Heart Rate Monitor - SUGGESTIONS

Options
Looking for a heart rate monitor - many people here suggested that works better than a scale - ha ha.

I need something I don't have to touch (put two fingers) on every time I at to check heart rate. Something that will automatically check that + know my target rate and motivate me to reach it.

Also needs to be VERY affordable.

Replies

• hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Beat me to it! Was just going to ask the same so thought id better jump on your bandwagon instead :-) defo any suggestions welcome x
  • Jenelle64
    Options
    I think many people would tell you to invest in a HRM that has a chest strap. These will continuously monitor your heart rate during your workout and calculate the amount of calories burned. There are several threads with suggestions if you want to do a search on HRM's. I looked at several of these threads before I got mine and it seems that most contributors prefer the Polar brand. Which one and the price is dependent on the features that you need or would like to have.

That being said, I did some research on line and I bought a Sportline Duo 1060 on Ebay for under $60. It's loaded with features that I'm not sure I will ever use, and the directions on how to access the features are horrible, but I have played around with it and figured out how to get the information that I'm going after right now. I was worried about the chest strap but I don't even notice it when I'm exercising. The other thing that I have noticed with mine is that the calories it calculates are lower then either MFP or the machines but I believe it to be more accurate. Before I got my HRM I was stuck at one weight, I even gained some but I have lost 2 pounds since I got it which is why I think the HRM calories are closer to the true burn for me.

I was skeptical at first but I’m very glad I invested in a HRM.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the polar F6, its reasonably priced and gets the job done, and does include the chest strap. I have had mine for about 3 yrs now and still going strong. :smile: I know the newer F6 model has a really pretty pink which makes me jealous, mine is the light pink version.
  • soxgirlie2476
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 which has the chest strap and I love it! It does try and synch with the treadmill or elliptical HR screen which is nice. It also is pretty and pinkish/purple.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I use a polar F1 from Argos at around £30 it does everything the F2 does except calculate you Max Heart Rate for you I have had much more success while working less, Keeping in Zone 1-2 the weight has begun to really move again and my routines are getting longer at 140 bpm I soon flag at 120 bpm I carry on and on. Since investing in the Polar F1 I have lost 6kg in five weeks and easily Row, Cycle, Elliptical 30k plus daily approx five times more than before when I thought working harder was better.

48508387.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • theguy12
    Options
    Are there any without a chest strap AND without the two buttons.

I found a ALPHA MIO that is a watch that measures through your skin.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The ones without the chest strap are def less accurate! I also have a polar FT4 and loving it! It works great and can see your heart rate whenever you want! Plus you can set a max and a minimum, it'll beep if you're under or over!
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT4...

simples
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

a girl at my job bought this and said it was crap. It was not consistant or accurate.

I have the Polar FT60. Cant go wrong but it was over $120 for it. I did have an issue and Polar's customer service was top notch replacing my transmitter for free and with no hassles when there was a connection issue.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 which has the chest strap and I love it! It does try and synch with the treadmill or elliptical HR screen which is nice. It also is pretty and pinkish/purple.

i have the polar f4 and i also love it. it has a big display on the watch i just have to glace at it and i immediatly know what im working with. and it was easy to set up- works great.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options

i was resistant to the chest strap too. but for accuaracy - its worth it. and if your wearing a HRM you are usually going for calorie burn accuracy - at least i was. best of luck in your search. oh i got mine on amazon too- way better deal than retail.
  • MYWILLS
    MYWILLS Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    POLAR is the easiest to operate. worth any extra bucks. I have had mine about 5 years and even use it in the pool. Love the simplicity and accuracy. I know some people who went cheap and got features they won't use and complicated use.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I actually have a Pyle Sport HRM with chest strap and I love it. It doesn't come with all the fancy features and the stopwatch has to be engaged for it to track calories burned, but it works nicely for my purposes and was around $30. Also, as best as I can tell (testing it against medical results and taking my own pulse, it's about as close to accurate as I could ask for in a HRM.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • theguy12
    Options
    Now I a thinking - how is a heart rate monitor going to help. I already log my workouts on MFP.

How is wearing a heart rate monitor going to change what I input?

I know it would help me know if I am in my target heart rate range BUT that I can tell with my little $15 dollar one I have now. Not sure how these more high tech ones are going to change how I work out OR how I log my exercise?!?!

Help?!
  • Echarde
    Options
    btw, my first message here ))
    Once I decided to track my heart rate and calories burned I made some researches about the HRMs available on the market. First I decided for sure that it should be chest strap HRM.
    Second, I decided to use it with my iPhone 4S.
    Third, I defined my budget at $50-70. Choosing among several options (including Polar), at last i made my choice although it wasn't the expected result )) I dared to put my money on the "dark horse" in fine. Not so "dark" actually cos there were a lot of testimonials on Amazon and I liked the name )) So voila http://www.amazon.com/Beets-BLU-Wireless-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B008LT0MBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378913335&sr=8-1&keywords=beets+blu

~$60. Using it with a free Runtastic app now, going to test other applications for walking and running. yes, it took some time to get used to this strap, but I feel ok now and it does its work accurately.
    Hope it's helpful.