Calories I should eat a day while breast feeding but still l

Options
Hey my name is Heather and I am new to the site. I have a 2 year old and a 2 week old. I am currently breastfeeding and trying to figure out how many calories I need to eat a day to breast feed but to still lose weight. I weigh 145 now and I am 5'4 and 23 years old......can anyone here help me figure this info out?

Replies

• sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HI Heather,

If you baby is only two weeks old you should weight until the baby is at least six weeks old to ensure your milk supply continues to grow. After that you can you the site to figure out your calories and then add an extra 500 for breastfeeding to your daily total. I am also breastfeeding and this is the advice I recieved from my doctor.

Good luck.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I don't think you could work it exactly, but they say that breastfeeding uses 300-500 cals per day. So you need to add this to your daily calorie allowance. I never went below 1500 cals per day. Make sure that you listen to your body though. If you are hungry, you must eat, even if it takes you over your daily allowance. I know of a couple of ladies on here whose milk production suffered because they didn't eat enough.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It's been so long since I breastfed, I can't give you any suggestions. I did read a book Eat Well; Lose Weight While Breastfeeding and you can find it on amazon.
  • sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That should read wait not weight until your baby is six weeks old.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Once you're ready to start counting calories, you can add the ounces that your child eats and add it to the food tracker, not the exercise tracker. It's in there under one word.
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You really need to wait before you start restricting calories. Just try to eat healthily, take your vitamins, and get some walking in when you're ready. You don't want to start losing bone mass and muscle mass because they are going into your breastmilk.

Good luck... don't push yourself! You'll get back into your old clothes before you know it!
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on your new baby!! I have an 11 month old baby that I exclusively breastfed from day 1. I chose to use MFP for my daily calorie goals while on my weight loss journey. I have always used what the website gave me for my calories and NEVER added any extra calories. I set my goals to losing one pound per week which I thought was reasonable and not too aggressive. I started to get back to exercise when the baby was 6 weeks old and it was only at THAT point that I added calories to my daily allowance (the calories that I burned at the gym). I suggest eating a well rounded diet, set a reasonable weight loss goal per week, get rest, and exercise regularly. If you do NOT want your milk supply to be affected, nurse the baby on DEMAND - every time the baby seems hungry. You will find that you provide enough milk for your baby, feel fantastic, and lose weight all at the same time :-) :-) My baby is 11 months old now and I have lost 61 pounds by sticking to these simple rules!

ENJOY your baby!!

Erin
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggested you wait. I am also exclusively bfeeding and I waited until about 6 weeks to make sure my milk supply was well established. When I first started here on MFP, I added a few extra calories to my daily goal--but then gradually worked it down (watching closely for signs that she wasn't getting enough). I am doing fine now (she's almost 9 weeks) sticking to the calorie goal given to me by MFP. I don't really exercise a whole lot yet (simply because I have three kids and have a hard time finding time) but if you do, be sure to eat back most of those calories. Good luck!!
  • maddiesmama2008
    Options
    thanks!