AIRPLANE SEATS :(

Options
So I am flying in a week on a 2.5 hour flight to Florida. I'm 5'9 and a size 20. I am making myself sick worrying if the airplane seatbelt is going to fit me. Can anyone give me stories if you recently flew and what I should be expecting???

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My colleague is very heavy. He can't fit into a regular economy seat and the airplane stuff always transfer him to the business class. It makes him always super happy.

And if the seatbelts are too short, they provide with an additional extra piece to lengthen it.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm talking European flights, I'm not sure what they would do on local flights without business class.

But don't worry, the airplane stuff will do everything to make you comfortable. It's their duty to make sure you're safe.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, we are pretty similar. I fit in the seatbelts no problem.

That doesn't mean that the width of the seats doesn't suck royally or anything though haha.
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about the seat width. I'm flying with my bf and we will put the armrest up between us so that's not an issue. I am just worried about the seat belt :( I will be horrified if I need a seatbelt extender. I will cry the entire flight.
  • notdorothy
    notdorothy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's really going to depend on plane size. To fly from my small Texas city to DFW, we have these small jets. When I was my heaviest (a size 20), one of them was a tight fit, but I made it happen. The other one, it didn't fit.

Now this IS NOT my advice. But I freaked out and hid it under my cardigan instead of asking for the extender. Most turbulent flight to date.

However, I never had an issue on the bigger planes that flew from Dallas to Philly or Kansas City or Nashville.

So I wouldn't worry about it if you're flying a bigger plane from a bigger hub to Florida.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Last time I flew, I was a size 22 and the seat belt JUST fit without an extension. You should be okay, although no flight has ever really been "comfortable" as far as I've seen. :P

ETA: These were the smaller sized planes, too.
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had this issue as a size 24, seat was uncomfortable, I felt like I was crowding those around me and I needed a belt extension. I made changes and the last time I flew I sat comfortably with alot of extra room and slack on the seat belt. Use this as motivation.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing its your first time flying if you are this worried about it. I'm sure your fine. Plus its only 2 hours so who cares.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I flew last year, it was a 737 aircraft and I was an AUS size 20 which I think is a US 18. I had plenty of room in the seatbelt. I have flown in the past in a smaller plane and was more like an AUS 22/24 at the time and needed an extension. I didn't die from embarrassment, although I really didn't like asking for the extender :/ Try not to worry about it, just deal with whatever happens. After all, if you're on MFP then next time you fly it could be a completely different story... whatever size you are now is only temporary :) And even if you do need an extender, you won't be the first person ever to ask. Try to relax and enjoy your flight.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the specific plane. Domestic flights generally tend to be less comfortable than linger hauls, and no-frills airlines tend to be stingy on space. Having said all that, in the past few years where I've been around size 20 - 22 - 24 I had a problem only on one flight ( and I think that the seatbelt was cut because in ten day period I had flown on four separate flights and this was. The ONLY time I had needed an extension). Other than that, I've had flights where the seat belt was at its biggest size but i could get it so you should be fine

Make sure you don't have one of those annoying seats where the arm rest doesn't go up - those are vdry uncomfortable especially if you are large. Usually these are in the front row or the back row.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Oh and you won't die of embarrassment and UT's nothing tto cry over. The FAs are very professional and mattematter-of-fact about it; most likely nobody else will even notice
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    So I am flying in a week on a 2.5 hour flight to Florida. I'm 5'9 and a size 20. I am making myself sick worrying if the airplane seatbelt is going to fit me. Can anyone give me stories if you recently flew and what I should be expecting???

You will be fine. I'm 5`11" and was a size 20 last year when I flew to Florida last year. I was lucky and upgraded to business class and got the first row so I had a little extra leg room. But the seatbelt fit fine.
  • KelzM21
    Options
    I fit some seatbelts in planes, and not in others - however I am a bit bigger than you are. If you need an extender, just push the button to call the attendant over and they usually are very discrete about passing one (well the airlines I have flown with anyway, not sure where you live!). They understand how embarrasing it can be, but in the end you need to be safe and there's no point worrying about it the whole flight! You will probably find you are ok :-)
  • bob303
    Options
    you may want to ask for a seat belt extension it may be more comfortable
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    The uncomfortable part of my flight was when my daughter and I realized that a very large gentleman was in our seats and he had to move back to his assigned seat. I felt bad but I did pay for those particular seats, and there were 2 of us and 1 seat left so we had to do it.
  • starscreensiren
    starscreensiren Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I used to be that exact size; 5,9" and a size 20....well I am still 5,9" ;) - and I always fit. Sometimes it was snug but I always fit. You will too :) Don't worry.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I was a size 20 in a 5ft body and have never had an extension. I know how you feel because I would have been very upset and embarrassed to have to ask for one. The belt has always fit with room to spare. Enjoy your trip and stop worrying. You will be fine
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If asking is the problem, you can buy an extender beforehand. My husband has one and he keeps it in his carry-on. Sometimes he needs it, usually not, but some seat belts are shorter than others. He even offers it to others if they need it and he doesn't. Actually, after getting "chewed out" he doesn't offer to women any more, just guys.
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid to ask for an extension if I was alone, but in front of my bf.......that's the terrible part :( I have flown before but that was like 10 years ago and 30 pounds lighter. I don't think I'm flying a smaller plane. I'm flying Delta from Michigan to Florida.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've asked for seatbelt extensions before. I asked for it in passing as soon as I go on board and walked by a flight attendant. It really is no big deal and it's very subtle. I rather ask for one and not need it then sit down, try to get settled and be like... :\ Derp!

I've only caught snotty flight attendents exchange comments about me one time, but most of the time, they don't care. They're doing their job and you're a customer on their flight. And most flight attendants are nice people.

What bothered me is when I was flying Southwest, they have their 'person of size' policy, which I read about online. I was very self-concious about my size and automatically assumed that I would be considered too big and so I paid for two seats with my reservation. Sure as sh** there were people way bigger than me who did not have the 'person of size' policy enforced. Anyway, luckily the flight was not overbooked, so I got a refund for the extra seat I paid for.