"Sorry, not accepting any more friend requests"

Options

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    "Hey, be my friend and support me no matter what, or else I'll call you an overeager keyboard thumper and an *kitten*!"

That's basically what I get from this thread. Also, friend request not sent.

+1
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I know the person who posted that comment - she was not being mean, she is not a mean person. She was just saying... when you have a good chunk of weight to lose, no one is going to tell you THAT goal for THAT weight is unrealistic. because it isn't.

That is supposed to be a secret. :grumble:

Also yes, to what you said. I'm not saying "Hoho, you're a fatty, fatty.", I'm saying 'You and the OP aren't the same, your weight loss is in a different place than her's, and the advice being given to her isn't meant to encompass all people or cover all the various levels of safe weight loss, it's meant to focus on the OP. I've been 200+ pounds, so I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just keeping things straight and not letting people whose experience is on the other end of the spectrum confuse the issue.

I have 10 more pounds to lose, so what applies to me doesn't apply to the OP either, btw.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.

Ouch. She was just trying to be helpful, no need to snap at her

She wasn't snapping. She was being blunt. It's even written - "To be blunt"

Saying "I'm a selfish ****" doesn't make it okay to be one. Saying "to be blunt" doesn't exempt you from having basic manners and from showing decency towards others. There was no need for the last sentence

When I read that last sentence, I did not read it as an attack - as if she was saying "you're fat so don't worry"
    When I read it.. i read it as.. stating the fact that because the poster has a long way to go, 10 pounds a month is highly doable for her. So no one is going to tell her she can't do it. If that same poster loses 120 pounds and comes back and says she's going to lose the last bit at the same rate... then they WILL tell her it can't be done.

I have been working for 3 years on my last 15 pounds. Body recomp is HARD. Maintenance is a challenge. Finding balance is key.

It's like athletes... when they start out, they make huge gains in their speeds or distances, but eventually they level out and have to fight for their gains the closer they reach Olympian status.

Weight loss is no different. The closer you get to goal, the harder you have to fight for it.

I know the person who posted that comment - she was not being mean, she is not a mean person. She was just saying... when you have a good chunk of weight to lose, no one is going to tell you THAT goal for THAT weight is unrealistic. because it isn't.

The OP's goal, if her ticker is accurate and it takes her to healthy body range... IS unrealistic.

When I grow up, I want to be super nice and smart like Mirey. :flowerforyou: And I agree with you. I didn't read that as an attack either. Just a "yes, that works for you, but it won't work for OP".
  • blondieellie
    blondieellie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Just returned after having a baby and need support too!
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Actually It depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how much is a healthy amount to lose in a month. If you only have like 20 to 50 to lose then , yeah, 1-2 lbs a week would be great but if you have 100-150+ to lose then losing 10 + lbs a month is nothing. The closer you get to your goal though it should slow down. I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks but I also have 150 lbs to lose. I am following the allowances that MFP set up for me and keeping my calorie intake around 1500 calories. Everyone is different though and loses weight at different paces.

To be blunt this isn't about you or your goals. You have 139 pounds yet to go, the OP has 30. No one is going to come after you and say "You can't lose 10 pounds a month', I assure you.

To be blunt, you're an *kitten*.

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

HA! I like you. I was about to say there are a whole lot of rude high-and-mighty's around here. And I'm not talking about the ones who nicely say they don't think that's a realistic goal...there are plenty who didn't say it nicely and I hope people are not this rude in real life. I love how everyone thinks they can whatever they want from behind a computer screen.

Good luck, OP!

Thank you!

I've never been really huge, so I haven't had to deal with the discrimination from being overweight. I've never been ridiculed because of it. Nobody has ever called me fat.

So, I'm not really a pro at losing weight. Admittedly, 2.5 lbs. a week may not work.

But what really blows my mind is how seemingly retaliatory some folks are, who have been really overweight and have been treated like trash. It's like coming here to kick some *kitten* is their way of getting even.

What a horrible place to serve up some justice, or unload some years of pent up resentments.

Like the person who prefaced their comment with, "I'll be blunt" and then ended it with a slight about the other poster's weight.

On one thread, folks are talking about how horribly they've been treated, and all the rotten things people have said to them about their weight. And on all the other threads, are people who have been really overweight, just waiting to kick anybody who dares to open their mouth.

whatever. Sorry if I alerted all the weight loss professional gawkers. No, I have no plans to become anorexic. I'm a mom and a wife. I'm not about to do anything stupid.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "Hey, be my friend and support me no matter what, or else I'll call you an overeager keyboard thumper and an *kitten*!"

That's basically what I get from this thread. Also, friend request not sent.

^^This. :drinker:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

You're so eager to bust someone's chops, that you failed to see her message. She is using herself as an example to prove a point, which obviously flew right over your head.

No one is going to come after you and say "Hey, you're a really nice person", I assure you.

HA! I like you. I was about to say there are a whole lot of rude high-and-mighty's around here. And I'm not talking about the ones who nicely say they don't think that's a realistic goal...there are plenty who didn't say it nicely and I hope people are not this rude in real life. I love how everyone thinks they can whatever they want from behind a computer screen.

Good luck, OP!

You know everyone?

images_zps931fcd02.jpg
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. It's a very aggressive one and as long as you aim high and keep it healthy, more power to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Good luck, OP!

Thank you!

I've never been really huge, so I haven't had to deal with the discrimination from being overweight. I've never been ridiculed because of it. Nobody has ever called me fat.

So, I'm not really a pro at losing weight. Admittedly, 2.5 lbs. a week may not work.

But what really blows my mind is how seemingly retaliatory some folks are, who have been really overweight and have been treated like trash. It's like coming here to kick some *kitten* is their way of getting even.

What a horrible place to serve up some justice, or unload some years of pent up resentments.

Like the person who prefaced their comment with, "I'll be blunt" and then ended it with a slight about the other poster's weight.

On one thread, folks are talking about how horribly they've been treated, and all the rotten things people have said to them about their weight. And on all the other threads, are people who have been really overweight, just waiting to kick anybody who dares to open their mouth.

whatever. Sorry if I alerted all the weight loss professional gawkers. No, I have no plans to become anorexic. I'm a mom and a wife. I'm not about to do anything stupid.

re word the statement in bold... you PERCEIVED it to be a slight about the other person's weight.
    It was not written with that intention. You PERCEIVED it that way. More than one other person read it as the opposite.

untwist that there thong, deary.

Glad to hear you aren't going to do anything stupid.
  • MireyGal76
    Options

When I grow up, I want to be super nice and smart like Mirey. :flowerforyou: And I agree with you. I didn't read that as an attack either. Just a "yes, that works for you, but it won't work for OP".

:smooched:

at one point I tried to be sarcastic... but even that appeared nice.
    sheesh
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    31 days in a month = 4.43 weeks

10 lbs. divided by 4.43 weeks = 2.25 lbs. a week

I would not say having a goal of losing 2.25 lbs. a week is enough to warrant total *kitten* responses from overeager keyboard thumpers.

Weight loss at a rate of 1 to 2 lbs. a week is considered safe by most reputable sources.

What am I doing to lose it you ask? I'm eating less and moving more.

If that's too much for some of you to handle without getting your thongs twisted into pretzels, please move on. You're probably the ones with the preamble all in caps, warning people that you have too many friends and not to friend you anyhow.

You can do all the math you want to on this, but physiology is going to win in the end. Some of the people with their "thongs twisted" are trying to give you valuable information. Those are the kind of friends you should surround yourself with--people who won't sugar-coat things for you. I am one of those people. If you can take the heat, feel free to send a request.

/\/\/\/\/\ This EXACTLY.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ]

Thank you!

It wasn't a slight it was just the truth without rainbows and pixy dust :noway:

You yourself have been quite rude - and apparently don't even have an excuse like the "formally really overweight people". Wow you are pretty judgemental yourself hun.

Here have a flower :flowerforyou: :noway:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I had a goal to lose 30 pounds in the beginning of the year. I lost it in less than three months while being monitored by a family doctor, a oncologist, and a rheumatologist. None of them thought it was an unrealistic goal. Perhaps it had more to do with that I only carried that weight for a little over a year and I have always been in shape. Who knows.

I just busted my *kitten* and only ate half of my exercises calories back until I reached the goal.

Suggesting over the internet that one can or can't lose weight a healthy way without knowing their circumstances or being a doctor/nurse seems a little crazy.

Everybody's body reacts differently to weight loss or gain for that matter.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ]

Thank you!

It wasn't a slight it was just the truth without rainbows and pixy dust :noway:

You yourself have been quite rude - and apparently don't even have an excuse like the "formally really overweight people". Wow you are pretty judgemental yourself hun.

Here have a flower :flowerforyou: :noway:

Also to add it's interesting that you claim the mean folk on this thread are the ones that have been really overweight - yet they have less weight to lose than you overall...........
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to get in on this a little more... because wow.
    292.gif
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options

Good luck, OP!

Thank you!

Hee hee, ha ha. Trying to breath here. Has anyone else noticed that the person up in arms about how retaliatory everyone else is, is so far the only person that's resorted to calling someone names? My suggestion would be to avoid throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

If you want friends to support you, that's fine - understand that those types of friends (especially the good ones) are going to be the ones who tell you hey, I support and encourage you and want you to succeed, but your goals might be unrealistic. Bluntly it doesn't sound like you're wanting supportive friends so much "yes men" who won't have the audacity to disagree with you. That ain't what I call a friend.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Desperation is right. I want to lose 10 lbs./month all the way through the end of the year. I'll take any help I can get! :)

Humor or serious?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There is no reason to "come after" anyone. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about losing 2.25 lbs per month as long as you have that weight to lose. It's agressive and not easy, but can be done healthily.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I had a goal to lose 30 pounds in the beginning of the year. I lost it in less than three months while being monitored by a family doctor, a oncologist, and a rheumatologist. None of them thought it was an unrealistic goal. Perhaps it had more to do with that I only carried that weight for a little over a year and I have always been in shape. Who knows.

I just busted my *kitten* and only ate half of my exercises calories back until I reached the goal.

Suggesting over the internet that one can or can't lose weight a healthy way without knowing their circumstances or being a doctor/nurse seems a little crazy.

Everybody's body reacts differently to weight loss or gain for that matter.

Congratulations!
    :drinker:

tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Good luck, OP!

Thank you!

Because no wife/mother's have had an eating disorder ever. Makes sense.

I have seen nobody treat anybody poorly in this thread except you, and possibly the hangry person who was being blunt (and that was questionable). You were the one who started the personal attacks against the person who you called an *kitten*, and said nobody would ever mistake for nice.
This discussion has been closed.