Making Time

Options
Hi,

I've been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half now, I was happy with my weight that I was 3 years ago. I didn't realise how much I had piled on until looking at older photographs.

I want to gain back my confidence and my body, but I can't seem to find the time!

I can be in control of what I eat, as long as I keep my snacking at the desk to fruit/veg and also I stick to a healthy diet and cut out tea and coffee.

But the problem for me is exercise!

Can anybody recommend ways I can exercise at home, or exercises that really are the best for losing weight? I work full time and am studying for a degree as well, I also look after my younger brother most of the time as my mum is usually away, so finding time is difficult!

I would say I could go to the gym on average once a week. And I roughly have about 40mins to myself every evening where I could do some form of exercise.

Can anybody recommend some speedy/handy tips for weight loss in a tight schedule?!

I've also thought of introducing leisurely walks over my weekends - rather than lazy days

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BethR57
    BethR57 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Have you tried any exercise DVDs? I use Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and it's really good - it only takes 20 minutes per day but I find it really gets you working hard and seems to be working to tone me up! I got the DVD from Amazon but I think I've read on here that the workouts are available on YouTube (though that may just be in the US and I guess from your spelling of mum that you're in the UK like me!)

Beth
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Take a look for High Intensity Interval Training ( HIIT) online. They are fast hard workouts in short periods of time, you can also google TABATA. All you can do at home. Pintrest has tons of ideas as well!
  • emilyjay94
    Options
    Hey,

Have you tried any exercise DVDs? I use Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and it's really good - it only takes 20 minutes per day but I find it really gets you working hard and seems to be working to tone me up! I got the DVD from Amazon but I think I've read on here that the workouts are available on YouTube (though that may just be in the US and I guess from your spelling of mum that you're in the UK like me!)

Beth

Having just had a browse around on here, I saw a couple of people mention the 30 day shred and it sounds great. It sounds hard work and intense but for short bursts I think it should be manageable!
    So yeah, thanks for your comment - it's been the confirmation I needed on whether to go for it or not.
    And yup, I'm in England well spotted, so I'll purchase the DVD from Amazon, it's not too expensive and it's got to be worth a try!

Have you had good results using it?
  • emilyjay94
    Options
    adenium11 that's great, thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out as I've never heard of them before. I will give it all a go as I guess plenty of variety keeps it more interesting

Thanks
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Everyone can find at least 30 mins a day to do something. How bad you really want to get fit? I use to say I was too busy to exercise, that's how I got to be 255lbs. I finally made myself set aside 30 mins a day to walk. Now I am working out an hour a day running, lifting weights, biking, etc. YOU have to decide how bad you want it.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise is good, it has many benefits (including giving you room to eat more food and stay at a deficit), but if your main concern is weight loss, I would recommend taking a more strict approach with your food rather than stressing over exercise, which seems to be your bigger focus right now. Log everything and pay attention to calories and macros because it's super easy to overeat even on healthy foods.

As far as working out goes, 30Day Shred is a good DVD or you could google "you are your own gym" to get some great home workout ideas.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = fitness

If you want to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. Exercising though will allow you to eat more, since the way MFP is designed, you eat back your exercise calories. You eat them back to fuel your body for the extra work you're putting in.

That being said, 30 Day Shred is a GREAT way to start. It's really designed well for beginners to work their way up. I highly recommend it. You could also just do something simple like going for a walk. Doesn't seem like it would do much, but I started out by walking. I worked my way up to 3.5 miles and burn 350-400 calories just doing that.

Just keep trying new things until you find things you really enjoy doing!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Take a look for High Intensity Interval Training ( HIIT) online. They are fast hard workouts in short periods of time, you can also google TABATA. All you can do at home. Pintrest has tons of ideas as well!

^ This!! Also, add some weight training into the mix....makes a world of difference.
  • jac21arl
    jac21arl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :smile: youtube has great 30 to 40 min workouts & zumba classes.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Drive to the gym or the park I run (workout) @ whether I feel like I have time/energy or not. I reserve the right to walk in & leave. But I go anyway.

Try it for 14 days & let me know what happens.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise is good, it has many benefits (including giving you room to eat more food and stay at a deficit), but if your main concern is weight loss, I would recommend taking a more strict approach with your food rather than stressing over exercise, which seems to be your bigger focus right now. Log everything and pay attention to calories and macros because it's super easy to overeat even on healthy foods.

As far as working out goes, 30Day Shred is a good DVD or you could google "you are your own gym" to get some great home workout ideas.

Agreed.
    Of course, exercise is a great thing to add to your normal routine. I exercise 4-5 times a week, and I frequently do a Jillian Michaels workout at home as they can be pretty intense and only take 30-45 minutes. I'm really happy with the overall strength and fitness of my body so far due to my workouts, but I wouldn't have lost my weight without a moderate calorie deficit.
    Knowledge is power. I think it's important to know what your body's caloric requirements are for weight loss/maintenance, and then you can build a plan from there. :smile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    First. health should be a top priority in life, but it is one thing we take for granted. Health enables you to have quality time with your family and friends, do better at work, to go out and have the energy and confidence to face life, and to do it for longer (God willing). So first thing to do is to find time that is otherwise being used outside of priorities - watching TV, lunch breaks, going out, etc.

That all said, you can also fit so many healthy lifestyle choices into a day, with very little time, it is a wonder more people don't take advantage. I have a couple 15 minute breaks at work and I choose to get a quick mile in for each. I do active stretch exercises several times for a couple minutes during the day. I use time with my kids, or working around my kids to walk or such. I am lucky enough to be able to eat while working so I take my lunch time to get my workout in. In all though, you really only need about 20 minutes a day of vigorous exercise to see health benefits. Just find a 20 minute High Intensity workout program and stick with it. There are 1440 minutes in each day. 20 minutes is in there somewhere for you.

Now all that said, journaling food and eating at a deficit is THE number one activity to lose weight. That is pretty self-explanatory, but takes making the choice to eat well and within your daily calories. You have to make that choice with eat meal or snack you have in front of you. And you have to do it all day, every day. Consistency is the key there.

Good luck.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't make time for working out.........I think I make time for the other things in my life....working out is like eating and breathing, I'm going to be doing it everyday.
  • emilyjay94
    Options
    Thanks everybody, you've all been really very helpful. You're right about the time thing, I have quite a relaxed job so I could even squeeze in a brief bit of exercise at work when the boss is out!

I've learnt a lot of new things on here that I had never heard of before and am really excited to give it all a go until I find what is best for me.

I saw a lot of things about diet and calories etc. I have always had a really good diet thanks to my mum, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and am not really interested in fast food. I don't drink fizzy drinks, just water - then if I want a treat then a glass of squash or a glass of wine! (But that is rare). I also don't really eat bread and red meats, that's just because of personal taste, not any kind of diet thing.

I'm not lazy in terms of exercise, I don't sit around all day, I'm very active but just not to the extent where I'm getting my heart rate going enough so I'm hoping to change that!!

Sorry for the essay but I just thought I should let you know of my lifestyle!

Some brilliant and really helpful suggestions, so thanks again :-)