips would add only 206 more calories, taking the calorie total to 699.

PizzaExpress is just one of a wide range of premium food outlets targeting the middle classes with dishes laden with “hidden” calories. Like All Bar One, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge, Bella Italia and Mamma Amalfi, PizzaExpress menus offer no nutritional or calorific advice or labelling.

Tom Sanders, professor of nutritional sciences and dietetics at King’s College London, was shocked by the fact that one “salad” could be 35% (55g) fat. “I have looked at the data. The level of fat is appalling. An intake of around 400-500 calories would be what you might expect for a main dish salad,” he said. While the contents of some elements of the salad are certainly nutritious, the chain offers other dishes with even more hidden calories such as its tortellini — “a subtle combination of cream, ham and parmesan”. Not mentioned are its 990 calories and 63g of fat.

A single course at PizzaExpress offers nearly 200 more calories than a Big Mac with regular fries and regular Coke (total 807 calories).

It was a similar picture at Pizza Hut where a medium-sized “meat feast pan pizza” contains 2,022 calories and 106.2g of fat Pizza Hut’s Caesar salad contains 344 calories.

Burger King
    Blue Cheese dressing, 1 packet 300 calories
    French dressing, 1 packet 280 calories
    House dressing, 1 packet 260 caloies
    Thousand Island, 1 packet 240 calories

Calories in a jaffa cake = 46 EACH!!

Calories in a 200g chicken breast = 342

Calories in 100g popcorn = 405

Calories in a 150g banana = 143

Calories in an 145g avocado pear = 275

Nuts and Seeds
    Serving Size Calorie Count Grams of Fat