Going from FAT to Healthy...

Options
I went to see my doctor today. I thought I had a hernia. She told me it's a fat pocket. I almost cried. I also have Type 2 Diabetes and will be taking 2000mg of Metformin daily, along with two other medicines. And this is on top of the 5 or 6 meds that I take for my heart and high cholesterol. She wants me to limit my carbs to 100 or less per day, eat at least 20 grams of fiber daily and cut out sugar and processed foods. This is not going to be easy. My starting weight is 214. My plan is to get to 175. I don't have any set date to get to my goal weight but, I'm pretty sure it won't take long if I can stick to this low carb/no sugar diet.

Anyway, I'm Angie. I'm 43 years old. I'm fat and diabetic. I quit smoking 3 months ago. I have coronary heart disease and high cholesterol. I am starting a journey tomorrow that isn't going to be easy, but just like quitting smoking, it will be worth it. :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. I'm not on a low carb diet, but I do eat essentially SLOW carb (and low crap). I try to avoid added sugars. Been eating this way for a decade or so, so it's second nature now.

Good luck on your journey! If you successfully quit smoking, you can totally do this!

ps: I'm not currently logging calories etc, but do often post what my meals are.
  • fireonmt69
    Options
    hi good luck im trying to get healthy also but not as many problems as you your still young you can do it it takes time tho nas I said good luck
  • FatAngie70
    Options
    Thank you
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - you'll look back in the future to today and you'll thank the doctor for being so frank and helping you to realise you needed to do something. So think about it positively - its a milestone and its made you take action.
    Use this site to log all your food - yes ALL of it - every day. The great thing is that no food is 'forbidden' - but you just need to remember that you have to add it - so you'll quickly realise that your choices are all-important if you're going to keep within your calorie goal. That said, sometimes I just have to have a treat and I make sure I factor that in (tonight it was a handful of Haribo sweets!).
    I'm on statins for cholesterol and a bunch of other meds - its a right pain taking them every day but the alternative isn't very appealing! Start simple by logging your food and maybe going for a walk each day; I started with just a 30 min walk over level ground. You'll start to see the pounds coming off and your joints will get freer each day.
    Good luck - you're at a turning point so make the most of it. Get up tomorrow and MAKE IT HAPPEN.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on this journey. It will be so worth it :)
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking! I'm sure your journey to health and fitness will be successful and probably less stressful than you think.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I am so glad to hear of a diabetic doctor telling you to limit your carbs. My dad is an insulin dependent diabetic and has not had such advice from his doc. Instead of eating to control his insulin levels, he uses his injections to control them and eats what he wants. It makes me so sad.

Wishing you a long and happy life and great journey!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm working to avoid a future of diabetes so I pretty much follow a low carb/low sugar diet. You're welcome to add me as a friend if you'd like, I'll blasphemous encourage you along.
  • FatAngie70
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support!:happy:
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You can do it if you want it bad enough. However, I really think you should add a Target date to your weight loss. You must have a goal date. Remember to plan your meals ahead :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started :)

Work on mini goals :)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was an insulin dependent diabetic. By eating less, moving more, and repeating, I have gone off insulin and only take metformin, which I will soon by stopping. You're right. It's not easy, but it can be done and it is worth it.
  • jessicadenton30
    Options
    Congrats on beating your smoking habit! That in itself is an amazing accomplishment. With dedication and determination like that, you will definately reach your goals! Good luck galfriend!
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! Good luck, and stick with that positive attitude and I have no doubt you'll see better days. I am not really watching carbs, but I have been trying to cut back on sweets. I'm good for support though! Feel free to add me.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey, sometimes the more drastic the change in diet the easier it is to stick with - it can be overwhelming so I hope you will be getting some meal planning support to help get you on the right track! Well done stopping smoking, I'm sure you will reach your goal weight in no time! :drinker:
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi, good luck with your goals. Start slow, keep positive and don't let other people distract you from your goal.
    I totally understand going to the doctor and hearing the inevitable "you need to lose weight". For me, it was constant nagging by my husband, and my doctor writing on my chart "lack of exercise"! I thought house cleaning, running errands, and spending endless time in the kitchen was also burning calories, but i was wrong. Watching the food channel and cooking to impress my family also got me fat. I no longer watch the cooking channel, instead i pop a Richard Simmons "dancing to the 80's" dvd and dance for an hour when i'm bored or i take my 2 dogs for a walk. I started jogging a little and journaling REALY helps me stay focused. I journal 2-3 times a day. Stay positive friend, you can do it one day at a time.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Aw, good on you for quitting cigarettes! I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. You're still young! I have two friends who've been able to lower, and ultimately get off their diabetes meds by controlling their diet and exercising. Even just walking daily helps! Has your doctor recommended any books? Sugar Busters! is pretty good for determining glycemic index, though I'm not sure if it's the most up-to-date. Good luck! Always remember, you CAN do this!!! If you slip up, get right back on and keep with it!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey.

Just take it one day, one step, at a time. You can do this. it may not be easy at first, but as you progress, and begin to eat healthier, and begin to look and feel better, you will see that it is worth it.