Critique my diet?

Options
I’m still having difficulty breaking through my “plateau” that I’ve been on for the past few months. It started while I was doing weightwatchers and was taking in an average of about 800 calories a day, and exercising on top of that (eek!). I had lost about 10lbs that way, then the weight just would not budge anymore, maybe because I had messed up my metabolism. Well it’s been several months and I still haven’t seen the numbers drop. My diary is open- any feedback or suggestions would be wonderful!

- 5’4, 150lbs; goal is 135
- I changed my calorie intake from as little as 1200 to as much as 1600. I’m currently at 1260.
- I usually exercise 3-4 times per week, averaging around 650 calories burned per workout (according to HRM) Workouts are usually interval training and cardio (TRX, kettlebell classes, running, calisthenics)
- I try to eat back most of my exercise calories
- I consistently weigh/measure my foods
- I drink plenty of water, I just don’t track it
- I recently purchased a fitbit which helps me see a more accurate picture of my overall activity level and encourages me to move more
- I have noticed that my weight will sometimes increase 1-2lbs following a high sodium day, but will be back to normal the next day
- I’m trying to cut back on processed foods/ frozen meals

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Try to eat the 1600 calories you estimated for yourself on a more consistent basis (If that is a TDEE - 20% # then you do not eat exercise calories), maybe incorporate resistance training in your exercise days (you won't bulk up or anything).. Take a week off and eat at your estimated TDEE then cut back down again. Up your protein level at the expense of carbs.
  • donjessop
    Options
    From only a quick review (doing this during my "coffee" break at work) I noticed a couple of things and this is based on a meeting I had with a dietition last week due to my diabetes.

1) It is very important that you eat within 30 minutes of getting up. While I think this was partially due to my diabetes, she also recommended it due to the fact that it gets your body "active" as soon as possible so that it doesn't think that it is starving. Eating a little bit of protein 5 - 6 times a day is working for me.
    2) It is also very important that you ensure that you get an adequate amount of protein with that first meal. She targeted between 15 - 20 g of protein for me (I'm over twice your weight) but it was still important to get the protein. Sorry, coffee doesn't cut it unless you are lacing it with protein powder. The recommended default protein intake on MFP seems to be low. It should be closer to 22%, not 15%, so try to make sure that you hit that number, not 15%.
    3) Like you I notice an issue when I ingest too much sodium. I've had to significantly alter my diet to reduce the sodium to the recommended levels in MyFitnessPal. A single high sodium meal hits me like a freight train.
    4) Look at measurements other than just weight. For me, my waist size has shrunk almost two inches in a month. My calf has shrunk over an inch. If you replace fat with the same weight of muscle the scale will not change, but the measurements will.

I'm sure you will make your goal as I think you are doing all the right things. A little tweaking and I think you'll get there.

Good luck.
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I wonder about the accuracy of your "calories burned" numbers. Example: Running/walking with dog, 58 minutes, 679 calories burned. Really? I didn't even know what TRX training was until I Googled it, but 600 calories an hour?

As to food, you seem to have a sweet tooth, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. That's OK as long as you meet your goals but I really wonder about the calories burned portion of your diary.
  • agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I figure my calories burned during my workouts from a HRM (Polar FT4). The TRX class isn’t just strength, it has intervals of intense cardio. The HRM says my average heartrate during that time is 166 (max 192). For running the HRM says average 176, max 200. Do you think it is overestimating the calories I burn?

I will try eating within 30 min of getting up, and am trying to up my protein and reduce carbs (but yes, I do love my sweets!).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I’m still having difficulty breaking through my “plateau” that I’ve been on for the past few months. It started while I was doing weightwatchers and was taking in an average of about 800 calories a day, and exercising on top of that (eek!). I had lost about 10lbs that way, then the weight just would not budge anymore, maybe because I had messed up my metabolism. Well it’s been several months and I still haven’t seen the numbers drop. My diary is open- any feedback or suggestions would be wonderful!

- 5’4, 150lbs; goal is 135
    - I changed my calorie intake from as little as 1200 to as much as 1600. I’m currently at 1260.
    - I usually exercise 3-4 times per week, averaging around 650 calories burned per workout (according to HRM) Workouts are usually interval training and cardio (TRX, kettlebell classes, running, calisthenics)
    - I try to eat back most of my exercise calories
    - I consistently weigh/measure my foods
    - I drink plenty of water, I just don’t track it
    - I recently purchased a fitbit which helps me see a more accurate picture of my overall activity level and encourages me to move more
    - I have noticed that my weight will sometimes increase 1-2lbs following a high sodium day, but will be back to normal the next day
    - I’m trying to cut back on processed foods/ frozen meals

Try and reduce your sodium to 1500mg per day along with other changes in your diet.
  • agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1500 would be tough for me! I may try to reduce it to 2000 fro now, and as I get more used to it keep reducing it more.