Tempations on the Job

Options
I work in a cake shop. I decorate the cakes. It's one of the reasons I got to where I am with my weight. There would be a taste here and another little tidbit there and oh look, cakes slices near expiry? Sure I'll take them.

Now I've been trying to not indulge at work, but some days are harder then others. There is a new product to try, or tasting the icing to check if it is the right flavor. It sucks sometimes.

So I was wondering if any of you have the same problem and how do you deal with it?

Replies

• sarahmax0817
    Options
    Yes I do!!! I work at a local cafe and we have all kinds of great deep fried foods and sweet treats! It is really bad when we are slow.....then I want to snack and taste test, just like you said. It is hard. I try to pre-log my food before I go to work, so I know I already said I was going to eat so and now I have to eat it! That way it makes me stick to my health commitment. OR if I know I want a cheeseburger that night I just stick to my calories and plan to allow for that splurge. Also, everyone I work with knows that I am health conscious and trying to loose a few lbs. They will give me a hard time if they see me put a cookie in my mouth, so that helps. Go public and let others know your goal....you might be surprised on who helps you stick to it or who you influences to start their own health challenge :)
  • LuckyFur
    Options
    I work at a strip club so you can imagine the temptations I have to deal with.
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant as well; it can be really hard not to snack at work, especially when business is slow. I like to eat just before I go to work, and I try to take a snack with me for when it is slow.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I work at a strip club so you can imagine the temptations I have to deal with.

Yes, I imagine the sweaty buffet food is hard to say no to.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why I chose to turn down the job offer I got from Papa John's Pizza when I was working through my college years. I feel for you ladies, and I wish I had advice for you. I just knew that I would become obese in less than 2 months working around cheese and pepperoni all day. I can imagine who cakes would be just the same way.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Log your entire day worth of food in the morning.
    When you want that piece of cake/pie/etc you'll KNOW it doesn't fit into your macros and calories before you eat it and theoretically avoid it. Works for me :tongue:

When I didn't pre-log my brain is like "Oh it's just one piece, no big deal!" and then end of the day I realize I went waaaay over.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't work with food, but I work in an office where people bring cakes, donuts and cookies every single day. Just this morning they brought in mini cheesecakes for everyone. If I ate the food they bring everyday I'd be obese. I always make sure I have tons of healthy snacks available to help fight the temptations, things like fresh fruit, almonds, and oatmeal. I pretty much ALWAYS say no, to the point they don't even ask me if I want any anymore.