5'5 260 lbs and starting a new lifestyle..:)

Options
Hello all (this is my first time on fitness pal), I am just starting my new lifestyle and I am already sore from my first day of strength training....whew!!! lol I am on stretching out my thighs regularly now...:) Have a great day everybody!!! :)

Replies

• Chatterbox57
    Options
    Hi Kristen

I am 5 ft 2 ins and weight 232 lbs. I've been a member on this forum since 2010 and although I don't weight exactly the same I am still way over what I should be. This time though I have broken my goals into bite sizes and my ticker tape shows I have 30 lbs to go rather than what I have lost. Probably brain wired wrong, but it works for me and I'll see over the summer months how I get on.

I would like to here about your strength training. What do you actually do? I am a couch potato, and working in an office and then living in the middle of no where I don't push myself to a gym. Would love any ideas for doing in the home.

You sound really motivated yourself so good luck and here is to a smaller us.

Maureen
  • erickson821
    Options
    What type of exercise program are you going to be doing? I will add you to my buddy list!
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    Good morning Maureen,

Honestly, it took for me to get to the point where I feel as though "I'm at the end of my rope" when it comes to my health...I have been getting so frustrated with my health (asthma problems, stress, and anxiety). I work at a desk job for 8.5 hrs per day and drive 40min to get home everyday....I want more for my life....I am a Christian woman and I believe God will guide me on how I need to this lifestyle change. I am not counting on my "will power" alone....I've done that for too long and I always fail....The strength training class I am taking is offered at my work and it called "Women & Weights". Boy, my legs were SORE & TIGHT that night! lol
    So I know, I did something! lol :)
    I also walk with a friend of mine .7 of a mile 2x every work day.....All in all, my inspiration is wanting to LIVE without feeling gloomy, tired, and not wanting to look in the mirror....that to me, is not living....:)
    In the Women and Weights class, we did a little of cardio (2 min) and jumped right into doing push up's (i did them on my knees), many arm exercises and lunges( those killed me! lol) The class is 45 min long....After I get to learn some of these routines I will write the reps, and the moves..:)

Let me point out another thing that kept me from working out, I have asthma (late onset in adulthood)...I was diagnosed two years ago and in my mind that was a death sentence.....I have always feared not being able to breathe/labor breathing and now I have asthma...so it has taken me a while to "step out in faith" that God will guide me on how strenous the exercises I can do and to listen to my body. With me, its always been a trust issue and now I am stepping out and moving forward to a healthier me..:)

Thats my story....:)

Thank you for responding to my post..:D
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    you too,welcome:happy:
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    I am doing a class sponsored by my work called "Women and Weights" (45 min class).....and I am walking .7 miles 2x everyday with a coworker. I am not sure on what all the moves are but they def include push ups (i have to them on my knees), many diff arm routines, and lunges (those are killers! lol):)

I will post more specific as I attend these classes....They are only two days per week...Monday and Wednesdays...
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    I forgt this strength training class is offered two days every week (Mondays and Wednesdays)...:)
  • keely1998
    keely1998 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP feel free to add me as a friend if u ever need any motivation :smile:
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5.5" and started at 260.8. I know how hard it is to change your lifestyle and I wish you great success.
  • Nicolette04
    Nicolette04 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was reading about me. haha. I'm 5'5 as well and started out exactly at 260 lbs. I am a christian too, 26 years old and feel as I am growing in Christ and learning to love the life I'm surrounded by. I feel so great now, being on this journey. Mixing up the exercise has really helped me. I just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred last week, and I have dropped 5lbs since I started it. You can do it youtube for free or get it off amazon for less than 10$(which I did).

I would suggest buying a heart rate monitor. That really made a difference in my exercising. MFP seems to estimate high.
    It really is about calories in and calories out!!

Good luck and please friend request me if you want to.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Kristen,

Welcome to MFP, great job on taking the first step to getting healthy. I also have adult onset asthma as well as some other major health issues, for the longest time I used them as my excuse as to why I can't get healthy. I take 14 different prescriptions a day and my ultimate goal is to be off the majority of those. But I can do this and have been doing this. First step was fixing my diet, which has improved greatly.

Once I lost a little bit of my weight I started at around 285 lbs, then I started implementing exercise in slowly, in the beginning it took me doing a breathing treatment before and immediately after to do 5 minutes of exercise, but that does improve. I push myself everyday to do just a little bit more, I can now ride my bike for over an hour at a time, and then jump right into a workout DVD. My breathing treatments have gone from every 3 hours to now usually every 6-7. I still have a long way to go, but for every pound I lose I inch that much closer to being healthy and leading a regular life.

So you CAN do this! Great job on doing the strength training!

Have a wonderful day!
    Jen
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful and def motivating response....I am def taking this slowly and easing into these workouts...my other problem is always "jumping into it and overloading/overdoing it".....I basically go to one extreme to the other....in the past I either went "all out" or quit out of frustration....

I also have a hubby who is doing this with me (my first time for anyone to do this with me).....we are not working out together (yet), but we are def changing our eating habits....and weighing together once a week (our first weigh-in is Sunday)...:) We both are looking to lose 100 lbs in a year or 18 months...

But I am just looking at losing the pounds (not focusing hard on the time frame...that's where I normally started to get into trouble)....
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    Thank you Jen for your reponse....and CONGRATS on pressing pass the "hell" of Asthma and all the breathing treatments...I know how frustrating it can be and I appreciate your experience and perserverance! :)

Thank you so much for giving me inspiration!!! Very appreciative...:)

Hope everyone is having a Happy Friday!! :)
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    I have a Jillian Michaels DVD for 6 pack abs work out...(in all honesty, I am not going to have these in 90 days), I got this so I could progressively shrink my belly..:)

I know it will take time, and her warm ups are killer! lol :)
  • PostiveThinker
    PostiveThinker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! I love reading all these posts! Nice job everyone!!! Keep plugging away! Kristen, which club to you go to and are you set up on fitness plan/program? The YMCA offers a really great 12 week program that lets you print out your workouts and track them on a program called ActivTrax. Just asking because when you first start out it's good to have a "plan" instead of making it up yourself.
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    My first weigh in and I'm down 8 lbs!!!!!!:-) my hubby lost 10 lbs....yayyyyyyy
    :-)
  • KristenSolorio1
    Options
    Unfortunately, I developed whooping cough towards the end of june and I have been out of commission ever since...:( I am pushing myself to get back into the groove (one step at a time)...Not only am i tackling weight loss, I am tackling becoming debt free as well...:)

Just wanted to say hello to all and I am getting back into the groove...Hope everyone is doing great...
  • Kimmy9599
    Options
    Welcome and good luck in your weight loss, feel free to add me! :wink:
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me. :)
  • Rosiescoccimaro
    Options
    We have very similar goals! I am feeling so overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. I sure need friends. We should help each other :)