Egg whites? Why not the whole egg?

Options

Replies

• LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    "This is what I thought, as well. Besides, all the rest of the goodness is in the yolk.. A 3 egg omelette is very filling and only 240 calories. This focus on more protein at the expense of actual nutrients is just another "carbs are evil" hysteria."

No, this would come under the "calories are evil" hysteria. There are no carbs in eggs or egg yolks.

It's an easy way to cut calories, that's all.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Tossing the yolk is like tossing protein powder away in the garbage. Of course, the yolk protein is much cheaper and tastes better.

Also, I think that birds like the yolk so if you hate it, you can give it to them.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Because you can have more for less calories, and most of the protein is found in the white. The yolk is not "bad" for you, but it is easier to cut calories while still being able to eat eggs when tossing the yolk.
    I keep hearing this but not very accurate information. Almost half of the protein is in the yolk and a yolk has about 50 calories, so not so much of a saving especially considering the nutrients lost when leaving out the yolk. Many people do use a combo of whole and whites, which I guess might be better but personally I never could understand tossing the yolk.

ok so more protein per calorie

And considerably less choline, chromium, sulphur, vitamin k, etc etc.

There is more to food than bloody protein!

Not to mention Omega 3 and Omega 6! And Zinc, potassium, magnisium (sp?), etc... While yes the whites are less in calories, the yoke holds 90% of the nutrients in the egg. Not to mention healthy fats which have been proven to help hold off hunger.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Don't waste yolks, eat the whole egg. I usually have 3 whole eggs, plus a full cup of egg beaters in the morning to bump the protein up.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Never figured out the whole egg white thing, unless you happen to be using it for meringues or such. ~chuckles~

Much prefer the whole egg.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are gross.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Because you can have more for less calories, and most of the protein is found in the white. The yolk is not "bad" for you, but it is easier to cut calories while still being able to eat eggs when tossing the yolk.
    I keep hearing this but not very accurate information. Almost half of the protein is in the yolk and a yolk has about 50 calories, so not so much of a saving especially considering the nutrients lost when leaving out the yolk. Many people do use a combo of whole and whites, which I guess might be better but personally I never could understand tossing the yolk.

ok so more protein per calorie

In a very large 4 egg omlette its about 220 caloried difference with 10g of protein lost.
    Enough to eat half a donut and get some trans fats, instead. I'll stick to eggs.

Yolk prevents thickening in certain recipes but I would guess that it's mostly a throw-over from "no cholesterol" thinking.
    Egg substitutes taste like the debil.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I always separate eggs. Whites for meringues, yolks for carbonara sauce, om nom nom :smile:

MMmmmm...when's dinner?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    It's much easier for me to pour out a certain number of grams of egg white/egg beaters from a carton than it is to crack and weigh individual eggs. If I suddenly could not do it that way for some reason, my cats would be the happy beneficiaries of more egg yolks in their raw homemade diet, and my husband would have fried eggs with four+ yolks each. He's bulking, so that's totally cool too. :laugh:

Also, I like to eat low-fat so that I can get a high volume for my calories. More fat does not equal more satiety for me. I know this is true for many other people, but not me. Call me a special snowflake if you like. I do IIFYM, so when I get to the end of the day, and I need more fat, I add delicious, delicious peanut butter, real mayonnaise (mixed with fat-free if I want to bump up the volume for fewer calories), and avocado. I ate 6 ounces of avocado last night at dinner, to meet my fat requirements, oh, and knock out a couple of servings of fruit at the same time. Egg yolks don't do that for me.

I usually end up eating 3-5 egg yolks a week anyway from getting breakfast tacos Friday, Saturday, Sunday or some combination thereof. And I seriously doubt I'm malnourished given the other nutritional choices I make with all my other foods.

If you'd rather eat whole eggs all the time and cut back somewhere else, knock yourself out.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It’s because I HATE the taste of yolks. Simple as that otherwise I’d eat the whole thing. My dogs however love yolks…..
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just housed 3 whole eggs with Sriracha sauce and they were delicious, filling and made me feel happy. So I say, eat those suckers.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The last few batches of ice cream I've made have actually been frozen custards so I now have a ton of egg white to freeze until I want to make something that calls for them like from scratch angel food or Meringue cookies.

I'll probably eventually thaw them out and dump them but I have good intentions...
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    All depends on my macros. Don't have too many fat grams to spare now so only 1 yolk and 4 whites today. Saving the fat for things like ribeye steak.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I never understand this either. The yolks are much more nutritious than the whites other than not having as much protein by weight. They also have a rich taste while the whites are pretty plain. Sacrificing all the goodness of the yolks only just to save a couple hundred calories that one could easily eliminate in sugar, alcohol, or carbs somewhere else in the diet for the day is penny-wise and pounds-foolish.

I buy local farm fresh eggs when I can get them and the yolks in those are huge. You'd need a dozen to make a decent size all white omelette. That would be a serious waste of really good food. And, those processed liquified eggs poured from cartons taste as bad as powdered eggs to me. If I couldn't find fresh eggs, I'd just eat something else until I could.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I only eat the egg whites because the calorie difference is insane. Egg yolks have a ridiculous amount of calories, in my opinion. Even when I fry chicken, which my family requests because we are from the South, I only use egg whites and not the entire egg.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste or the smell of the yolks. Don't even like the white a LOT, but it's protein and I can get them down. Yolks make me wanna puke. Even just smelling them. (When my kids cook their own scrambled eggs with yolks, I can,t even be in the same room. )
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do get the whole cholesterol argument. But, this is so ingrained to not throw out something that can be used.... Guess I'm a little kerfuffled at the concept. :ohwell:
    I'm with you. I can't bring myself to throw out food, not even egg yolks. I eat one egg a day and according to all the mainstream medical websites I've reviewed, one is fine. Two is too much cholesterol.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I will use 2 whole eggs and an egg white for my scrambled eggs but it is because I have chronic pancreatitis and I have to watch the amount of fat I take in.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I am a card carrying member of the whole egg party! Vote whole eggs!!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    After my gallbladder removal i can't digest the fat of the egg yolk and the dense protein of the egg white at once... it makes me puke.... egg yolks can be hard to digest for people with really sensitive stomachs too because of the iron