Are these symptoms normal when exercising?

2»

Replies

• one word: DOCTOR
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    very normal, a good workout!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I got this way when I started ultimate frisbee.. now I eat a protein bar about half way through and drink something around 2 quarts of water throughout the game. Pretty much went away.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Thanks,everybody
    It's true I am tackling some absurd climbs and I expect to have to catch my breath at the top, maybe feel weak and whatnot, but I'm getting the shaky/jittery/nausea/crazy sweating thing even early on after the second climb. I do get similar symptoms when I bike home from work after an afternoon cup of coffee. It might be that caffeine isn't the cause, but exacerbates the cause - I naturally have slightly low blood sugar. will be tracking my heart rate for a while to see how that fits in. I'll ask doctor about maybe getting a heart test too just in case, although I think that's fine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    After a bout of climbing, my heart is pounding, I'm breathing like a woman in labor and sweat is just pouring off of me. I'll often tremble involuntarily. Sometimes I'm also super nauseous and absurdly thirsty.

Climbing hills on a bike while carrying a bunch of extra weight is extremely hard work. And it takes a long time to get good at it. And it takes practice to not constantly go into the red zone, which means it's real easy to completely blow up.

My advice is to grab a HRM and stay out of the red zone by stopping for a rest when your heart rate blows out the top of the aerobic zone.

In time, with practice, it will get better.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Assuming that you check out okay with your doctor, high intensity interval training is great for developing stamina for hills. You could do shorter high intensity intervals, with easy cardio in between, and work up to those long uphill climbs.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Thanks,everybody
    It's true I am tackling some absurd climbs and I expect to have to catch my breath at the top, maybe feel weak and whatnot, but I'm getting the shaky/jittery/nausea/crazy sweating thing even early on after the second climb. I do get similar symptoms when I bike home from work after an afternoon cup of coffee. It might be that caffeine isn't the cause, but exacerbates the cause - I naturally have slightly low blood sugar. will be tracking my heart rate for a while to see how that fits in. I'll ask doctor about maybe getting a heart test too just in case, although I think that's fine.

If you have lower blood sugar in the first place then you should know that before doing any strenuous exercise you should make sure to eat/drink to boost your blood sugar first, plus bring such items with you in case of a crash. When I read your symptoms it sure sounded like a blood sugar crash to me. Being that I'm borderline Hypo, I make sure that such workouts are accompanied with things like granola/nut bars, FRUIT (pack an apple if need be), juice along with my water. I don't like that crash feeling and others, I've found, get freaked out when they see me get all shaky and my breathing gets all screwy and I nearly pass out, imagine that. :P Eat/drink before and after a workout or take with you if you are going to be gone for a long time. Sugar-free electrolyte drinks aren't doing you any favors in this.

The other suggestions of getting a better HRM certainly can't hurt either. ;)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Are you using a HRM? It sounds like you may be overdoing it... at least on the hills. I've run hard enough to feel like passing out... with my HR at about 95% for an extended time, but I've not felt quite what you're describing. I get super chills after an intense workout (i.e. long run). Can you choose slightly lesser grade hills to climb? Change gears to make the climb easier? I'd recommend a HRM if you're not already using one.

I came in here to say this ^^^^

Very intense exercise can cause nausea and vomiting. You may want to baby step your way up to those intense climbs.

I agree. You might need to increase your carb intake too. If it turns out to be reactive hypoglycemia' google using 'SMARTIES' candies to combat this.
  • hookilau
    Smarties for reactive hypoglycemia

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058561.php
  • jendraka
    Actually, there are glucose tablets specifically for such things. I use to carry little plastic containers of them in my purse. They are chewable tablets kind of like Rolaids or Tums, but actually taste better. :p Better than downing candy I would think.
  • radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Good idea to get a physical before starting any new big change in exercise. Also agree you may be going over your max recommended heart rate and going aerobic. May simply be a fuel issue but I think it is prudent to check in with your health care provider.
  • hookilau
    Actually, there are glucose tablets specifically for such things. I use to carry little plastic containers of them in my purse. They are chewable tablets kind of like Rolaids or Tums, but actually taste better. :p Better than downing candy I would think.

quoted directly from the link I posted above. No one said anything about 'downing candy' :laugh:

.......'Two Grams can be found in five "Smarties" candy discs of the kind you see in the picture at the top of this page (which are not the candies sold under that name in the UK or Canada) or one "Sweetart" candy wafer. After you've taken the glucose, wait fifteen minutes. Do NOT repeat.

If this works, it will work in the fifteen minutes. The reason it works is that typically when a person who is not a diabetic on insulin experiences low blood sugar, that low blood sugar is rarely more than 10 mg/dl lower than a normal, non-hypoglycemic levels. Two grams of glucose will raise your blood sugar by ten mg/dl. This should lift you out of the low blood sugar range but it is so small a dose of glucose that your body is not likely to produce any more insulin in response to it. So you don't end up going low again but should stabilize at a normal level.'

ETA: I recommend reading the page in the link I posted above as this is only an excerpt.
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Sounds like low blood sugar... When I go for long/fast road cycles I take some nuts/dried fruit, but the most important is cordial/Squash I put in my water bottles.

I once went on a 3-4 hour cycle with just plain water, felt fine until suddenly had similar symptoms to you. I had to rest, then slowly get to the nearest train station to get home. As soon as I got home, had some squash, I was fine straightway...
  • jendraka

quoted directly from the link I posted above. No one said anything about 'downing candy' :laugh:

.......'Two Grams can be found in five "Smarties" candy discs of the kind you see in the picture at the top of this page (which are not the candies sold under that name in the UK or Canada) or one "Sweetart" candy wafer. After you've taken the glucose, wait fifteen minutes. Do NOT repeat.

If this works, it will work in the fifteen minutes. The reason it works is that typically when a person who is not a diabetic on insulin experiences low blood sugar, that low blood sugar is rarely more than 10 mg/dl lower than a normal, non-hypoglycemic levels. Two grams of glucose will raise your blood sugar by ten mg/dl. This should lift you out of the low blood sugar range but it is so small a dose of glucose that your body is not likely to produce any more insulin in response to it. So you don't end up going low again but should stabilize at a normal level.'

ETA: I recommend reading the page in the link I posted above as this is only an excerpt.

I looked. I knew what Smarties candy it was talking about. At least it wasn't much it was talking about eating. It really does depend on how low the level has dropped. Having an actual test done to see what one's current normal level is would be a good idea.

I still prefer to regulate with diet and food/juice now though. I use to use tablets and have a few pieces of candy in my purse for such occasions, but now I just make sure I eat certain things at certain times and make sure I plan ahead as well as I can. And fruit is my friend :wink: