Building muscle for women. Suggestions?

Options
Hey guys, so I have lost 143 lbs.:blushing: I have some extra skin on my arms that I hate and some on my belly. :grumble: I want to try to tighten it up without having to have plastic surgery. I started body pump class to help me with my arms and started to work out my arms more, is there any supplement that can help me build muscle faster that is not illegal? LOL. :bigsmile: Any other suggestions are welcome.:huh:

Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Lucy

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to get enough protein so that your body has what it needs to make the muscles. MFP really helped me see I was NOT getting enough protein. Other than that, all the other muscle building supplements I've heard of are NOT safe.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    body pump is nice but it's kind of like fake lifting.

after you get used to form and stuff from body pump I'd start researching Starting Strength, Strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting For women.

Heavy lifting will help fill out those muscles. :D
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately in the legal world you are looking at just hard work, proper nutrition and a good weight training attack plan.

If you start more of a dedicated strength lifting program I would say some protein supplements and creatine would give you a small push but nothing as drastic as I imagine you are looking for.

Awesome transformation btw. You look great.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Body pump won't get you the results you are looking for. Quality strength training program and proper nutrition are what you really need.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If there were, bodybuilders everywhere would do nothing except yell about how great it was. Sadly, that's not the case.

Creatine (5g/day, every day), protein (1g/lb of bodyweight), and maybe beta alanine (I'm not convinced yet, but there seem to be a few more studies supporting it lately) can help, but you still have to put the work in - Body Pump is not bad for a start to get your basic fitness in, but it's not going to do much muscle building. You want a progressive heavy lifting program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting.

That said, you might not really want to build that much muscle - the combination of putting on a little + time for the skin to tighten up may be all you need.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OP-

I'd skip the supplements in favor of heavy weights & a solid workout plan.

Also, reading your profile I see that you had VSG surgery. I'd talk to a nutritionist specializing in these areas as to the recommended amounts of proteins/fats/carbs you should be taking in post-surgery. This may be one of the reasons you aren't seeing quick results.
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! I found that lifting has really helped. I keep 10lb barbells at my desk and used to do those daily. I still have flab but the muscle seems to be filling out slowly but surely! Just in the past few months I have found clean eating and started Jamie Easons LiveFit program. I cant afford a trainer so the fact that she gives so much info (and pictures) has really helped me out. I'm on the 1st week and love it so far.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Strong lifts or New Rules of Lifting For women.

Yup. :drinker:
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    up the protein and up the weight on your lifts. If you can lift it more than 5-6 times or so then you are lifting too little and cheating those muscles from a good workout! =):heart:
  • kathrinoutloud
    kathrinoutloud Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    TRX all the way!! :-) Try it...you will be hooked!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Body pump won't get you the results you are looking for. Quality strength training program and proper nutrition are what you really need.

Agreed.
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Congrats on your AMAAAAAZING commitment and weight loss!! I like training in a bodypart split (1-2 bodyparts per workout)....i.e. Back on one day, Chest/triceps the next day, Legs the next day, etc.... but the idea is so unpopular here on MFP that I hesitate to even bring it up...however...FTW because it worked for me. :smokin: If you're interested in this type of training, you can PM me...

All different types of lifting have merits though, so good luck with whatever you choose :)
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    up the protein and up the weight on your lifts. If you can lift it more than 5-6 times or so then you are lifting too little and cheating those muscles from a good workout! =):heart:

I respectfully disagree. I lift in the 8-15 rep range and my muscles don't EVER feel cheated. :)
  • Portugueselove
    Portugueselove Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I really appreciate all of your feedback. :flowerforyou:
  • Portugueselove
    Options

Hey girl, you know I started to workout my arms and lifting weights and doing squats with weights because of you right? You inspired me to start doing that. Wish you lived here so you could train me. You are my inspiration girl.
  • Portugueselove
    Options
    If there were, bodybuilders everywhere would do nothing except yell about how great it was. Sadly, that's not the case.

Creatine (5g/day, every day), protein (1g/lb of bodyweight), and maybe beta alanine (I'm not convinced yet, but there seem to be a few more studies supporting it lately) can help, but you still have to put the work in - Body Pump is not bad for a start to get your basic fitness in, but it's not going to do much muscle building. You want a progressive heavy lifting program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting.

That said, you might not really want to build that much muscle - the combination of putting on a little + time for the skin to tighten up may be all you need.

Thank you so much. I will research on the Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules of Lifting.
    I wish there was someone that could show me the proper way to weight training at my gym, but the couple of trainers there are old and overweight so I won't even ask them. Sometimes I am attempted to ask the muscle guys there but I am way too shy to bother them with questions when they are working out. So yeah, Body pump is 60 minutes of non stop weights, yeah they aren't heavy but boy do i feel sore afterwards and the next couple days. So that is what i started with.
  • Portugueselove
    Options
    OP-

I'd skip the supplements in favor of heavy weights & a solid workout plan.

Also, reading your profile I see that you had VSG surgery. I'd talk to a nutritionist specializing in these areas as to the recommended amounts of proteins/fats/carbs you should be taking in post-surgery. This may be one of the reasons you aren't seeing quick results.

My nutritionist wants me to eat 70-80 grams of protein a day. But to be honest, I have a hard time reaching that amount, unless i have a couple of protein shakes a day since I can't really eat much.
  • Portugueselove
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! I found that lifting has really helped. I keep 10lb barbells at my desk and used to do those daily. I still have flab but the muscle seems to be filling out slowly but surely! Just in the past few months I have found clean eating and started Jamie Easons LiveFit program. I cant afford a trainer so the fact that she gives so much info (and pictures) has really helped me out. I'm on the 1st week and love it so far.

I will research that program. Thank you. :) I also bought some weights to keep here at my desk the other day so that i can do some squats with them in the bathroom during my breaks. lol
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Absolutely this! Once you get in and get comfortable in a routine....it's amazing how much you will see your body change if you 1) Push hard--progress ( don't stay at the same weight for long periods of time) 2) Feed the machine!

BTW....you look amazing!!
  • Portugueselove
    Options

So if I up it to more weights, how many reps should I do if they are super heavy? On the free weights on this one that pulls down, i do between 90-100lbs and it's already hard. It looks like this one kinda. U pull down and you put whatever weights you want on it.
    weight-machine.jpg