poor mans low calorie meal options

Options
Ok so my fiancé and I are planning our wedding and we had a huge financial snag this month so are looking to spend way less on groceries. So my question is i need ideas for cheap meals but good meals and meals that do not include a lot of ingredients as they cost to much to buy if we don't already have. Examples that work well with us. Cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, tacos, sandwiches. Obviously these are NOT the things that we would choose to eat but wanted to provide examples of how "easy" i am looking it may sound like a lame question but i really can't think of meal ideas. Now comes the even harder part. We do not eat seafood of any kind so fish is out. Even if you know of prepackaged/processed BUT lower in calorie ideas that would be great.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are cheaper but more work. Canned beans are still relatively cheap and work well in tacos or vegetarian chili with lots of green pepper and onion ( I also like adding carrots and celery). Rice has gotten more expensive but still relatively cheap. I also throw cheaper cuts of beef with some onion and seasoning into a crock pot and make stew without too much fuss.
  • Missi_Mae
    Options
    Thank you, great suggestions and I really appreciate it:)
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Soup, chili, red beans and rice, etc all are pretty cheap. I don't know how low cal you're talking... I like hummus wraps in summer with veggies.

Mostly, if you buy cheaper cuts of meat, cook from scratch and stay away from processed foods (you can also save good money not buying stuff like cokes and just drinking water) you will save money on groceries. Frozen veggies and in season produce will also help.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also make a large roast chicken on the weekend (just seasoned with some poultry seasoning) and have left overs for wraps or add some BBQ sauce for BBQ chicken sandwiches.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I add chicken or tuna to either canned or frozen mixes veggies with a couple tablespoons of bbq/buffalo/teriyaki sauce... Everything is better covered in sauce. It's pretty in expensive as well to take a low-calorie soup you like and beef it up with more protein and more veggies to make it last longer.
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out budgetbytes.com. She has LOTS of really great recipes that are very easy to make and many are low cal/healty and can be modified to fit what you have around the house or what you can get your hands on. We've eaten several of her recipes and every one has been wonderful! Check it out :)

*** Edit to add: as implied by the name of the site everything is budget friendly and has a cost breakdown per meal & serving! Good Luck!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast in bulk. I get mine at Walmart for $1.99 a pound. Frozen veggies and/or veggies from the farmers market. Canned or dried beans.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    One word: leftovers

We often cook a recipe that would feed 4 - 6 people, and then we either have leftovers for lunch or dinner.

or use your leftovers to create the next meal..... my husband likes leftover taco meat in with kraft dinner (none of that is on my diet) we just try not to waste the food we have.

Look for frozen veg on sale.

Another thing we do to stay on budget is to plan out the weeks worth of meals, check the freezer, fridge and pantry for ideas... then we only buy what we need.
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get $1 frozen vegetables at Kroger. They have lots of different kinds. I also buy a lot of ground turkey and brown it with a little seasoning. It's great for portioning and you can make A LOT of different types of meals with it! Eggs are packed in protein and reasonably cheap as well.
  • moosiau
    moosiau Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi :) whenever I'm making anything that contains meat such as chilli's and stews, I always bulk them up with beans and any cheap vegetables that I can find (frozen veg works great and is usually much cheaper than fresh) ^_^ I've also found that vegetarian mince (like quorn) is usually a lot cheaper than actual mince and tastes just as good :) You can also find noodles and vegetables for insanely cheap if you buy them at oriental stores :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    big bags of raw spinach (you can eat raw as a salad or cook it up). I like to make a salad with eggs (also cheap) canned beets (more cheap), and homemade dressing (yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, and spices - cheap if you already have the spices).

Frozen chicken breasts can be less expensive then fresh, and while processed, they are very low in calories, and would add a protein to the above. You also have canned chicken, but I prefer the frozen. You can marinate these in whatever, heck, even the dressing I mentioned before.

veggies from farmers markets are often cheaper than at the grocery, and often more fresh as well

canned tomatoes can be used to make other veggies go further (so add to zucchini or mushrooms to bulk up for less). I also agree with the lesser cuts on steak (marinating it will make it more tender, or stewing it in some canned tomatoes as well). It also has a tendency to be leaner, and therefore lower in calories.

Cauliflower is also a good one. We boil two heads and mash it up - add salt/pepper/garlic and it serves as a fake carb to go under anything (kind of like mashed potatoes).

We also like to shop the sales, and then come up with recipes on the fly depending on what we've bought. It takes some effort, but if you shop a few times a week (like at the farmers market or when the sale hits) you can also save more money vs. stocking up when things aren't on sale.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A great YUMMY, low carb, low calorie dish I prepared recently is a cabbage salad. I am not a huge lover of cabbage-BUT I AM NOW!!! Plus, you can pretty much make it twice if you buy whole cabbages!

Super easy and cheap:
    1/2 red cabbage
    1/2 green cabbage
    1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
    1 onion
    8 strips of bacon (we used Fletchers center cut- 2 strips are 80 cal)

Cook bacon. Remove from pan.
    Cut up all the cabbage and onion and put in pan with remaining bacon grease. Cook. Cut up bacon and add to cooking cabbage. Add worchestershire sauce. Cook until soft.

ENJOY!
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    oh.. .and soup ... easy & cheap to make... we tend to make french onion, vegetable chili, and squash soup
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    load up on salad and chicken thighs, legs and in season fruit:happy:
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Ok so my fiancé and I are planning our wedding and we had a huge financial snag this month so are looking to spend way less on groceries. So my question is i need ideas for cheap meals but good meals and meals that do not include a lot of ingredients as they cost to much to buy if we don't already have. Examples that work well with us. Cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, tacos, sandwiches. Obviously these are NOT the things that we would choose to eat but wanted to provide examples of how "easy" i am looking it may sound like a lame question but i really can't think of meal ideas. Now comes the even harder part. We do not eat seafood of any kind so fish is out. Even if you know of prepackaged/processed BUT lower in calorie ideas that would be great.

Look through my diary. I have maybe ~$150/month to spend on groceries, and I make it work. All the stuff I eat is pretty inexpensive.

I'm a big fan of the frozen "family sized" bags of tilapia, chicken, etc. Canned veggies and beans are cheap too. Pasta is relatively inexpensive depending on the brand.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Rice, pasta, dry beans, whole chickens, ground beef etc can all be had for relatively cheap and easy to make dishes with
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you use dry beans I would just stick them in the crock pot for 2-3 hours on high. It is the easier and fastest way to cook your beans. :)

Regarding cheap easy to cook meals:

frozen veggies and shopping at whole stores (like BJs, Sams Club, Costco) you can purchase protein.

We like to do two veggies and a protein for dinners. My husband needs a carb as well so I will make up a pot of rice on Sunday or heat up some tortillas to eat with his protein. The rice lasts about a week in the refrigerator and he can have as much or as little as he wants.
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I always eat a lot of pasta. It's cheap, hardly any sodium, and always tasty!
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburgers, grilled chicken, tacos, sandwiches. Obviously these are NOT the things that we would choose to eat

Why would you NOT choose to eat these things? There is nothing wrong with these things. I grill up homemade cheeseburgers at least once per week. We also have a taco night once per week. Grilled chicken (various seasonings and/or marinades) is a staple in my home.

Burgers with corn on the cob (corn is in season right now, you should be able to get it cheap); maybe a side of green beans. Serve up a couple of tacos with a fresh garden salad for a side. I do all manner of side dishes with grilled chicken...tomorrow I'll be doing some chicken marinated in Italian dressing with a side of roasted potatoes and roasted broccoli.
  • healthyfitwannabe
    Options
    My husband and I are also on a tight budget for groceries due to medical expenses. I have found that it helps keep food costs down if once a week we eat something made with eggs, such as veggie omlettes, and we also eat something made with rice and canned black beans, such as "burrito bowls" (no tortilla wrap) another evening. We eat very healthy for the most part by avoiding processed foods and sticking with basic ingredients plus lots of fruit and veggies.

I also agree with the other poster who suggested the use of a crock pot if you have one. And lastly, if you have access to a discount grocery chain such as Aldi in your area shopping for staples there can save quite a bit. Milk is less expensive there, as are many other things. Not everything there may be to your taste, but I buy eggs, milk, cheese, pasta sauce, canned beans, rice, yogurt and cereal there at a big savings.

Best wishes on your wedding celebration!