I need advice, I want to start the 30 day shred again...

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I'm just looking for some encouragement & motivation.

I'm not in shape at all anymore, I've gained around 30lbs, and I'm not even 5ft & I've always been small, never more than 120lbs unless I was pregnant.... right now.... I weigh about 150lbs & Just feel HORRIBLE.

I did the 30 day shred last summer, and I had already been working out at the time, so although it kicked my butt, it wasn't that bad..... and I lost inches & felt amazing! But I was going through a lot & completely fell off the wagon, starting eating just to eat.... I'm addicted to Pepsi, and I just can't stop drinking it, as much as I try to drink water, I'm not drinking nearly enough & tend to drink more soda than water.... I'm so disappointed in myself.

My problem is, I'm not sure what to do to get my body better prepared, or if I should just warm up really good & jump in & do it.... I'm afraid I will hurt so bad the next day I won't want to keep doing it.... I keep starting things & not finishing & I'm tired of it.
I'd like to go walking & just get my body moving a lot more but right now the weather is crap & I want to lose weight fast.... walking won't take it off as fast as the 30 day shred will...

I just need to feel better about myself, I'm in a huge slump & I'm not sure how to pull myself out of it... I just feel so lost & mad that I've let myself go....

Replies

• Gunnerslove
    Gunnerslove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You did it before??? What does it entail? I need to lose about 30 lbs as well! How many lbs can you lose in 30 days?
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For starters: Welcome! If I were you, I would try dropping the soda. It is empty calories and you will drop weight if you can rid of the habit! What I do to kick start drinking more water: cut up a lemon and put it in a water bottle. When I refill my bottle (24 ounce), I leave the lemon, and so it is slightly flavored and therefore I am much more willing to drink it!

Try doing something like jumping jacks to warm up: I used to do 25 four rounds. That and jump roping is excellent cardio! Another thing to try: hula hooping aka hoop dancing. It took me a little while to figure it out, but once I did, I couldn't put it down! It really helped to strengthen my core too!!

Sometimes small changes can help in a big way. Staying motivated is HARD, but if you really want it, and you focus enough on where you WANT to be, you will work harder to get there. If you said you measured yourself before and lost inches, I would suggest logging the inches, it really helps to see the results and pounds don't show results as fast as inches! Check out bodybuilding. com for tips on at home workouts for free too! Hope this helps :-) Good lucK!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest things about weight loss is food, not exercise. Get your diet on track first and then slow exercise. With only 30 lbs to lose, set your goals at 1 lb per week and when you exercise eat an additional 200 calories since 30DS isn't a big calorie burner. Also, i force myself to workout and that is how I got in my habit. Just keep telling yourself you get to eat more when exercise which can make up for some of the empty calories.
  • funsizedmama907
    Options
    I can't find my old photos, from last year.... my computer crashed so I lost a lot of the photos... but I lost more inches than weight, which i'd be find with as long as I look hot! lol!
    this explains it better than I could! (well I don't have much time to type it all out! lol!) But I loved it....I saw results within a week... I just didn't keep it up.
    She does 3 minutes cardio (or strength training I can't remember what's first) then 2 minutes strength training & 1 minute abs & just repeats through the workout. I liked it because not only did I see results fast, but right when I felt like I was going to die, she would say to switch & we're on to something else... it goes by fast too & you will HURT BAD for a few days at least but you have to work through the pain if you want the results... it's not easy!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5363883_do-jillian-michaels-day-shred.html

I don't know how to link it... :(
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The biggest things about weight loss is food, not exercise. Get your diet on track first and then slow exercise. With only 30 lbs to lose, set your goals at 1 lb per week and when you exercise eat an additional 200 calories since 30DS isn't a big calorie burner. Also, i force myself to workout and that is how I got in my habit. Just keep telling yourself you get to eat more when exercise which can make up for some of the empty calories.

^^^This, totally this. I just finished the 10 days of Level 1 with my daughter and wore my HRM while doing it. The highest number of calories I burned was 166 one day. Don't count on 30DS doing anything for you except improve your cardio and maybe make a couple muscles sore. You won't out exercise bad eating.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    As psulemon pointed out, your diet is the first thing that you need to dial in. Set a reasonable deficit and work on getting that in order. In regards to 30DS, I mean just go at your own pace. The video does already have a warmup so no need to worry about that. Start with light weights and just do as much as you can. Push yourself, but not so much that you injure yourself. As you get back into it, you will find that it does become easier.

Don't over-think this.....just do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I'm just looking for some encouragement & motivation.

I'm not in shape at all anymore, I've gained around 30lbs, and I'm not even 5ft & I've always been small, never more than 120lbs unless I was pregnant.... right now.... I weigh about 150lbs & Just feel HORRIBLE.

I did the 30 day shred last summer, and I had already been working out at the time, so although it kicked my butt, it wasn't that bad..... and I lost inches & felt amazing! But I was going through a lot & completely fell off the wagon, starting eating just to eat.... I'm addicted to Pepsi, and I just can't stop drinking it, as much as I try to drink water, I'm not drinking nearly enough & tend to drink more soda than water.... I'm so disappointed in myself.

My problem is, I'm not sure what to do to get my body better prepared, or if I should just warm up really good & jump in & do it.... I'm afraid I will hurt so bad the next day I won't want to keep doing it.... I keep starting things & not finishing & I'm tired of it.
    I'd like to go walking & just get my body moving a lot more but right now the weather is crap & I want to lose weight fast.... walking won't take it off as fast as the 30 day shred will...

I just need to feel better about myself, I'm in a huge slump & I'm not sure how to pull myself out of it... I just feel so lost & mad that I've let myself go....

Walking is pure cardio (low impact) ....Shred is high impact circuit training .... this is comparing apples to oranges.

Walking (briskly, moving arms) can burn as many calories as Shred .... but it might take 30-40 minutes (instead of 25)

Body weight exercises can be used to tone & trim everything up. If you dread shred (hey that rhymes) .... don't do it.

There are plenty of other workouts out there. Find something you look forward to doing & stick with it.
  • MrsM0918
    Options
    I have just ordered the 30 day shred DVDs, and am really excited to start! everyone's results pics are so motivating. But when it gets down to the nitty gritty it gets so hard to FORCE yourself to do it. I am really excited to start though. Maybe we can keep in touch and push eachother?:happy:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Is there any classes in your local area worth trying? If your finding it difficult to motivate yourself this may be a good place to start. I've started resistence training classes and I'm finding them so good, our trainer is really pushing us in a good way.

I myself, started doing the shred last march but had been cutting down since the previous july. The shred was hard at first but once I got through level 1 I found myself getting better and stuck with it, saying that I didnt do it in the 30 days...for me i did it as part of weekly workouts, (3 days a week usually) I know this sounds small but alongside eating at a healthy deficit and eating as much whole, nutrious food as I could it worked for me :) In saying that though I did enjoy my treats in moderation, fell off the wagon a few times (college life I suppose) but always picked myself back up and I reached my desired weight loss in May. A lot of people have suggested on here to you and I agree be more mindful of diet first, at the end of the day weight loss is calories in vs calories out, work out a reasonable deficit for yourself and any exercise on top of that will be a bonus. :)

I think if you could cut down on the pepsi soda it will be of huge benefit for you, this is not saying you can never have it again but maybe in moderation. It will also help you create a calorie deficit. Say have your glasses of water during the day and some pepsi as a treat at night, work it into your day, it is doable. :) Best of luck with your weight loss journey! There is a lot of helpful threads on this site worth checking out especially within the Eat, Train, Progress group...recommend it. :)
  • missalica
    Options
    I am on my third day of 30 day shred and I like it. There is no way that I cannot fit 25 minutes into my schedule. What I like about it is that your constantly changing your activity every 30 seconds. I hurt a bit for sure but that's part of getting into shape, I expected it plus...it's a constant reminder of what you put yourself through therefore you don't want to sabotage it by drinking soda or munching on chips. Diet is 80% of the game, exercise is 20%. Feel free to add me if you want a shred buddy :)
  • mariagoconnell
    Options
    Does anyone else find level 3 easier than level 2? I was struggling to get air after level 2 but don't feel that way with level 3. I'm doing the modified version of almost all moves and have done that with level 1 & 2.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you're only 150 lbs, I don't think it should be that bad for you to jump into. I did it at 220 lbs and I'm 5'2..