• HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yeah just don't get bummed if that's not how it works out

Worse things have happened. :)
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Try 1 pound a week, until you get to the last 20 pounds, then half a pound a week. The other way leads only to madness, or eating disorders, or both.

Would just like to add or yo-yo-ing. Did that *kitten* for years before I decided to be real about the whole thing.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    31 days in a month = 4.43 weeks

10 lbs. divided by 4.43 weeks = 2.25 lbs. a week

I would not say having a goal of losing 2.25 lbs. a week is enough to warrant total *kitten* responses from overeager keyboard thumpers.

Weight loss at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is considered safe by most reputable sources.

What am I doing to lose it you ask? I'm eating less and moving more.

If that's too much for some of you to handle without getting your thongs twisted into pretzels, please move on. You're probably the ones with the preamble all in caps, warning people that you have too many friends and not to friend you anyhow.

You can do all the math you want to on this, but physiology is going to win in the end. Some of the people with their "thongs twisted" are trying to give you valuable information. Those are the kind of friends you should surround yourself with--people who won't sugar-coat things for you. I am one of those people. If you can take the heat, feel free to send a request.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I usually lose 1lb-1.5/week on average but some weeks I lose none, and some weeks I do lose 2.5, I can tell you this, I NEVER lose 2.5lbs week after week. It's unrealistic considering your total amount of weight to lose.

Week 1: -0.6
    Week 2: -2.5
    Week 3: same
    Week 4: -.0.6
    Week 5: -1.6

^^ That's how real weight loss happens.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    31 days in a month = 4.43 weeks

10 lbs. divided by 4.43 weeks = 2.25 lbs. a week

I would not say having a goal of losing 2.25 lbs. a week is enough to warrant total *kitten* responses from overeager keyboard thumpers.

Weight loss at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is considered safe by most reputable sources.

What am I doing to lose it you ask? I'm eating less and moving more.

If that's too much for some of you to handle without getting your thongs twisted into pretzels, please move on. You're probably the ones with the preamble all in caps, warning people that you have too many friends and not to friend you anyhow.

How much total weight do you have to lose?

When you are obese, then yes - 1 to 2 pounds a week is safe.
    When your goal is getting you to your goal weight.. not so much.
    The closer you get to goal, the harder it is to lose that weight.

Expecting to lose 2 pounds a week per week until your body is perfect is unrealistic and you WILL be setting yourself up for disappointment three months from now when you haven't lost your 2.25 pounds per week over the whole period.

The ones who give a crap about your overall health and express concern... they must be jerkfaces... how dare they tell you it can't be done!

People with attitude are embraced here.

Good luck in your journey
    *hugs*
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.

Ouch. She was just trying to be helpful, no need to snap at her
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

She wasn't snapping. She was being blunt. It's even written - "To be blunt"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

Oh. Sign me up. That's the kind of "friend" I want.
  • gabbygirl78
    Options

It's ok , I don't get offended easily. I was just merely stating facts. I think I did address 20-50 lbs to lose. I wasn't saying that it was healthy for this person to lose 10 lbs a month. That's why I said " it depends on how much you have to lose" It varies depending on the amount to be lost. I was just stating that 10 lbs a month isn't always unhealthy...... Some people are just naturally " arseholes ":tongue:
  • Achrya
    Options

To be blunt, you're an *kitten*.

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

Well I should hope not, that would be weird and probably inaccurate.

I am honest though and to be honest jumping to extremes to attempt to explain something is silly. No one is saying someone with 150 pounds to lose can't aim high, we're saying someone with 30 pounds to lose shouldn't aim to drop that in 3 months.

Her example has nothing to do with what is being said to you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

Well I should hope not, that would be weird and probably inaccurate.
    :laugh: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

Well, that escalated quickly :huh:
  • gabbygirl78
    Options

Whoa! Nicely done!!! High Five!:laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Sigh.

Oh you like it. :tongue:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mky23oiTiz1rblqp8o1_250.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

Oh you like it. :tongue:

hell-yeah.gif
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Hey! You're a really nice person!

Furthermore, I appreciate you sharing information about realistic goals and what it means to be outside the typical parameters (which most people obviously are not). :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.