pinched ciatic nerve

Options
My horse threw me on July 4th, I ended up with 2 jammed vertebrae (which are healing finally) and a ;pinched nerve which is still giving me lots of problems. My chiropractor gave me exercises to do once it was no longer necessary for me to go 3 to 4 times a week to see him. It still hurts like the ****ens to climb stairs and walk more than 2 miles at a time. I am wondering if anyone has had a ;pinched nerve and how long should I expect it to last? My Dr. couldn't really tell me how long it would take to heal. Thanks guys! Kate.

Replies

• phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going to an orthopedic doctor? When my nerve was pinched, I got a shot (after chiropractor actually made it worse - lost feeling in my foot). It bothered me for 4 more days after the shot, and then it completely went away. That was 13 years ago.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my back in 1992, when my son was still small. The muscle spasms caused a pinchec Ciatic nerve, and it took over 18 months to heal. It didn't hurt all the time, but any exertion would cause it to flare up. Then I would be in pain for days. Prolonged walking, driving or heavy lifting caused problems. Since my son was small, I didn't have much choice but to lift him occassionally.

Best of luck...hope you fare better with your injury.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump....I hurt mine 2 weeks ago sprinting on trails - think I stepped down on a root too hard. Then aggravated it a little more last week at the gym. I was in so much pain that I couldn't bend over and my daughter actually had to help me get dressed & put on my shoes! I've been taking it easy but I still have that uncomfortable feeling.

Alot of people have suggested seeing an orthopedist for this rather than a chiropractor. I just don't have good impression of chiropractors so afraid to go to one. Right now I'm just taking ibuprofen and tryin to let it heal before working out really hard again. But its frustrating because I"m afraid when I do, the pain will come back!
  • Katefra
    Katefra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really love my chiropractor, when I went to him for this problem, I couldn't drive, walk,bend over etc...without severe pain. Shoot, it hurt to move period. After a week I could do much better with all of that. I'm a lot better, I was just wondering when all of the little pains and spasms would go away. As it is, I still can't ride my horse yet. It's very annoying to be so active and then all of a sudden you can't do anything. I'm sure you all know that feeling. Thanks for the replies!
  • gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I developed sciatic nerve related pain due to poor lifting form over the course of months. I ended up with a ruptured disc that was pressing on the nerve and causing nearly constant leg pain.

After a 6-8 months of epidurals and taking it easy, my orthopedist advised me that if it hadn't gotten any better by then, it wasn't going to and back surgery was the only option for relief.

So, I had a microdiscectomy and I haven't had any serious problems since.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    ouch.