finding time to exercise with kids!

Options
I have a 6 week old and a 3 yr old and am having so much trouble finding time to exercise... I'm breastfeeding so don't want to diet and risk my milk supply.. I try to get outside and walk but am realizing that its just not realistic to go walking everyday.. So do any other parents have this problem and any suggestions on how to work out when I barely have time to shower!

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Is the father around? (Don't take this as judgement, just fact finding to help)
  • fatbride2012
    Options
    Yes he's around but works 55 hrs a week and takes care of the yard and cars etc..so he only has time to help me on weekends
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    is it weather that makes it unrealistic to walk more regularly? it sounds like you need a double pram or a baby carrier + single pram- I actually found it easier to walk to the supermarket with a pram, rather than put them in the car, when I had 2 under 2.

For flexibility, it sounds like you might need a short exercise dvd?
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do full time child care plus have 2 kids of my own, age 4 & 10. When I first started in Feb I use to do some small work outs while my daycare kids napped. I would use the Wii Fit or do the Just Dance 4 workouts. Stuff that was easy to stop if someone woke early or someone else needed me since I only had one that napped while the others were up & playing. I would take advantage of after school time & ask my oldest to take them to the bsmt to play while the little one who did nap had her 2nd nap so I could get in 30mins. Once they are gone, we either go as a family (my kids ride their bikes, hubby & I walk behind them), or I leave them with hubby & I go myself for an hour. If you have a double stroller that might be your best option, to put them in it & just go. Do it at a time where they'd be happiest. Early morning right after bfast is the time I go with my daycare girl while my son is in preschool (he just started part time 3 mornings /wk). She is happiest if I go then bc she is fed & dry & naptime isn't for another hour & a half so I won't have to worry about her being upset. Even if you get in 30mins a day, or 2 - 15min sessions, it all counts & then on the weekends, take your hour to yourself & leave them with hubby, or get out as a family. Good luck, I know its not easy but really we just find the little bits of time when we can spare it & squeeze it in!
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Can you do some bodyweight exercises when you have 2-3 minutes? Like get up and do 1 minute of squats, 1 minute of lunges, 1 minute of jumping jacks? Do that 4 times a day, and the next day do pushups, crunches, and high-knees? I'm just brainstorming here--I didn't get back to working out until my kids were quite a bit older, but I remember that time when you LITERALLY may only have 2-3 minutes before someone is screaming for you!!! I think if you break it up into small bits and do high-intensity exercises, you could see some results....good luck hon, I've been there...sheeesh, it's hard.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking both kids for a walk. Not sure why you can't do it everyday (depending on weather) Baby will sleep and you and the oldest can point out flowers or airplanes or whatever.

At home- when baby is sleeping, play with the older one. Play hide and seek, turn on music and dance in the living room. Don't worry too much about the chores.

Plan meals ahead to give you more time during the day for activities with the kids.

Breastfeeding burns so many calories. I wouldn't recommend you diet, but make sure you are eating healthy foods. Limit going out to eat, etc...
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I was going to give you my usual "if you want to do it, you will find the time" response, but taking care of a 6 week old is a pretty constant and demanding job.

Maybe look for some at home equipment online and workout when the 6 week old naps? You could have your monitor and 3 year old close by.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    Do you have a computer and some floor space? Check out Melissa Bender. She has a site and just about everything she does is bodyweight, short exercise routines. So you don't have to leave the children or even be five feet away from them. Most of her workouts are 15-30 minutes a day. She's on here, she's on facebook, she's on youtube, and she has a blog page. She posts a new workout every day. BenderFitness.com. Check it out....I HIGHLY recommend her! All free too!!
  • fatbride2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advise everyone and as for not being able to do it everyday...its not because of the weather but because I literally don't have time... Taking both kids on a walk is wonderful and works great its just getting out of the house that's the problem... Breastfeeding takes up alot of my day so I feel like as soon as I get things together its time to feed or pump again
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Thanks for the advise everyone and as for not being able to do it everyday...its not because of the weather but because I literally don't have time... Taking both kids on a walk is wonderful and works great its just getting out of the house that's the problem... Breastfeeding takes up alot of my day so I feel like as soon as I get things together its time to feed or pump again

Oh good lord, I remember those days...It will get easier, I promise...
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use to wake up an hour earlier than when I knew all the kids would be up. The baby, sometimes she'd wake up right in the middle of my workout, so I'd bring her out and lay her on a blanket or in her swing to watch me. I'd breastfeed as soon as I was done :-) I know what you're going through! There can be a lot of interruptions :-)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I remember what it was like, my tip is to leave a pram out in your entrance with a baby bag already packed in there.

It will get easier, promise!!
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hey
    i have a 2 yr old,3 yr old and a 6 yr old. and i usually do my workout videos during the day with my two younger boys at home. i get them to do it with me, they love it! and when i tell them they are doing a great job they get so excited to be exercising with mama. my two yr old has a set of 2lb weights, my 3yr old has a set of 3lb weights and my 6 yr old has a set of 4lb (they are to heavy for her but its what she picked out.lol) at the beginning it was hard, hell it was hard for me to actually do it lol. but now it is just normal for the boys to see me working out! with a new born that makes things a little different, but what about his/her nap time?