beet juice for breakfast weight loss, 25 pounds in 2 months

Options
so i have a friend who lost about 25 pounds in two months just by simply replacing his breakfast meal with a juice made of beet, carrot, apple, strawberries, blueberries, spinach/kale, and pineapple. Sometimes he'd miss a few of the ingredients but he said the main thing he always had in the juice was the beet. He used a nutribullet to pulverize all the veg and fruit. This allowed him to get all of the fiber and nutrients out of the veg/fruit instead of using a juicer which would strip the fiber away from the drink. Now, he is also very active, he's a tennis pro and plays everyday. I play tennis everyday as well and am pretty active. I was wondering what you guys would think of this story and if you think it would work for me. I cant help but be skeptic about it. He ate normally, no sort of extreme diet and its not like he ate cake and candy bars the whole time either. He just switched his breakfast out for the beet juice. What do you guys think?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In for magical juice. (No.)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ARF!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like eggs and bacon too much and I generally prefer to chew my food.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    More vegetables is always a good thing. Nothing magical about beets though, except for how beet juice turns your urine pink if you drink enough of it. That's pretty cool.
  • JSkorna
    Options
    I think he is burning more calories than he is taking in, so he is losing weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sounds gross.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It is likely that he created a deficit by drinking beet juice rather than eating his normal breakfast. At any rate, 25 pounds in 2 months is not healthy.

Eat food. Have a slight to moderate deficit based on how much you have to lose. Move your feet. Lift heavy things. Make it last, make a lifestyle.

There is nothing magic, fat burning, metabolism boosting, etc about beet juice.
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yeah but he said he didnt change anything about his diet except the beet juice and then within 2 months he lost 25 pounds, most would think he'd just maintain his weight but he didnt. and theres no way he could lose 25 pounds just by exercising in 2 months, at least i dont think it is.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    dwight-schrute-beet-it-funny-ben-and-jerrys-ice-cream-labels-flavors_zps12ac64b0.jpg

This is the only way I would consider beets in any form.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    dwight-schrute-beet-it-funny-ben-and-jerrys-ice-cream-labels-flavors_zps12ac64b0.jpg

This is the only way I would consider beets in any form.

I like beets on salad greens with goat cheese and walnuts . . . but Ice cream? Not so much.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    yeah but he said he didnt change anything about his diet except the beet juice and then within 2 months he lost 25 pounds, most would think he'd just maintain his weight but he didnt. and theres no way he could lose 25 pounds just by exercising in 2 months, at least i dont think it is.

Why would you assume he'd maintain? Going from a full breakfast (400 calories maybe) to a glass of juice certainly seems like a deficit to me.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Sounds like a great smoothie, but go ahead and eat or drink a ton of beets and see what happens... I know, we went through a mad beet phase.

Go ahead and try. I found my smoothies can't replace a meal, but I love them as a way to get more nutrients.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

If he ate high calorie breakfasts and switched to beet juice, that would achieve a caloric deficit.

If he didn't eat large breakfasts prior to beet juice, he created a caloric deficit another way.

If he wants to believe it was beet juice, he'll keep telling you it was the beet juice. But it wasn't the beet juice.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    will this really work?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Unicorn fertilizer is known for it's weight loss properties...........and beets love unicorn poo.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Beets are excellent for you but they are NOT the magic food. If he lost 25 pounds in 2 months ONLY replacing breakfast, his former breakfast must have been a heavy calorie load, in fact he needed to go from a breakfast of about 1500 calories a day to one of 100 -- which might have been true of the veggie smoothie. Probably some of his weight loss was water and some of it was probably because he unconsciously ate less at other times of the day due to his "morning reminder" (the smoothie). His former breakfast must have been a doozy!
  • ChicagoWalt
    Options
    Unicorn fertilizer is known for it's weight loss properties...........and beets love unicorn poo.

But they dont like cinnamon, just like tigers.
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    man, you guys are kinda being ridiculous. i mean havent you heard of people doing juice cleanses? i think my friend did the same thing. i mean the fiber from the beet probably pushed all of the junk that may have been stuck in his colon and intestines. its a possibility.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Why would you assume he'd maintain? Going from a full breakfast (400 calories maybe) to a glass of juice certainly seems like a deficit to me.

Actually, depending on how much he drank, he might not have a deficit. I juice - and the meals that I replace with/add to with juice are just as caloric (or more so) than my regular meals.

Juicing is not a "magic diet". It's healthy, because you get more vitamin benefit - I get more veggies in one glass of juice than I could eat in a sitting.

Beet juice is great for energy and for a lot of other things...but that alone will not make you lose weight.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I love beet pulp.... as horse feed.