Strength training?! Ladies, help!

Options
I really want to start strength training, but have no clue where to start?! I'm a cardio-a-holic that really needs to switch it up and work my muscles.

Stats: 4"11
156 lbs
Goal 119 (healthy BMI)
I currently eat 1520ish calories daily and generally don't eat my exercise calories back.
I do about two hours of cardio most days, looking to add strength training.

I'm brand new to strength training, so how do I begin? What changes do I need to make?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to start off with compound lifts like: chest press, shoulder press, one-arm dumbbell rows, squats, deadlifts, and lunges.

Make sure you get a good amount of protein and carbs after you lift. Nutrition is essential to building muscle. If you don't give your body what it needs to repair the muscle that you just damaged by lifting, then you won't see much progress.

Since you are new to lifting, you could do two full body workouts a week to start with. See how you feel after a while. You could add a third day of lifting when you feel that you can handle it.

If you are pushing yourself with lifting, you likely won't be able to do two hour cardio sessions. The lunges, squats, and deadlifts will do a number on your legs.

Personally, when I'm maintaining, I lift three times a week and do cardio once a week (twice a week is difficult because my legs need time to heal from lifting). I'm someone who has to do more cardio when I'm trying to lose weight - so in that phase I lift twice a week, run twice a week, and do a lighter cardio session once a week.

Hope this helps!
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I will probably start doing my strength training on Saturday as Sunday is my rest day, and build my way up to a couple times a week.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube it has some great ladies that show you how to do it right
  • fishnr2
    fishnr2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would look on www.bodybuilding.com . you can find there some workout plants with how to videos and nutrition information