Pregnant

Options
I had just lost 45 pounds and was half way to my goal when I found out I'm pregnant! Yes, thankfully I'd already lost the 45# so I'm not gaining baby weight on top of all that. But I really am having a hard time accepting the weight gain. I am 10 weeks along and I've already gained 10 pounds!!! (about 7 more than the recommended amount) I am trying my best not to be one of those people who gain 50 pounds during preganancy, but at this rate I'll be back to my starting weight when I have this baby. I was out of work for 2 weeks with an injured back, so I'm hoping that being back at work will help with some of the munching I've been doing. However, the problem is, if I don't eat every 2-2 1/2 hours I get REALLY nauseous. And lets not even get me started on the damn pregnancy cravings!!! And the saying "don't get between a pregnant woman and her food" is true.....It could be downright suicidal to do so! Anyway, has anyone been pregnant and successfully kept the weight gain to a minimum? I'm talking people who have started off the pregnancy with weight issues, and food issues, and not starting off all skinny and healthy.

Replies

• rikorb
    rikorb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    With both my pregnancies I started off nearly 200lbs and with my first had lost maybe about 10 pounds but with my second had lost about 30lbs. I remember looking in the mirror the first time after giving birth and going wow I look good haha, I was still overweight but I hadn't seen myself that skinny for about 4 years. (Although with my second one a part of it could have been due to stress as my husband and I went through a messy break up when I was 20weeks pregnant).

Mind you I have since put it all back on coz I love my food. I have an addiction to food and chocolate but for some reason when I'm pregnant I go off chocolate and can't eat that much food, probably due to morning sickness.

Don't know if this has helped you but this was my experience :)
    Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy :)
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put back on 14 of the 16 kg that I lost when I was pregnant. I'm back to my prepregnancy weight now. (Bub is nearly 6 months old.) next time I will try to put on less so I have less to lose.
    (I still have 10kg to lose now)
  • estliza
    estliza Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to say I had the opposite when I was pregnant I lost weight and I had problems and that while I was pregnant too once I had my little girl I lost quite a bit 16kg in fact but I put most of it back on. But cause of the problems I had last time I am trying to loose weight so I don't have the problems again. If you are worried talk to your mid wife or obstriction or who ever your under everyone is different and eating 2-3 hours to keep the nausea at bay I did that too. Congrats. Feel free to add me
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids, and I know everyone is different, but I'll share my experience. I was at a normal (my ideal) weight, each time I got pregnant. I always had very intense cravings, and I always gained 10-15 pounds in my first trimester. I always also gained 10-15 pounds in my second trimester. For me, in the 3rd trimester, it always slowed down a lot, and I only gained about 5 pounds. In the end, my pregnancy totals were always under 30 pounds gained. I think people just gain the weight at different times. Just because you've gained 10 pounds now, inyour first tri, doesn't mean your weight gain is going to be tremendous. That being said, you can't just eat everything that's not nailed down, when your pregnant. Enjoy food, enjoy being pregnant, but remember that being healthy and having a healthy baby is the goal. I just tried to focus on eating 80% healthy, and enjoying some treats, as well. It worked for me. Now, after my 3rd, the weight isn't coming off as easily, so I'm struggling with the last 15 pounds. That part definitely stinks! Just try to enjoy the miracle of pregnancy! It's such a wonderful time!
  • agressre
    agressre Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have one child, born a little over a year ago. I gained 10 pounds in two months. I remember *****ing to my Doctor about it and she asked me what I was doing. I said I was watching what I ate but had not been good about exercising. She looked at me and told me to get off my *kitten* and go to the gym.

I love my Doctor. She was right, I was gaining weight because of a choice I was making. I was tired, went I am pregnant so I need to rest, and didn't go to the gym. I gained fast. In your case, you have a back problem and that is going to make exercising more difficult. Do what you can. If that means walking on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes and that is all then do that. Do what your body allows you to do. You are protecting yourself and your baby.

I read up on how to eat when I was pregnant. I realized I only needed and extra 200 calories a day and I focused on eating healthy for me and the baby. I knew that meant choosing to eat foods that were healthy and good for me and the baby. It helped me make better decisions.

Part of what I learned is that cravings are real, we just eat the wrong stuff. Chocolate cravings are not a craving for chocolate, they are a craving for sugar. We interpret them as craving chocolate because that is what we associate with sweet. 100 years ago, 500 years ago, 1,000 years ago there were no Snikers bars. When women craved sugar, their body was telling them they needed fruit so they tried to find fruit (berries, apples, whatever was available). What to Expect When Expeceting actually has a really good section on nutrition and cravings. I got lucky, I craved guacamole and tacos.

If you are nauseous try snacking on whole wheat crackers. Something that is good for you, will help with the nausea, and is not all that caloric.

I added in an extra serving of calcium a day to make sure that DB got what he needed for development and I did not lose a ton of calcium from my own bones because he needed more. I looked for healthy snacks that took care of my cravings. Salt cravings meant nuts. A second salt craving meant a 100 calorie pack of Goldfish crackers. Both were better for me then potato chips and french fries. I worked out for the first 5 months and then moved to cardio only. I had to decrease that at month 7 because of back issues, minor but annoying and no reason to aggrevate the back.

I ended up gaining 30 pounds, not too bad, and gave birth to a healthy 10 pound 2 ounce baby. No gestational diabieties, just a big baby.

More importantly, I worked on my healthy eating while pregnant so that after giving birth I was able to lose 50 pounds and get myself to a healthy weight for the first time in ages.

Use this time to care for yourself and your baby. Don't worry about the weight gain, aim for healthy foods and a healthy you. And splurge on occassion. You don't need cake or ice cream every day but enjoy it when you want it.

Enjoy this time. I know that there are times that are miserable and you will wonder why the heck you are going through this. But there are many great times as well. Talk to your baby (silly, I know) when you are feeling bleechy. It helped me remember that there was a good reason for feeling crummy.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was at my ideal weight when I got pregnant, so I wanted to be careful and try not to gain too much. I gained 33lb in total But I was 20lb up by 20 weeks and then it just leveled out. So I wouldn't worry.