Workouts for stay at home moms?

Options
I stay at home with my daughter during the day and go to school for pharmacy at night so I currently do not have a job and cannot afford a gym membership but I still want to work out. Is there any workouts other stay at home moms use that work? Or certain videos you have watched?

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would recommend Jillian michaels DVD's I like them all! and I also like Tracy Anderson Mat DVD and post pregnancy one. My little boy is 1 year old and I work 3 days per week and try to squeeze the above in 4/5 times per week.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I work from home, I'm reteaching myself hula hooping and once I get up to 10 min without dropping I will move to tricks. They I might check out the Hoopnautica dvds. And your daughter might be entertained by the whole thing haha.

You can do anything when you are at home really, doesn't have to be just a standard workout dvd unless that is what you want.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try Tabata training! great hard workouts and usually done in 20/25 minutes. I downloaded a tabata timer on my phone and then Googled different workouts to do. Also YouTube is great for videos so you don't have to go out and buy them. I do love Biggest Loser Yoga video, one of the best out there, imo. I also downloaded Stronglifts 5x5 on my phone but I use dumbbells. and try the 30 day Squat Challenge, I really liked that... in the cooler months I will do interval running outside in front of my house, I use the C25K app but only do weeks 1 and 2; I have NO DESIRE to run 3 miles straight! :bigsmile: I work full time and the last thing I want to do is go to the gym after work, besides my kids are in sports so I am usually going to watch them after work, so everything I do is at home. Hope you can find something that works for you, good luck! :smile:
  • lanniemcvern
    lanniemcvern Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for two months. I love it and hate it all at the same time. It is sooooo hard! I've never sweat so much in such a short amount of time. But the workout time is so doable for me (getting 4 kids ready in the morning). I love how much stronger I am, too! It feels great.

http://www.hiitmamas.blogspot.com/
  • TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of a two year old. I love working out on my elliptical and I recently started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has some great workouts. You can get a mix of strength & cardio.
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Absolutely any DVD by Jillian Michaels! Most of them are around $10 at Target or Walmart or even cheaper online at Amazon.
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the elliptical but I don't have one at home, I miss the gym so much!
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender on Youtube. Great, great videos!!!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop. I do it on my breaks at work and in my living room at home during the winter. It is fun and you can get your kids involved with it too.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    The workout trainer app has a great variety of workouts to choose from. I use it, it's great!
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out the beginner body weight workout from nerdfitness.com: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Or another great option get you a couple of Kettlebells (I got a 15lb and a 20lb one) and youtube a couple of workouts. Try chi chi fitness beginner KB workout and intermediate workouts. Do 2 or 3 of the 10 minute work outs 3 times a week. Good luck!
  • nscarebear
    Options
    I use" thebeachbodymom" on you tube. She has a lot of videos. It's a nice mix, so you don't get bored.
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of a two year old. I love working out on my elliptical and I recently started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

I just ordered this on Amazon! I'm excited to start it, what do you think of it so far?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com

totalfitnessdvds.com

These are websites that show video clips and give reviews of fitness DVDs. The workouts oare done by professional who grade them for fitness level, impact level, tell you what (if any) equipment is required. Just tons of info .... I don't buy a DVD until I check it out.

Kelly Coffey Meyer DVDs are great - 30 Minutes to Fitness is a series ....everything from weights, to kickboxing, to circuit training. Each DVD has 2 - 30 minute workouts plus lots of premixes to keep the DVD fresh.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    DVD's are great because you can put them in any time. Way back when I used to go to Exercise TV on TWC. I miss it so much. You cound find all kinds of workouts on Demand. I did find some great trainers whose DVD's I had to buy since Exercise TV is gone. Jillian Michaels is great, Cindy Whitmarsh, Stephanie Vitorino, Amy Dixon, Chris Freytag, and Jeanette Jenkins are a some excellent choices to look for in DVDs. I've gotten results from all of them.