Just when I thought I was making progress...

Options
I know I've complained about this before, but I was at 145.4 lbs when I weighed myself over the weekend, now I'm 147.4 lbs. I thought I was making progress, but now I'm on the same plateau I was on before, I lose a couple pounds and I gain them back! What am I doing wrong? Is it water weight? I'm just sick and tired of having this happen to me and I just can't kick this plateau! What do I do?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I know I've complained about this before, but I was at 145.4 lbs when I weighed myself over the weekend, now I'm 147.4 lbs. I thought I was making progress, but now I'm on the same plateau I was on before, I lose a couple pounds and I gain them back! What am I doing wrong? Is it water weight? I'm just sick and tired of having this happen to me and I just can't kick this plateau! What do I do?

re-read all of your other threads.....
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and you're not eating much of anything. It's all processed and prepackaged. Not a single fruit or vegetable. Hardly any protein. You should really work on WHAT you're eating. You're not getting much nutrition from the foods you are eating.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm having exactly the same problem, so would be interested to read any useful hints or tips or experiences from others who've experienced similar.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary, and you're not eating much of anything. It's all processed and prepackaged. Not a single fruit or vegetable. Hardly any protein. You should really work on WHAT you're eating. You're not getting much nutrition from the foods you are eating.

THIS!!! ^^^^^ You need to eat more leaner meats, fish, veggies and fruits and DRINK MORE WATER!!!! You can still have a treat or two. Your holding onto a lot of water because of the sodium you been eating.

You need to figure your BMR and TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    also are you logging everything? There is alot of dry cereal - milk? bagels - no cream cheese? toast - no butter of jelly? don't know if you like dry foods but it just made me wonder; condiments do add up fast, and if you drink calories make sure you put them in too, they count as well
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    1. Water...tons of it

2. Try eating something that doesn't have a nutrition label printed on it every once in a while. There's a whole colorful section in the grocery store called the produce section. I'm not saying 100% of your diet has to be whole foods, but come on...if you want to be healthy, eat better.

3. Try not to be so dependent on the scale. You may be losing inches...
  • Slpbound13
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how this is! Whenever I see a jump on the scale like this, it is usually due to bloat/excess fluid. (or eating something our bodies are not supposed to!) I myself try to follow the blood type diet. I am an O—I'm not supposed to eat ANY bread, milk, certain veggies—but red meats are the best for O's. If I stay on a pretty straight path of the diet, I loose like CRAZY (and healthily), but the second I veer off and eat ice cream or a few pieces of bread I literally can go up 3-5 pounds overnight and it is SERIOUSLY depressing. Below I will post a link to the list of foods from the Blood Type Diet book. Just click on what you like to eat, and see if it's good/bad for you!
    ***things that are marked as "beneficial" are wonderful for you and actually will help you to feel better!
    http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/typeindexer.htm
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how this is! Whenever I see a jump on the scale like this, it is usually due to bloat/excess fluid. (or eating something our bodies are not supposed to!) I myself try to follow the blood type diet. I am an O—I'm not supposed to eat ANY bread, milk, certain veggies—but red meats are the best for O's. If I stay on a pretty straight path of the diet, I loose like CRAZY (and healthily), but the second I veer off and eat ice cream or a few pieces of bread I literally can go up 3-5 pounds overnight and it is SERIOUSLY depressing. Below I will post a link to the list of foods from the Blood Type Diet book. Just click on what you like to eat, and see if it's good/bad for you!
    ***things that are marked as "beneficial" are wonderful for you and actually will help you to feel better!
    ***********************edited out site

bWT6f65.gif
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Um, no.
    tumblr_m2c0f6GMRg1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    who doesnt love dry cereal for breakfast :O ;) i agree. your diary needs some sprucing up. add some color. make it pretty. your body will thank you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. Your calorie intake isn't terribly consistent and tends toward the low end, but I would be a bit concerned about nutrition. I don't necessarily believe in "good" or "bad" foods, but I think it's important to incorporate as many whole foods into your diet as possible for your overall health and nutrition. Have you taken a peek at your other macro/micro and vitamin levels in your diary?
    Additionally, your protein intake is very low, especially for a meat eater. As a vegetarian, I typically eat at least twice the amount of protein that you do.

If your logging is accurate, start by drinking more water and eating more nutritious foods, and make sure that your calorie goal is truly appropriate for you.
  • rcadogs
    rcadogs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The main problem is finding time to buy whole foods because my family is pretty busy with work. But I am looking for healthy recipes myself and my family would like.

Are any prepackaged foods considered healthy including Healthy Choice or even Nutrisystem? Any ideas on how to fit in time to make healthy recipes?
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. My weight fluctuates 3-4 pounds all the time. I will see an increase, then a drop below where I was at. Don't weigh yourself so often. In fact, the best way (no pun intended) is to hold off until you feel or see a difference. I usually can tell in how my belt fits if there is a change.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of healthy... Personally those frozen meals don't do a thing for me. It's like eating a salad with only veg and fat free dressing - it might be a better choice but in the long run it doesn't work. I'll be starving again in a couple hours and will have to eat something else so I need to make better choices in the first place.

It doesn't take much time to throw together my bag of goodies in the morning. Make a wrap with some deli meat, a slice of cheese and a handful of lettuce. Toss in a couple pieces of fruit and/or veg. Pack up a portion of oatmeal and yogurt and toss in a protein bar. Done! This is all due to some planning and prep work that I do on the weekend.

Six portions of steel cut oats get cooked in the crockpot. When it's done and cooled, I pour it in to a big square rubbermaid container, let it cool more in the fridge and then cut it into portions then scoop those into 1 cup containers. I also portion out a big tub of greek yogurt into those 1 cup containers with a dab of jelly in each. Then I just make sure I pick up enough fruit or veg snacks at the grocery store to last the week and a box of protein bars and I'm good to go.

As far as meals, you can do the same thing. Get some recipes for soups and casseroles and cook up a couple of them over the weekend. Then you can portion out the leftovers, pop them in the freezer and you've got a healthy and hearty meal ready to go.
  • rcadogs
    rcadogs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. My weight fluctuates 3-4 pounds all the time. I will see an increase, then a drop below where I was at. Don't weigh yourself so often. In fact, the best way (no pun intended) is to hold off until you feel or see a difference. I usually can tell in how my belt fits if there is a change.

I see a little bit of a difference with my body. The fat on my hips is slowly getting smaller judging by how much there is by touch and the fat on my stomach seems to be disappearing little by little, but some days that shows, some days it doesn't. I feel like my body itself is slowly changing, but the weight on the scale doesn't show it.