Maintaining in college?

Options
2»

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's beer and late night delivery (pizza and wings) that are most of the "freshman 15". Which is not to say that you are wrong to want a good plan to maintain. As some others have pointed out, the good thing about college is access to a lot of great athletic/exercise opportunities. I agree that the issues with measuring cups are probably (a) time and (b) the hygiene/code issues with using outside measuring utensils. But you may want to consider this: I am sure that the juice glasses and coffee cups in the dining hall are all alike (or at least there are a limited number of different ones). Early on, figure out how much volume is in a juice glass and a coffee cup (use your measuring cup and some water, or hey, take one out with you). I am sure you could put salad dressing in a juice glass and then pour out the right amount. Coffee cup will work great for things like cereal. I am sure you know by now the things it's really easy to over-measure, and you could avoid those if you're that worried about it (ie, too many baby carrots is probably ok on the margin, but peanut butter is easy to get really wrong).
    Don't underestimate the benefits of a lot of walking. I did a ton of it just for stress relief/pleasure, in addition to it being how I got from point a to point b. Bottom line is that if you're running X-C, or working out seriously in general, just being pretty good most of the time, with an odd splurge here and there, you will probably be just fine. I was a rower, and a lightweight rower at that (a truly special kind of crazy), and I still had whatever I wanted in the dining hall every Sunday morning.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do agree with a few points here.

1) College weight gain is probably mostly from drinking. I only drank alcohol a few times when I was in college. It was not something I did regularly. I went to parties and I danced my heart out.

2) There could be a negative response to the measuring devices. I would not bring it in right off the bat. Go and get a feel for things. Make friends. See if you think it would work or not. In the end you need to decide what you think it best for you though. You have gotten a lot of good advice here.

You can do mfp and maintain without measuring. I do not have a food scale. I only occasionally measure with a spoon or cup. I go by estimates and it works fine for me.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I moved to college I lived in the dorms, had a meal plan and ate in the cafeterias. I gained 20 lbs my freshmen year. So my word of advice is do whatever you need to do. There will be a spread of food...just get what you would normally get.Eat a well balanced meal. I used to have a plate with pizza, fries, cookies, soda, etc. Mainly because it was there. Sign up for a gym class too. It's an easy A and you can workout too. Hope this helps. Good luck girl!
  • nelliepooh
    Options
    After the first month you'll get tired of the food and eat small portions no worries
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    After the first month you'll get tired of the food and eat small portions no worries

I think it depends on the school. The school I went to had great food.

I went back to visit last year and brought my kids to the dining hall (food was still great).
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    The Freshman 15 is tough I think its a combination of

1. Cafeteria Food
    2. Increased Alcohol and Partying
    3. Lack of Exercise

Most colleges have their own gym and even exercise classes you can take for free

don't worry about what others think if you have to bring measuring cups go for it

reduce the carbs like rice and potatoes and increase your veggie intake. If there are not enough healthy options dont hesitate to make a complaint, they are required to have good choices

be careful with the late night partying, lack of sleep, stress from classes, and drinking too much
  • foxymoxeyxo
    foxymoxeyxo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You don't have the measure the food IN the food line. Just put some on your plate & measure it back at your table. Eventually you'll realize they kind of serve the same things & you'll know how much of something looks like. I don't think it's realistic to tell you to that just because you should know how a certain amount of something should look like already is enough.....Especially when you first get there & don't have a feel for everything yet. The rice you get at school could have fifty million different things added in comparison to when you make your rice at home, lol. Get a feel for things in the first few weeks & then ditch the devices. I'm learning to adjust now that I'm back at school with this crazy dining hall again!
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    You can try to stick to things which are a definite portion rather than free-flowing - I'm thinking a piece of chicken or fish rather than a helping of spaghetti bolognaise?
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would avoid cafeterias totally - though that certainly can't hurt if you have access to a kitchen and are committed to cooking for yourself. When i was a freshman I LOST 15lbs mostly due to the fact that I would make myself awesome salads (within caloric reason) at the salad bar. Making a salad for myself was a pain in the *kitten*/impossible in the dorms, but with the salad bar, all the work was done! My tip would be to avoid the soft serve/froyo machine, if your cafeteria has one. That thing is evil!
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    im going to suggest an alternative that might make you think WTF.

It is called Intermittent fasting. No you are not depriving, its just strategically choosing when you eat and when you don't, perfect for the uni/ college student!

You can do the Warrior Diet style of IF or the Leangains style

Warrior Diet: you fast for around 20hours of the day and have a 4 hour eating window in which you consume all of your calories for the day. This may be difficult at first but after a few weeks you will adapt to the lifestyle. http://www.warriordiet.com/

Leangains: you fast for around 16hours minimum and have an 8 hour eating window. http://www.leangains.com/

With IF you have to fit it to your schedule. Just research it and find more info

What i'm saying is that with IF, you can skip eating during the day and completely avoid cafeterias and just eat at night with meals you've made or know the contents of.

Just food for thought
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The main reason why people gain weight in college is the massive amount calories consumed via drinking alcohol. Also, the late night munchies as a result of drinking (among other things) can add even more calories to your day. So, try to limit this behavior as best as you can.

Other than that, just do what you've been doing. Log everything in MFP, work out, etc.

I would like to add that college is an opportunity to learn so much inside and outside of the classroom. Most importantly, you learn a lot about yourself. It is also damn fun! So don't let counting calories or measuring out food interfere too much with the college lifestyle. The main point to remember is to not get out of control (see first paragraph).
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that the food on campus sucks major balls. I have classes from 8 to 4 or 5 most days so avoiding eating there is kinda hard. I will probably start packing a healthier lunch. The fact that all my classes are in opposite parts of campus and that i literally have to run to get there in time (10 minutes between classes) is probably going to help.

And i plan on using the fitness facility. A lot. My university also has all kinds of activities like boot camp, yoga, swimming etc. You could check and see if you find something you like.