Teach about buying a bike

Options
So I want to start biking. I love Spin (I know it isn't the exact same) but I can't make it work in to my schedule right now. I would like to look at buying a bike so I can do a few things: go ride some paved/groomed trails, ride around my neighborhood, and maybe eventually start biking to work (11 miles away).

I am hoping to keep the cost around $250 or lower. Is that going to work? I don't mind buying used, craigslist is alive and thriving in my town. There are a couple of nice and reputable bike places in my area also, but I am worried about cost.

So if anyone wants to provide some tips/pointer/advice, I would love to hear it!

Replies

• Blackdinomite
    Blackdinomite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Best thing to go for in that price range would be a mountain bike. You could probably get a decent used bike for that price. Not sure what you'll find on craigslist though. I got mtb and switched out the knobby wheels for slicks for my commute
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I need to adjust my price range. If I went up to $500, would that be better? It is the upper part of my budget but I do want something I will use/like
  • gknopp87
    gknopp87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stop in and discuss your needs with a local bike shop. A good bike shop will be able to assess your needs and discuss options. After the sale, they should be available for service when you need it and to answer questions when you have them. Avoid the big chain stores. Be aware that mountain bikes are geared toward trail use. They are heavier and slower than bikes designed for commuting. You'll find a range of hybrid options between pure mountain bikes and pure road bikes. Consider buying what best matches your expected usage.