Fun things to do without spending money?

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Check out the local Sierra Club or Audubon Society. They usually are open to non-members and don't push for the membership fee until you become a regular and even then, they are pretty cheap. Sierra Club tends to be younger, more athletic folks doing actual hikes. Volunteer at the local food bank or animal shelter. Look for free nights at the local zoo or museums. Go to the library and hang out in books you wouldn't buy like big art books, etc.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a year I go to B&N bookstore & make a list of cookbooks I like. Then I go home & request the books from my library. I can order up to 12 at a time, but they come in 1 or 2 a week. This gives me time to read through, drool at the pictures & try a few recipes. If I really like the cookbook I check it out on Amazon & see if I can get a cheap used copy or I put it on a wish list. My family knows to check my wish list for the ones I like.

Volunteer at a shelter, retirement home or hospital. Most places have training sessions you have to attend first...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of juvenile/teen crime in our area and it pisses me off when adults excuse it because the kids have 'nothing to do'. I made a list of things in town to do for free and I am sure many could be applied to other places:

-Take a camera downtown and take pics of your favorite artistic details, old buildings, etc..

- Walk local trails and enjoy nature

- Go to the local history and art museums (ours are free)

-Volunteer: not only at food banks but pregnancy centers, boys and girls clubs, after school care.

At home:

-re organize a room

-go through clothing, accessories and household items that are not used and can be donated

So many more.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Internet stalking. It's free (since you already have the internet) and hours of good, clean, creepy fun!!!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Try meetup. They have some pretty cool free activities and u meet new ppl
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    watch tv...tons and tons of tv
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Library or play tourist in your own town?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A small list of things that involve physical, social, and media/computer activites:

-You could always focus hard on working out; putting more time in. Never a bad thing for anyone.
    -Take up an outdoor hobby such as hiking, climbing, etc.
    -Spend more time with family and friends- unless they encourage you to spend money you wish to save.
    -You can check out movies, tv series, cds, and books for free from the local library. Some are better than others, so go check it. My wife and I just finished watching the whole Adventures of Merlin BBC series the other day thanks to the library.
    -You can download Free-To-Play games on the computer. I know the Steam client offers a lot of their own. Personally, I play a lot of League of Legends because it's amazingly fun and competitive.
    -Youtube, Twitch, Couchtuner, Crackle, and various other video streaming sites that are generally free.
    -Random: Retrace your family heritage by collecting information and doing lots of research. You'll be surprised how rewarding it can be when you start learning things.

If you're not interested in any of these things (God help you, if so), then you should just get a second job to help pass the time and make some extra cash.
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    here for ideas
  • dems11
    dems11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorite free things to do:

Local communities often host afternoons/evenings in the park, where different musical groups play for free, or movies are shown. I love going to these. You can meet new friends!

talk a walk on your local bike path, with or without a furry friend or two.

Cross a stream in your bare feet. Take your child or your nephew or niece. One of my favorite childhood memories is walking across a creek, i.e., hopping stones, with my best friend.

Borrow someone's gear and go fishing.

Volunteer at the food bank. Personally, I feel even more empathetic when $ are tight. A good time to give what you can for folks in a similar or even worse situation.

Go to a free seminar at the library or museum. Always opportunities for these in my community, which is just medium-sized.

Start scrapbooking, painting, drawing, writing, meditating, doing yoga. All solo activites will force you to quietude, where you can think through all kinds of life issues.

Go to a handicapped center or home for the elderly and volunteer your services. They would be grateful and you will be too, ultimately, for the experience.

Play with some kids outside. Run races, play hopscotch, do cartwheels, round-offs, start a baseball game or kick the can... Of course, only if you have the patience... :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been spending way too much money lately. I want to start paying off my credit card before the holiday season comes up, but I need some ideas of things I can do that don't cost a lot. My ideas so far are:

-Eat at home, make cafe drinks at home
    -Re-organize iPod music library
    -have a movie night at home on the weekend instead of going out
    -Read the books I have instead of buying new ones.

Please give me your money saving ideas!! :) Or ways to have fun without spending anything. THANKS !

Starts with an M ends with an -ate.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I play with my 3yo......or I just sit on my porch/ deck.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Find things to sell, or have a garage sale

Evaluate your budget - there are lots of tools online for that, plus money saving tips

Develop a debt repayment plan, if your serious about reducing debt

Develop a savings pan

Visit : www.gailvazoxlade.com

I'm sure you can find a hobby to occupy your time
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Google for "things to do" in your area. You might be surprised what you can find.

Go for a long walk. If it's raining, walk the mall. Go to YouTube and check out fitness videos and try some new moves.

Go to the library. Browse subjects that interest you or just sit there and people watch while you play on your tablet. Many of them offer free ebook lending (and of course there's always real books for free) and free or very cheap DVD rentals.

Also, since you're a reader, check out GoodReads. You can spend a ton of time on there finding and rating books you've read, checking out fave authors, building your "to read" list, doing quizzes, participationg in conversations, etc.

Shop at thrift stores and consignment shops. Ok, this means you might spend money but it's not a lot.

Look into what you might be able to do for volunteer work. Maybe walk dogs for the local animal shelter or help out at the soup kitchen?
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Have a pamper yourself day—trim, file and paint your own nails, leave conditioner in your hair for a couple hours, wear a facemask (you can make ones out of clay, honey, oatmeal maybe other food in your fridge), take a bath (if you have a bathtub you lucky *kitten*…sorry my envy is showing), clean your makeup brushes, learn how to apply makeup with youtube, moisturize your skin with oil.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do a google search on your own name and username and do some clean up on your identity :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Jump in the shower with your clothes on and pretend like you are in a submarine that is going down. Screaming is optional but I highly recommend it!

Fun
    Free
    and saves money and time from not having to do laundry!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    read 50 shades of grey...it seems to be all the craze for people with too much time on their hands that are looking for some cheap "entertainment"