I need some advice on this one. [Art nerds welcome!] =)

Options

Replies

• dukanukem
    Options
    A medieval archer shooting a arrow from a castle wall? Ok so I'm watching Game of Thrones at the moment lol
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You know how trees at the beach have their branches all growing in one direction? That's what I thought of....
  • mindphluxxx
    Options
    Air:

Oxygen, pollution, life, survival, freedom, open spaces, city vs. countryside, bioterrorism, health, natural forms, changing seasons...

Brain going crazy with things I'm linking with air!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would go abstract with this and focus on movement and color. But if you want to go traditional, hot air balloons make a nice subject.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    When i think of air, i like to think of intangible things, like a voice or sound. Something that you could never really grasp, hold or control, fleeting, something that manipulates that air\atmosphere.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    a sweet dunk, basketball -sweat everywhere. someone way off the ground about to pound the ball.
  • canadian_bacon
    Options
    I would do some hot air balloons
  • FarEastTexan
    Options
    I think of a dark night sky full of Thai sky/wish lanterns. Beautiful
  • MoreLikeMe43
    MoreLikeMe43 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't know if relation to "air" is required, but "Up and Away" makes me think of a child on a swing, trying to "shoot the moon," as we used to say. I see long hair trailing in the wind.

But if that puts me in the "I heart Thomas Kinkade" crowd, then I say make it a zombie child ... with tattered clothes trailing in the wind. :-D
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    When I hear up in the air I think of indision or possibly the clash of two ideas fighting for dominance with no clear advantage on either side.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    So I'm taking a survey of sorts, you could say. I am taking part in an art competition next month and I need some help with the theme. The theme is "Up & Away" which references air. I have to create a live painting on a street downtown in 6 hours that's on an 8' x 10' canvas.

So my question is, what do you picture when you think of "air" (besides the obvious blue sky and puffy clouds)? I have a few ideas that I'm working on, but I thought it'd be interesting to see how others interpret this.

Thanks in advance! :drinker: :heart:
    I was actually a paid artist back in my 20s honestly the first thing that came to mind when you say AIR. Tornado, could mix in some wild color make it very active scene, lots of color,. lot of action.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Love the suggestions here.
    I first thought of the ways dancers leap. The same goes for athletes, whether it's their bodies or the objects they propel (e.g., balls, javelins).
    Then I pictured flying insects.
    Air going "up and away" could also refer to air bubbles rising to the surface of water.

Good luck with the competition!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    I know this artist (photographer) and I think this would be super cool!

http://www.kathrynnee.com/#!untitled/zoom/c1pw/image1prx
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Imagine a very orange/red/pink sky with bright white clouds. Imagine that you're looking up at the sky from the ground. There's a single balloon, with a long trailing white string that pops against the orange from the sky. The balloon is light blue and shiny and in it's reflection you can see the far away ground; buildings, cars, grass, a small child with her hand in the air.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    that scene from pocahuntus (cant spell) Where the wind taste the leaves and flies! Id do something like that or the bottom of a plane in the sky with the white streaks they leave behind.
    Or have a lady laying on a fluffy cloud with her face pleasant and a finger with a single drop of water on it looking down at the world like shes mother nature?
    Make sure you post what you did.

OR have like two colours
    rightis red and orange supporting the sun rise and all the rays push over to the left which is blue and black from the night with the moon and moon rays with a sprinkle of stars, you could like have a vibrant cloud down the middle that separates it and put a few glows like a thunder storm and lightening. (If only I could paint, that would look awesome!)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I picture fabric rippling in the wind; a flag, a hang glider's wings, parachute, a silk scarf, or if you ever saw Priscilla Queen of the Desert, the scene with Guy Pearce in the crazy silver lamé getup on top of the bus, zipping through the desert with the streamers gleaming against the cobalt sky.

Of course there is a youtube clip of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcXsTBvQ8A
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    When I heard the theme my mind went to a Hot Air Balloon, but I could also easily see something like a kite or a bird working. Other ideas might be more imaginative, like a child running through a field with arms outstretched, imagining (s)he is flying. Lots of ideas.

I'm an artist too, and even thinking about this has me imaging paintings.

Another option would be an abstraction of any of the ideas you receive.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I am also an artist (photographer) and haven't read any other posts, here's what come off the top of my head:

That plastic bag from American Beauty, leaves in a whirlwind, kite boarders, windmills, helicopter taking off/landing (windsock), a woman's long hair blowing in the breeze, an old man losing his hat.