Are these symptoms normal when exercising?

Options
13»

Replies

• radicalmom
    radicalmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good idea to get a physical before starting any new big change in exercise. Also agree you may be going over your max recommended heart rate and going aerobic. May simply be a fuel issue but I think it is prudent to check in with your health care provider.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Actually, there are glucose tablets specifically for such things. I use to carry little plastic containers of them in my purse. They are chewable tablets kind of like Rolaids or Tums, but actually taste better. :p Better than downing candy I would think.

quoted directly from the link I posted above. No one said anything about 'downing candy' :laugh:

.......'Two Grams can be found in five "Smarties" candy discs of the kind you see in the picture at the top of this page (which are not the candies sold under that name in the UK or Canada) or one "Sweetart" candy wafer. After you've taken the glucose, wait fifteen minutes. Do NOT repeat.

If this works, it will work in the fifteen minutes. The reason it works is that typically when a person who is not a diabetic on insulin experiences low blood sugar, that low blood sugar is rarely more than 10 mg/dl lower than a normal, non-hypoglycemic levels. Two grams of glucose will raise your blood sugar by ten mg/dl. This should lift you out of the low blood sugar range but it is so small a dose of glucose that your body is not likely to produce any more insulin in response to it. So you don't end up going low again but should stabilize at a normal level.'

ETA: I recommend reading the page in the link I posted above as this is only an excerpt.
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like low blood sugar... When I go for long/fast road cycles I take some nuts/dried fruit, but the most important is cordial/Squash I put in my water bottles.

I once went on a 3-4 hour cycle with just plain water, felt fine until suddenly had similar symptoms to you. I had to rest, then slowly get to the nearest train station to get home. As soon as I got home, had some squash, I was fine straightway...
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Actually, there are glucose tablets specifically for such things. I use to carry little plastic containers of them in my purse. They are chewable tablets kind of like Rolaids or Tums, but actually taste better. :p Better than downing candy I would think.

quoted directly from the link I posted above. No one said anything about 'downing candy' :laugh:

.......'Two Grams can be found in five "Smarties" candy discs of the kind you see in the picture at the top of this page (which are not the candies sold under that name in the UK or Canada) or one "Sweetart" candy wafer. After you've taken the glucose, wait fifteen minutes. Do NOT repeat.

If this works, it will work in the fifteen minutes. The reason it works is that typically when a person who is not a diabetic on insulin experiences low blood sugar, that low blood sugar is rarely more than 10 mg/dl lower than a normal, non-hypoglycemic levels. Two grams of glucose will raise your blood sugar by ten mg/dl. This should lift you out of the low blood sugar range but it is so small a dose of glucose that your body is not likely to produce any more insulin in response to it. So you don't end up going low again but should stabilize at a normal level.'

ETA: I recommend reading the page in the link I posted above as this is only an excerpt.

I looked. I knew what Smarties candy it was talking about. At least it wasn't much it was talking about eating. It really does depend on how low the level has dropped. Having an actual test done to see what one's current normal level is would be a good idea.

I still prefer to regulate with diet and food/juice now though. I use to use tablets and have a few pieces of candy in my purse for such occasions, but now I just make sure I eat certain things at certain times and make sure I plan ahead as well as I can. And fruit is my friend :wink: