Protein after lifting?

Options
Why is it that one should consume protein right after heavy lifting? Is the timing that important? Is it necessary, or just a preference? I just wanted to know. And if you have any good articles, please post them so I can read them.

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym say the protein goes right to your muscles to give them fuel so they will repair themselves quicker.

But I haven't switched my protein shake consuming time.

I find higher protein in the morning = a better day with less hunger for me.
  • iamjocanadian
    Options
    Your trainer is speaking the language known as Bro, or spouting Broscience as it were. There is no such thing as nutrient timing provided you get the proper amount of protein for the day. 1g of protein per LB of body weight is a good number to use for both building muscle and as well for not losing too much muscle if you are at a caloric deficit.

edit: See this site for more info about how protein works in your system.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting.html
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters when you eat it, though I remember reading some articles that talked about the thing your body wants before and after a workout is protein and carbs [and water, of course] so I'll try to time mine so that I'm eating as soon as I'm hungry after a workout, but I don't freak out about it or try shakes or that kind of stuff.

One argument I've read is that after a workout that raised your heartrate, your metabolism is still chugging along after so if you eat something it will be burned/used right away versus stored for later. That's why carbs are okay after a workout, they just get burned in your already warm engine. Protein also gets burned and if you're eating a deficit it could mean you're less likely to lose muscle. Again, I say COULD because I don't have any research to back my claim up, nor can I remember any articles right now.

I say just eat your gram per pound [or more] and focus on eating when you're hungry. Also avoid those expensive shakes and focus on real food. That's just my preference though, I always disliked the idea of eating a meal through a straw [Time for lunch...in a cup! :P] so shakes and smoothies just aren't for me. Though milkshakes are pretty great...mmmmmmmmm....
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have no science to give you.

BUT, I've been eating a protein bar after lifting/intense workouts within 30 mins of finishing for a while now. I find it does help with easing soreness. Plus, I get some extra protein in my day. Bottom line is... it doesn't hurt.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant. 24 hours, get your calories and macros in.

I had Coco Pebbles after I lifted today.

And you didn't share? :sad:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hAB15C506
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have no science to give you.

BUT, I've been eating a protein bar after lifting/intense workouts within 30 mins of finishing for a while now. I find it does help with easing soreness. Plus, I get some extra protein in my day. Bottom line is... it doesn't hurt.

I also find that it helps with muscle soreness for both lifting and running when I have a shake after. Who knows could just be broscience tho!!! :wink:
  • davemanges
    Options
    After any hard workout, it's advisable to consume a ratio of 2 carbs to 1 protein.

The protein will repair the muscles while the carbs will replenish the blood sugar burned through the workout.

Forget the powders and gels and expensive drinks, the perfect drink is already out there. It's low fat chocolate milk.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anabolic window, brah!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    timing is not irrelevant. some beginners on this site take a small amount of science and distort it to the extreme. there are dozens of studies showing increased protein synthesis post workout.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if timing matters, but I've always crashed if I didn't have protein after a workout. If I don't get protein, I get extremely sleepy after heavy lifting. I enjoy my protein shakes after my workouts. I think of it as kind of a reward for kicking butt.

Edited: I didn't read OP's post clearly. Removed a bit of unnecessary information.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    timing is not irrelevant. some beginners on this site take a small amount of science and distort it to the extreme. there are dozens of studies showing increased protein synthesis post workout.
    Citation needed.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

THIS

you should eat either before or after a workout,

you just broke down the muscle
    you need food to repair that muscle

anabolic>catabolic
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Citation needed.

Google. mmmmk.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I don't particularly think it matters either but I tend to do it after I lift (when I get home from the gym) because that's the easiest time for me. I just got home, I'm thirsty, whip up a Bev International shake.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options

^This. While the % of improvement depends on several factors, and is downplayed by many, any increase becomes signifgant when applied over time.

OP- Ultimately the test that matters most is when you act as your own scientist. Try it both ways, keep relevant data, and decide if you think there is benefit for you.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Citation needed.

Google. mmmmk.

agreed, this ones been done to death on here.

Probably the best statement is that there is about as much evidence supporting post exercise nutrition as there are refuting it. But that could probably be said for a lot of things that are taken as fact in the fitness world or even science in general.

Its actually the carbs that your body needs, the protein helps the cells absorbs the carbs.

Its obvious that exercise depelets muscle glycogen, the question is does it really do you any good to get it immediately after exercise.

Anything i've actually read as research is more like anecdotal. They compare performance drop offs between workouts between a group having post exercise nutrtion and one not.

if i saw an atricle that actually supported or refuted it on a biochemical level that would be much better, but i probably wouldn't understand it.

Best thing to do IMO is to eat after and just make sure it fits into your calorie profile for the day. I'll almost always drink my homemade post exercise drink thats basically dextrose, maltodextrin and a whey isolate. but if i haven't been eating well that day i'll skip it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I just read something either last night or the night before in regards to carb timing that stated something about increased protein sythesis for 6 hours post workout.
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    protein builds muscle, muscle burns fat...so yes protein = important