Can't get it up!

Apologies for the suggestive title but I had to get y'all in here somehow :smile: . So here goes...lately, I find it incredibly difficult to get my heart rate up during HIIT. It used to be I would sprint on the treadmill or crank up the Stairmaster/elliptical to a high level (14-16) and my HR would hit 175-180, easy. But now when I expend what feels like the same amount of effort (as in, I'm ready to die) my HR will barely crack 160 and it takes a minute to even get to that. According to my Polar, for HIIT work my HR needs to be in the 165-175 range so needless to say, this new development is cramping my style. The only exception is outdoor sprinting but even during that, it now takes 40 seconds or so for my HR to hit the anaerobic range whereas before, it would take 15 seconds. Am I just getting old (32 going on 33)? Am I overtrained? Or has my aerobic capacity improved and now I have to work even harder to get my heart rate up?

To clarify, during the work periods of HIIT it still feels just as hard as it ever did (as in, I feel like I can't sustain it for longer than 30 seconds) but my HR doesn't reflect that as it is taking longer to get to the anaerobic range and most of the time, I can't even hit it (minds out of the gutter). It's super frustrating because I can't get a decent HIIT workout even though it feels like I'm working extremely hard.

Background: I'm female, 5'8", 172 lbs. I lift heavy 3 times a week and do cardio 6 times, which is usually running (3x, 5-10 miles), stairmaster/elliptical/summit trainer (1-2x) and HIIT (1-2x). I've been lifting and doing cardio for years so exercise is not new to me. I'm also trying to drop 20 lbs so I'm eating at a deficit but nothing too outrageous (2300 cals/day). Macros are 40/30/30 and I hit them pretty much daily.

EDITED TO ADD: My resting heart rate is 55 BPM and my max is ~190bpm.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    well your no fun,
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    sounds like you are in fantastic shape heart wise.

Perhaps you could look into using a weighted vest or something similar to add a few pounds?
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Background: I'm female

There's your problem right there.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    I'm not familiar with hear rate monitors... but maybe you need to reset it? Do you log your weight on it? I mean, if you've lost weight since the last time you set up your information, it could be off on the range it wants your heart rate to be, right?

*Total guess* lol
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member

Explain, please.
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Maybe you could try a new cardio workout. Sometimes just changing up the routine helps. Maybe try swimming or some HIIT workout you haven't done before.
  • moonshine_betty
    I'm not familiar with hear rate monitors... but maybe you need to reset it? Do you log your weight on it? I mean, if you've lost weight since the last time you set up your information, it could be off on the range it wants your heart rate to be, right?

*Total guess* lol

I adjust my info on the HR monitor every time there's a change to my weight. I also periodically run the "fitness test" option on the monitor, which assesses my HR during a gradual increase in activity and adjusts my HR zones based on the new information.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Is your heart rate monitor ok? I have a Polar and mine went on the fritz and acted funny for a couple of weeks before.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    This just means your HIIT has worked and you are in better shape. And your body has gotten used to the forms of HIIT cardio that you do. Time to shock your body with something new. There's a thread about favorite forms of HIIT going around right now, check it out.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member

Explain, please.

No "it" to get up :laugh:
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Your body is adapting to your workouts as you get into shape. To get to the next level you gotta push it. Here's a few suggestions that have worked for me:

- Bicycle, meet mountain range (I use the Sierra Nevada)
    - Dragging sled /w a good amount of weight on it.
    - AMRAP for 6 minutes (as many reps as possible) of something like Power cleans /w an appropriately weighted barbell
    - Almost any kind of sparring if done against a skilled opponent
    - Jump squats around a track. If you can't get your heart rate up in 400 meters doing that you should head directly to an Olympic training center.
  • moonshine_betty

Explain, please.

No "it" to get up :laugh:

Oooh, :laugh:. Talk about slow! Went right over my head, obviously...guess my brain is not at its sharpest in the morning! Thanks for translating. :flowerforyou:
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    I like the weighted vest idea or even try something as simple as a light neoprene jacket to trap your body heat and see if that will give your ticker a jumpstart.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    I'm thinkin' if you're bustin' out maximal effort, that's what you need to do for HIIT, and not worry about the HRM. My HRM is really more for entertainment purposes, like a Ouija board or magic 8 ball. I regularly get up to 175-180 no matter how slowly I jog, and I've been a regular exerciser for a decade and a half. *shrug* I have had a stress test at a cardiologist and it's fine. My heart just does what it does.

Maximal effort is the important part.
  • moonshine_betty
    I'm thinkin' if you're bustin' out maximal effort, that's what you need to do for HIIT, and not worry about the HRM. My HRM is really more for entertainment purposes, like a Ouija board or magic 8 ball. I regularly get up to 175-180 no matter how slowly I jog, and I've been a regular exerciser for a decade and a half. *shrug* I have had a stress test at a cardiologist and it's fine. My heart just does what it does.

Maximal effort is the important part.

I thought that as well but it's a little disheartening because I used to be able to get my HR high enough. I've used a HR monitor for nearly 10 years now and I guess at this point I need/want the number on the monitor to validate my efforts, dammit! :smile: But yeah, maybe it's time to shift my focus.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If a person is aerobically well conditioned it will take around two minutes of near maximum effort to drive the heartrate up to maximum. What you are experiencing is normal.
  • moonshine_betty
    If a person is aerobically well conditioned it will take around two minutes of near maximum effort to drive the heartrate up to maximum. What you are experiencing is normal.

That's interesting...so what would you suggest I do? I don't think I could put in two minutes of near max effort during HIIT or regular intervals to get my heart rate up. When I try to do so it feels like my body gets tired way before my heart even starts to feel the effort.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    It's all about blood flow.
  • You could be in a state of overtraining, or you could also just be getting in better aerobic shape.

If you aren't showing any other signs of overtraining, then I would lean towards the latter.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    exactly what has happebed to me. I have been excersising for 2 yrs almost everyday. My legs and body cannot go enou:angry: gh to get my hr up the way it used to. I think we are more fit now. I still feel it is difficult, my hr just does not go up for a long time of hard activity.