Raw Milk...Thoughts?

Options
So this morning I tried my first cup of grass-fed organic cow's milk...raw. I have to say I really liked it! Not much different than the whole milk I have been used to drinking.

I know there's controversy surrounded by consumption of raw milk, but I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    What thoughts? There is no legit reason it should not be legal. That is all.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Do you even know what you've started?

I had raw milk a few times. I like it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In b4 Campylobacter
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Breast milk is all I drink. That's milk in the rawest form and it is produced specifically for humans.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Breast milk is all I drink. That's milk in the rawest form and it is produced specifically for humans.

XD
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    So this morning I tried my first cup of grass-fed organic cow's milk...raw. I have to say I really liked it! Not much different than the whole milk I have been used to drinking.

I know there's controversy surrounded by consumption of raw milk, but I'd like to get your thoughts on it.
    It's not legal in my state so I haven't tried it. I don't actually drink milk, but I would like to have an easy source to make raw milk cheese which is really expensive in the grocery store. Stupid laws.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's illegal to sell where I am, but farmers can 'give it away'. Personally I've never tried it. There have been cases of food poisoning because of raw milk which is why it's not a huge thing over here. If someone gets sick from milk, you bet it'll be on the 6 o'clock news!
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    We drank raw milk for years from a non organic (admittedly, pretty dirty looking dairy). Never had any problems. I don't drink much milk anymore.

Why on earth should it be illegal? People know the risk, they can do whatever they want with their own body.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Please DO NOT drink any unpasteurized milk if you are pregnant or immunocompromised.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I agree that drinking raw milk is stupid, but I disagree that it should be illegal. I don't want my money (tax dollars) being spent on preventing other people from being idiots. It affects them, not me... so it's none of my business.

As part of the "none of my business" belief, if the raw milk drinkers get salmonella, e. coli, or listeria... other than an "I told you so", it's not my business either.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you aren't use to it or don't know the farmer it can be a baaaaaad idea. My uncle had a farm and once or twice we had some milk before it was boiled but it had not been out of the cow for more than a couple of minutes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Louis Pasteur is my hero!
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When you drink milk straight out of cow, it's frankly disgusting. I've done it, on the farm, almost every summer as a kid. Not only is milking the cow nasty, their tails are full of crap and hay and they quite often swish it into the bucket. The milk is warm, flies land in it, cats are drinking out of it, and most of it was milked directly into a what I would say is not the cleanest pail (rinsed each time with the garden hose). There's nothing quite like picking a cow tail hair with manure still on it out of your cereal bowl. I don't eat the wheat right off the stalk either, I prefer it once it's been made into a loaf of bread.

To each their own though.

I'll have mine pasteurized please.
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options

I agree that drinking raw milk is stupid, but I disagree that it should be illegal. I don't want my money (tax dollars) being spent on preventing other people from being idiots. It affects them, not me... so it's none of my business.

As part of the "none of my business" belief, if the raw milk drinkers get salmonella, e. coli, or listeria... other than an "I told you so", it's not my business either.

Thank you!