water drinking and driving

Options
I recently started a new job that has me driving many miles every day (yay, pays well and its a great fit!). The problem is, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get all my water in during the day (as if it weren't hard enough when I sat at home all the time). If I drink too much I end up having to stop every 5 minutes cause it goes right through me. I've heard that you should sip water slowly continuously so as not to have to stop so often (and to stay hydrated while driving), but this only allows me to get 1-2 glasses of a water in a day. Any suggestions on a better way to get all my water without having to stop on the road so often?

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road a lot for work too and I've found that I'll start out sipping slowly, then when I know I have a stop coming up whether there is a rest area or stopping to eat, I'll drink up faster before stopping. That way I can use the restroom when I stop. I also make it a goal to finish a certain amount by the time I do stop.
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a realtor. Driving from one place to another on the daily. i refuse to use a homeowners bathroom while showing homes so it makes it a little tough on occasion. I keep water with me but the more I drink the more thirsty I am. I just go to the bathroom a lot. It's not convenient and it sometimes makes me a little late but there is no way that I'm going to go back to my previous lifestyle. Like With all things, it gets easier to deal with the longer you try.
  • roxweb
    roxweb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when I know I have a stop coming up whether there is a rest area or stopping to eat, I'll drink up faster before stopping. That way I can use the restroom when I stop. I also make it a goal to finish a certain amount by the time I do stop.

great idea!
  • roxweb
    roxweb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a realtor. Driving from one place to another on the daily. i refuse to use a homeowners bathroom while showing homes so it makes it a little tough on occasion. I keep water with me but the more I drink the more thirsty I am. I just go to the bathroom a lot. It's not convenient and it sometimes makes me a little late but there is no way that I'm going to go back to my previous lifestyle. Like With all things, it gets easier to deal with the longer you try.

Yes, I don't want to be asking clients for the use of their bathrooms either. Seems too intrusive. I'm sure I'll find a work-around.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am sure the home owner is grateful for your consideration.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I read this book once and the author did what she called, "Three before you leave" which meant she would drink 3 glasses of water every day before she left the house. One immediately after waking up, another after getting ready and another before leaving. You will have to pee when you arrive at your first destination, but then if you can get 2 more in during the day while you are in the car you would only have to (in theory if you are going for 8 glasses) drink 3 more at home for the rest of the evening.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The solution is not to drink that much.

If you're having to go to the bathroom every hour, and you don't have some sort of kidney or bladder disorder, you're drinking too much.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The solution is not to drink that much.

If you're having to go to the bathroom every hour, and you don't have some sort of kidney or bladder disorder, you're drinking too much.
    This. Drink when you're thirsty, stop when you aren't. There's no medical or biological need to drink some random, arbitrary amount of water. You have a thirst response for a reason, and it's very efficient at telling you if you need to drink.

Most of the fluid you need for hydration comes from the food you eat.