"Sorry, not accepting any more friend requests"

Options

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.

Ouch. She was just trying to be helpful, no need to snap at her

She wasn't snapping. She was being blunt. It's even written - "To be blunt"

Saying "I'm a selfish ****" doesn't make it okay to be one. Saying "to be blunt" doesn't exempt you from having basic manners and from showing decency towards others. There was no need for the last sentence
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.

Saying "I'm a selfish ****" doesn't make it okay to be one. Saying "to be blunt" doesn't exempt you from having basic manners and from showing decency towards others. There was no need for the last sentence

Welcome to a public forum. People are allowed to express opinions the way they want. In fact, welcome to life. It's not always pretty with rainbow farting unicorns.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mky23oiTiz1rblqp8o1_250.gif

I hope you brought some to share.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    <--- Bacon wrapped awesomeness. Way more than you can handle.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Welcome to a public forum. People are allowed to express opinions the way they want. In fact, welcome to life. It's not always pretty with rainbow farting unicorns.

Unicorns DO NOT fart
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Desperation is right. I want to lose 10 lbs./month all the way through the end of the year. I'll take any help I can get! :)

right there is a thread killer.

10lbs a month for three months? when you only have another 45 to lose?

That's a crazy unrealistic goal.
    How are you planning on achieving that goal?

What kind of "friends" are you expecting to get that will support that?

Amputations would work. Maybe she can get an ortho doc to support her.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not accepting any more friend requests. It's not you it's me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Hey! You're a really nice person!

Furthermore, I appreciate you sharing information about realistic goals and what it means to be outside the typical parameters (which most people obviously are not). :flowerforyou:

:laugh: Why thank you.

Alas, realism isn't for everyone.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

To be blunt, you're an *kitten*.

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

Where as you seem delightful - where do I signup for the FR? :noway:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    "Hey, be my friend and support me no matter what, or else I'll call you an overeager keyboard thumper and an *kitten*!"

That's basically what I get from this thread. Also, friend request not sent.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    31 days in a month = 4.43 weeks

10 lbs. divided by 4.43 weeks = 2.25 lbs. a week

I would not say having a goal of losing 2.25 lbs. a week is enough to warrant total *kitten* responses from overeager keyboard thumpers.

Weight loss at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is considered safe by most reputable sources.

What am I doing to lose it you ask? I'm eating less and moving more.

If that's too much for some of you to handle without getting your thongs twisted into pretzels, please move on. You're probably the ones with the preamble all in caps, warning people that you have too many friends and not to friend you anyhow.

Can be done. I just wanted to lose 5 lbs in 5 weeks. I hit 4.2 lbs in 9 days.

Calorie goal is per day is 1590
    Workouts are running 250 to 400 cals 5 times per week (4 crossfit and 1 ice hockey game)
    Easily beating goals by 100 cals sometimes more and not killing myself (if you can consider crossfit not killing yourself, this could be debatable...:laugh: )

Weight 9/1/13 -176
    Weight this morning 9/10/13 - 171.8
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mpt135HkxG1sap74ho1_500.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Funny you'd mention that, because I'm also a selfish witch. We clearly disagree on what there is and isn't a need for.

tumblr_loji8cXqk51qikhz3o1_500.gif
  • SID081108
    SID081108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

HA! I like you. I was about to say there are a whole lot of rude high-and-mighty's around here. And I'm not talking about the ones who nicely say they don't think that's a realistic goal...there are plenty who didn't say it nicely and I hope people are not this rude in real life. I love how everyone thinks they can whatever they want from behind a computer screen.

Good luck, OP!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm using myself as an example of what NOT to do. I started losing 3-5 lbs a week for several weeks. Then my hair started falling out, my skin started shriveling up, I was grumpy all the time, I was exhausted all the time, I was a b**** all the time, I had no appetite, I had no energy, ..... I could keep going.

Then I learned what to do. I will occassionally still lose maybe 2lbs a week but rarely, I aim at 1 - 1.5 lbs/wk. And I get to eat again, my hairs growing back, I have energy to spare, I'm only grumpy when it's TOM, my skin looks amazing, I have a gargantuan (sp. ?) appetite, ...

All thanks to the "*****'s" on this site who set me straight.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

When I read that last sentence, I did not read it as an attack - as if she was saying "you're fat so don't worry"
    When I read it.. i read it as.. stating the fact that because the poster has a long way to go, 10 pounds a month is highly doable for her. So no one is going to tell her she can't do it. If that same poster loses 120 pounds and comes back and says she's going to lose the last bit at the same rate... then they WILL tell her it can't be done.

I have been working for 3 years on my last 15 pounds. Body recomp is HARD. Maintenance is a challenge. Finding balance is key.

It's like athletes... when they start out, they make huge gains in their speeds or distances, but eventually they level out and have to fight for their gains the closer they reach Olympian status.

Weight loss is no different. The closer you get to goal, the harder you have to fight for it.

I know the person who posted that comment - she was not being mean, she is not a mean person. She was just saying... when you have a good chunk of weight to lose, no one is going to tell you THAT goal for THAT weight is unrealistic. because it isn't.

The OP's goal, if her ticker is accurate and it takes her to healthy body range... IS unrealistic.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

It sure as heck does! Its in the geneva conventions...Look it up!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx8281D0upTc6eDNssHu-CYwjlW0xxsqsB8dI0WaFhI8R8Q5Zv
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    31 days in a month = 4.43 weeks

10 lbs. divided by 4.43 weeks = 2.25 lbs. a week

I would not say having a goal of losing 2.25 lbs. a week is enough to warrant total *kitten* responses from overeager keyboard thumpers.

Weight loss at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is considered safe by most reputable sources.

What am I doing to lose it you ask? I'm eating less and moving more.

If that's too much for some of you to handle without getting your thongs twisted into pretzels, please move on. You're probably the ones with the preamble all in caps, warning people that you have too many friends and not to friend you anyhow.

Based on this response alone.... I like you! LOL You've already learned the ways of the forums! :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

HA! I like you. I was about to say there are a whole lot of rude high-and-mighty's around here. And I'm not talking about the ones who nicely say they don't think that's a realistic goal...there are plenty who didn't say it nicely and I hope people are not this rude in real life. I love how everyone thinks they can whatever they want from behind a computer screen.

Good luck, OP!

You know everyone?
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    tumblr_molgwaY6801qzbziuo1_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.