Disheartened!!

Options
Hi everyone, I apologise in advance for this message because I can see from all your fabulous weight losses that MFP works but its just not working for me and I don't understand why. I have been logging since July, and I will admit there have been a few days since that I either didnt log or went over my limits but apart from that I've stuck with it and I've been exercising loads but my weight is just not changing.quite the opposite actually, I weighed myself this morning to find that I've actually gained just under 2lbs. I just wondered if anybody else has experienced this or am I just doing everything all wrong??

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your going to have to open up your diary for us to take a look and we'll need more info height ,weight, how much are you exercising, are you measuring and weighing ALL your food intake, what calories total are you currently eating, to name a few........
  • knickersb1
    Options
    Sorry this is my first time to post to the forum. I'm 5' 6" and I weigh 146lbs right now. The only thing I cant seem to keep down in my diary (which is open now) is my sugar, that's almost always too high. I've been jogging, I'm averaging about 4 miles around four days a week and I've also started doing some tiffany rothe exercises.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes, your going to have to open up your diary. Also, have you measured yourself. Sometimes you'll lose inches, but gain weight due to gaining muscle. Measure your chest, waist, thighs, hips, and biceps. Finally don't give up, if you need someone to hold you accountable check out my profile and add me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You have a few days of not logging each week.
    You have a lot of "servings" rather than specific weighted items.
    You have lost 3 lbs out of 10. So weight loss is slow for the last 10.

Suggestions -

- adhere more closely to logging
    - track calories more precisely by weighing food (weight not "servings") and tracking exercise
    - don't bother dropping calories, you are still losing but not at the speed you want, have patience - it will come.
    - if you feel you need help in creating a bigger deficit -increase activity slightly (whatever type of activity you prefer)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have found for me that MFP does not work unless you get really serious about logging, when I fist started on here I was way off on many of the foods I was eating, I thought some were good for me and they were terrible and vice verse. There does seem to be a consistancy of one of 2 days a week you don't log, and I know from personal experience the days I don't log I am being really bad and don't want to fess up to it. If that is what you are doing then one day really can ruin an entire week of hard work.

There is also the general advice of make sure you are really truely recording the correct serving size, thats another common problem.

Most people do not worry too much about sugar if it is coming from a good place (fruits are the big killer but thats a natural source). If you are getting alot of added sugar in your diet that can be a proble.

Sometimes it is helpful to find frineds who are about your size and have similar gaols and exercise plans, it never hurts to steal someone elses ideas, most people are happy to share.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You only started mid-July and have lost a few pounds. That's not a bad result when you only have a small amount to lose.
    Have patience, it's not a race. :smile:

PS - don't worry about the sugar (unless you have specific medical issues), your overall calorie deficit is much more significant. Many people don't even bother tracking it as it is a sub-set of carbs anyway.
  • knickersb1
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice and words of encouragement, I really appreciate them! I guess I just need to be stricter on myself but I'll get there :)
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments, I'd also like to add, how much water do you drink?? aim to drink 8-10 glasses a day, it really does help.

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    with 10lbs to lose you should be aiming to lose 0.5lb per week.

do some resistance/strength training and make sure you are getting plenty of protein.

weigh and measure EVERYTHING
  • a_lynn_white
    a_lynn_white Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, and take my measurements once a month. At this point I am more concerned about losing inches....I don't just want to be thin, I want to be healthy....and weight isn't always a good indicator of a healthy lifestyle. Just keep it up and remember that this is a lifestyle change, not just a crunch to lose weight for a period of time. No one gains their weight overnight, you gain it slowly, and lose it the same way. You can do this, just be patient and stick to it!
  • simplebeauty
    simplebeauty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself...add in WHOLE foods.....minimize packaged items (they contain lots of sodium).....your body will work better when fully nutritional foods are consumed (and even packaged "healthy" foods still contain plenty of sodium)
    Take you fave recipes and find a way to make them more nutritionally friendly vs. nutritionally void.

..start your day with a glass of lemon water...it gets your metabolism "running" and starts to detox your body via the liver!

...and most of all...don't worry....weight loss isn't an overnight thing....
  • knickersb1
    Options
    thank you all for your replies :happy:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    don't get your knickers in a knot,
    go kick some butt!