Veteran

Options
Hey everyone,

My name is Daniel, I just recently left active duty from the United States Marine Corps as a Captain after 9 years. I used to always be in absolutely great shape, could out PT anybody from my platoon, and could run circles around fellow officers, but this all changed drastically on September 1st 2011. While stationed in Okinawa Japan I was clipped by a local national while on my motorcycle which caused me to flip the bike. The injuries i sustained were extensive (14 broken ribs in over 20 places, severely crushed and damaged both of my lungs requiring 4 chest tubes, broken right clavicle, broken left scapula, and a herniated disc in my back. not to mention the significant muscle damage). Thankfully the Marine Corps found me in the line of duty not due to misconduct so I am now working through the pain with the support of the VA. I have, unfortunately do to the sedentary nature these injuries placed me in, gained approximately 40 lbs since my accident. My goal weight is to be 175 lbs (+/- 3). Although I am finding it extremely difficult to motivate myself due mostly in part to having no straightforward plan or anyone to work out with.

Even though my dream profession was cut short by the careless actions of someone who fled the scene of the accident, I still strive to be a role model for my 4 year old son.

Any help or advice in regards to: Dieting, workout schedule / plans, and realistic goal setting would be greatly appreciated and most welcomed.

Thank you!

Semper Fidelis,

Daniel

Replies

• LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Welcome home. Lots of people here to help you. You can do this....just be patient it's not going to happen overnight. But you have made a step in the right direction:happy:
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service Daniel. I don't have any brilliant advice. I just eat more fruit and veggies as opposed to the crap I used to eat. I've lost a bunch of weight but have much more to go.

Your son is proud of you!
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    CAPT,

Sometimes it's easier to revert to what we learned during our PT sessions. Sometimes it's easier to get help and relearn it all.

My advice would be to first make sure you are completely healed. Find a dynamic training facility that offers a movement and flexibility screening, and that will tailor a routing around your deficiencies to strengthen those areas back up before really hitting anything else. Think of it as physical therapy with weights.

I use running as an outlet to some issues I am working through. It helps my ADD as well as some CIS issues that are popping up from over 15 years ago. Start slowly. Make sure your doctors OK you to go forward....

BMC sends.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the mishap to cut a career cut short.
    Not sure how close you are to a military hospital but they have a nuturtionist that can give you a meal plan that will assist in your weight.
    There are folks on this site that can also help. Lotss of folks able to set you up with exercise plans.
    It may take time but it can be done. Get clearance from your Doctor before starting an exercise program due to your injuries.
    A realistic goal would be a 1 1/2 - 2 lbs per week.

Semper Fi

(Retired USN)
  • firefightergal30
    firefightergal30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello sir, I am still in AD Air Force and am currently going through the MEB process myself due to 2 hip surgeries and no future on full recovery. I am a firefighter and can no longer bare the weight of my gear nor perform my duties because of the extent of my injuries. It is a tough pill to swallow when you can no longer perform the job you love, I know that! I too have put on some weight from my injuries and am currently going through the new PT program over here at Ramstein, Germany. The great folks here at the Landstuhl medical center have created a program and are looking to introduce it to scientists and doctors to help wounded warriors and chronic pain patients like myself get back moving. I have been in this program that includes acupuncture, movement therapy and yoga. They offer a few other things but for the sake of weight loss I will tell you about the physical part of it all.

The stretching consists of a few different movements that involve waling 20 paces one direction then back. The movements stretch the entire body. If you are interested I can send them to you. It's too much to put in this reply. I am currently trying to get it all on one word document so I can use it to help others. We spend 20 min. doing the streches then a warm up of 10 burpies, 10 supermans, 10 flat back sit ups, 10 body squats, 10 dips. Then we get into our workout. The workout itself is 20 minutes long. They mainly consist of our body weight. There are some workouts where weight is used but it is always low weight, just high rep. We usually go through 4-5 different movements with 30-60 seconds of rest depending on what workout were doing for that day.

The bottom line is to keep moving. You may not fininsh the entire workout the first time but based on the extent of your injuries, it's to get you back to moving. I know from experience it is very hard to get back moving once you've been injured for fear of the pain or reinjury. This class has helped me get over the fear of moving and I have regained some of my stregnth back. There are some things I will never be able to do but at least it gets you moving. The biggest thing that is preached is that no one is going to push you harder than you're willing to push yourself. You will only get out of your workouts what you put in. If you don't hit failure then you will not gain. I havent seen the scale move but that has not discouraged me at all. I have seen the tape measure move so I guss thats what matters the most. Not to meantion I feel stronger. Before I could hardly make it through 10 burpies. I still hate them but I can do them much easier without having to modify like I used to.

Being that you are still recovering from your injury and knowing that you were military, I know what kind of PT you went through. I went through lots of PT for both my back and hips. They tend to treat site specific. I think (and the doctors that I am being helped by think) that if you stregthen the whole body you will get a better overall result. Just keep moving! The yoga is great especially right after a tough workout like the one I mentioned above. I never thought I would do yoga. I thought it was something that hippies did. (sorry if I offend, not trying to) But the stuff we do is pretty challenging but gives you such a great stretch at the same time. I never thought I would sweat in yoga. After my second hip surgery I became so stiff. I could hardly bend over or bring my leg up to me to put a sock on. Since the yoga, I have become better at it. I think it is all just a matter of overcoming the fear of moving again. I am sorry this was so exstensive but I am so excited about all I've learned, I just want to share it with the world!
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Daniel, thank you for your service. The VA has the resources to help you. Ask your VA doctor. They can help you.
    Joining MFP is a step in the right direction.