What should I do!? O.O

Options
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the community and i'll be honest...i'm at a complete loss as to how to really go about "Exercising".

My doctor had actually said that I should stray away from much physical activity...due to the weight I will be putting on my joints. :/

I don't really feel pain with anything unless I do something for long periods of time. Then again, I haven't been much physical in a long time...

Will you guys help me with what should I do?

Should I focus on eating better for now?
Should I go walking for 30 minutes to an hour every day?
Should I do like...sit ups and stuff instead...since I wont be on my legs?

Like I said, i'm at a complete loss...

I'd appreciate any suggestions, work outs, anything at all. :D

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    First of all welcome to the community! This is a great place to start.
    To answer your questions, definitely focus on your diet and making good choices. Fix areas that you know need adjusting. As for exercise, do you have an injury or condition that would hurt you?? Why would your dr. say stay away but not give you options?
    If you have injuries or a condition, then obviously your doctor knows best. But I would say start small-- walk a set time (maybe 15-20 min) and gradually increase your time/distance. If weight bearing activities are not allowed, get to a pool, use a bike and again, start small and make changes as you can. Weight training is another very important component. I would highly suggest meeting with a good PT so they can teach you proper form and exercises for you.

Again, I reiterate, if there is anything holding you back such as an injury or condition, listen to your dr, but ask them to help you make choices as to what you SHOULD do.
  • Cyliesmom
    Cyliesmom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I hope you find all the support you need here. Everyone has a story of what works and doesn't work for them. When you hear all these ideas, my best advice to you is take what you like and leave the rest. In terms of exercise, I suggest going back to your doctor and seeking clarification. When I was very heavy I asked my doctor about running, he advised against it because of the stress on joints/ knees and suggested I wait until I was only 20-30pounds overweight before running. Since my GP is a doctor and a marathon runner, I thought it best to heed his advice. In the meantime I did weight training, walking, and used the elliptical machine at the gym. Good luck on your journey ....
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? One option might be a recumbent bike, as you sit back so you shouldn't have as much weight on your knees and ankles. There are also aerobic machines where you "pedal" with your arms instead of your legs. Another might be water aerobics, which are often recommended for people with arthritis in the joints , the water helps with the pressure on the knees but also gives you some resistance. My gym also has an indoor track so you can walk where it is flat and cushioned and out of the rain and cold! Just some thoughts and best of luck to you on your journey!
  • MissRavenD
    Options
    Thank you very much for the welcomes. :D

The reason why the doctor said to stray away was because of my weight and what it would probably do to my joints. (Honestly, she was quite a *****...haha)

She did not give me any advice other than eat better and avoid much work... O.o

(Also, she isn't even MY doctor...I have yet to get a Doctor; and I plan on doing so!)
  • MissRavenD
    Options
    As for if I go to the Gym. I do not.

It costs entirely too much here in Florida! >.< At least for me...haha

I think i'll try walking and seeing how my body reacts to that. Push myself, but knowing when "too far is too far", you know?

I guess i'll mainly focus on eating better though. (Giving up my addiction to Soda~! Oh goodness...haha)

From what i've been told, I should notice some big improvements sooner than i'm expecting... *fingers crossed*
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Reduce calories. Start walking. Look at a fitbit, or body media type device if it helps motivate you.

Start off with what you are comfortable with.

Add more time to your walks each week.

Hold yourself accountable.

Eat less. Move more.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ignore the doc for starters. while there is some merit to the advice in regards to don't push too hard, the lack of quality movement alternatives shows she has a complete lack of understanding of load forces on the joints.

Want low impact? start swimming, rowing, eliptical, biking for cardio. And start lifting in general for resistance training.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would start in a pool. If you can't really swim yet, it's ok, just get in and get moving. Aqua aerobics might be very well suited for you. Being in the water enables you to start working your muscles and cardiovascular system with very little joint impact.

If you're worried that you aren't in bathing suit shape yet, don't fret. I see people regularly at the pool with as much weight to lose as you have, and I mentally cheer them on because it's totally awesome that they're there. I would even like to verbally cheer them on, but I don't want it to be misconstrued as mocking so I just do it silently, and hope they get good vibes. :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You can try leslie sansone. Low-impact at-home walking videos. She has a ton of them. You can youtube some as well.
  • MissRavenD
    Options
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate all of your help. :)

Yeah, I have decided that i'm going to be active...and push myself...but know my limitations.

I love to swim, I adore swimming...and even though i'm a big girl, I don't look like I weigh as much as I do. THANK GOD HONESTLY... O.O

Really guys, thank you all so much....with all of your help, I can do this. We can all do this. :)

You guys are awesome. ^_~