A little confused on two things....

Options
Hi everyone!!! Hopefully someone can clear some confusion with me. First off, is it realistic to set a goal of 5lbs of weight loss per month? Also, how often should I weigh myself without getting discouraged?

Replies

• D_Truong
    Options
    Hi there,

I'd say that losing 5lbs per month is certainly achievable as long as you follow the guidelines regarding your calorie intake. As for weighing yourself, I would suggest doing it only once per week, because water consumption can make your weight fluctuate on a daily basis.

Good luck on your goals!
  • mellawella77
    mellawella77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, 5 lbs is completely realistic. I've been consistent for the last month with logging my food and exercise everyday and I have lost 5 lbs. You have to be consistent. You have to try your best to stick close to your calorie goals and you have to exercise. If you do that as much as possible you should see results. I weigh once a week. If you weigh more than that it won't be accurate because bodyweight can fluctuate a pound or two from day to day.

Good luck on your journey, make lots of friends, they help you stay motivated. You can add me if you like too.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Absolutely. I'd say about 2 pounds a week is the most you can really 'plan' for; anything over that would generally be difficult to maintain.

About the scale...please please please take it with a grain of salt. Your measurements and their progress matter so much more. I've seen so many people here on MFP literally talk themselves out of their progress because the scale didn't move. Only after much goading do they reveal that the day before they went over the top on sodium-rich foods and as such their bodies were retaining every drop of water they could hold! So take your measurements and check them every week or two.

Once you see those inches start to fall consistently OVER TIME (we're in this for the long haul, ladies and gents), you'll see that the scale is just one small piece of the puzzle.

Best of luck to you!