Hey! What now?

Options
Hey!

I started my most recent weight loss effort in early January 2010. I started at 305 lbs. and have dropped 26% of my body weight and am now 223 lbs. I started using MFP shortly after I started my dieting. I absolutely could not have accomplished my weight loss without counting calories and MFP made it easy to count.

I’ve reached my goal weight (even though my BMI of 28 indicates I’m still overweight). It’s been tuff! Now the hard part, maintaining. I’ve increased my exercise significantly in the last 6 weeks. I’ve been really exhausted lately and I hope taking in a few more calories will help “pick me up”.

I’m more than a little concerned about keeping it off. I’ve lost weight before over the years and have always put it back on within a year or two. I have a plan this time and that is to continue counting calories.

George225

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the following process (that is what I wish I'd done the first time I'd switched to maintenance):wink:

Slowly up your calories to maintenance. (think 100-200 additional calories a day for a week or two at a time).

Still track your progress, and see if you

1. continue to lose (means you still need more calories to maintain)
    or
    2. start to gain (means you might need less calories to maintain)

Don't worry too much about small fluctuations, but if you have two-three weeks of steady weight gain or loss.

Give it time...maintenance requires a lot more patience than losing, I have found.:flowerforyou:

Oh, and congratulations!:drinker:
  • njjbosse
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about your BMI being a little high, i calculated my husband's and mine the other day and he has a BMI of 26.9, for being 6' and 185lbs, and he has the flattest stomach ever. he's the furthest thing from overweight, i think that getting an accurate BMI on a man is more difficult because they don't account for muscle mass, and any man who regularly excersizes is going to weigh more because of the density of muscle as opposed to fat. sounds like you're doing great, congratulations!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    regarding that BMI, Body Mass Index chart.,.......no doctor uses it, had mine tell me so, as its all propaganda from the govtI

I know one guy, hes almost 6 foot, in excellent shape, 30 inch waist, solid muscle, and if he gains 3 lbs, it puts him in the overweight catagory..

You know your body, if you think youre healthy where you are after this weight loss, then so be it...........Congratulations on your loss

I have 3 more months till Im at mine, and Im focused and will arrive, just like you........Good Luck.......Lloyd
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a great weight loss! If your waist is somewhere close to 35 inches, then you should be within the healthy range for your body. Stomach fat is the most dangerous kind and the less of it the better.
    You said you have been tired lately. Might get yourself checked for anemia. Are you eating enough protien to make up for all the exercise? Do you make sure you have some iron in your diet? I take a multivitamin each day since today's foods are more deficient of vitamins than they were even 50 years ago.
    Congrats, again, on your new physique. Have fun! :drinker: (water)