Hey all MFP men!!!!

Options
My husband is joining MFP today and we do not know how many calories he should have. He is 6 ft and a big guy. He has about 100lbs to lose. Suggestions? I know that i need to stick to 1200 as a woman. But you guys seem to get alot more?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I think that when he sets his goals, MFP will tell him how many calories to eat just like it did for you.
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep, it'll tell him.

Personally I'm at 1500, and I make sure I don't go under 1200. I'm losing 2-3lbs a week, and eat a fair proportion of my exercise calories.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    The absolute min for guys is 1500, like woman that is the min to sustain life, if he goes that low he needs to eat his exercise calories back, if he eats a little more, then he can be a little more flexiable about what he eats back and what he doesnt.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm 5'11" 230...started at 240.[Sept 2010] MFP..... Goal is to lose 50 more lbs. Currently using around 1800 calories.[checked sedantary] Depends how active you are. WORKING OUT 5 TIMES AWEEK, hour a workout. Change each workout so don't do same exercise in one week.Example..cardio,weights,basketball,walking & lawn work.[to name a few]. Keeps body wondering!
    Since finding MFP am able to track my calories more accurately and have found that was eating more calories 3000 a day[adds up quickly]. Doing about the same workouts since 2000 but wasn't losing! Now I am.... Exercising makes you more hungrey.so there is a balance in eating your exercise calories,I eat about 50-75% of exercise calories.
    You will find this site exceptional as long as you use accurate info [remember accurate info in and positive results come out!
    Also find very helpful and knowledgable members for ideas,info,& incentive....Good Luck!:drinker: Drink your water!!!!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What they said :smile: I will echo the idea of being honest with you what you record in the diary and being careful to measure your food and servings. Working out has been a big part of it for me. It allows you to eat more and still lose weight. Good luck and feel free to have your hubby add me as a friend, I've got almost 50 more pounds to go.
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    you shouldnt be eatin 1200. more like 1600 and for him like 2000
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Tell him to use what MFP suggests, its been working for me.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and Started my mfp journey at 226 pounds and 2000 Calories with goal to lose 1 pound a week.

Now I am at 198 with 1900 odd calories to spare
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    My husband is joining MFP today and we do not know how many calories he should have. He is 6 ft and a big guy. He has about 100lbs to lose. Suggestions? I know that i need to stick to 1200 as a woman. But you guys seem to get alot more?

Im 6' 2 " and was weighing 330 pounds, MFP said to consume 2200 calories, the as the weight went down the calorie consumption went with it am down to 1990 now
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    Tell your husband congrats for making the change and starting the journey!!!!
    I am between 2300-2000 calories a day as I exercise. I would echo the try and switch up the exercise, we live at the base of mtns and so we hike all the time. Our bodies (my wife and I) get use to it so we have to throw different things in to change it up. Follow the recommended and keep track everyday, always the bad days. Yeah for you and your hubby!!
  • jcmc99
    jcmc99 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for all of the outstanding support!