Visiting family when vegan?

Options
I am going to be going to Oklahoma for 3 weeks and here is the problem. I have been vegan for about 2 months now. I am really enjoying it and don't want to stop! The problem is my family is resoundingly not at all. I can't bring things from Hawaii because its illegal to transport fruits or veggies from here to anywhere else. Any ideas?

Replies

• Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your best bet is to hit the store once you get there and cook there if you can!
    This year I think I'll make a few dishes big enough to share and basically eat what I bring.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    There's got to be a farmer's market or place with fresh items that you can stop at once you arrive. I'd stock up and use your family's fridge.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh, eat their steak and be a good person.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am sure I could pull that off ( going to the store not eating steak ew)

pretty sure not even my step mom could whine if I bought my own food lol
  • Alluring72
    Alluring72 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Went through this in June and then again in August. For me I opted not to fight with my family over food, food is a big part of our life. I would order vegan when I we were out and if that wasn't possible I'd order vegetarian and a few time I had seafood. I had food at the house that I wanted to eat and cooked for myself when I needed to. But in August the responses were more middle ground and there were some vegan meals prepared.

Know ahead of time it will be rough going and figure out now how you want those rough moments to play out and be resolved. This way when the moments happen in on vacation, you are prepared and they don't ruin your vacation, you steer the moment in a different direction.
  • meeper123
    Options
    thanks alluring makes sense I guess I can use my allergy to milk in my favor here lol
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'd second the suggestion to hit the grocery store. If you're the kind of person who can tolerate eating the same thing over and over, make up a few big pots of vegan chili, rice and beans, vegetable tagine, gazpacho, etc., then freeze some of it to eat later. I cook a lot of vegan dishes (a good friend is vegan and I like having her over for dinner, plus it's healthy and tasty), and a lot of them are good to freeze. Mark Bittman has a braised Spanish lentil dish that tastes heavenly--it has smoked paprika in it, and I suspect some meat eaters would swear it was flavored with bacon, even though it's completely vegan.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try to let your family know in advance so that maybe they'll prepare a dish that you could eat or at least add things into the meals that you can eat. I told my dad this past weekend and he thought it was great! And when you do get there, try to stop at a store and/or farmers market, maybe you can try cooking a vegan meal for your family to try. Best of luck! xoxo
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I was stressing about a weekend with my family! I feel for you!

I would be concerned about the availability of vegan/vegetarian products I like. I would bring a ton of shelf-stable snacks and goods (think nuts, dried fruits [if they are allowed?], granola bars, etc.) and shop for produce and other things when there. Good luck!
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Same boat, honey! Stop at a store as soon as you can. Just be polite and honest with the family.

I personally made the decision to eat whatever. If a vegan option was available then great, but it not then I certainly wouldn't hurt me to suck it up and have meat, eggs or dairy here or there. I don't want to be preachy with my friends and family and I certainly don't want to make my preferences a burden on anyone else.

Good luck!
  • oferb1
    Options
    Though I am by no means a vegan (quite the opposite) I can recommend nuts.com they are really good, fast delivery (ship same day), and a wide range of dry fruit, vegan bars, etc.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues when I visit family, because I need to stay gluten free. I discuss it with them in advance, and take some snacks along just in case. It never hurts to be prepared to be independent, at least some of the time. Also, I research where I can shop for food, ahead of time.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally vegan yet, but I eat mostly vegan and I live in Oklahoma. Depending on where you are, if you have a Sprouts Market near you you could have pretty good options there or , like others said, a farmers market. Asian or Mexican food stores have a pretty good selection of some vegan foods as well. These are the stores where I have had the most luck.
    Good luck.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I hear they have fruit and veggies now in Oklahoma.

Seriously though, I don't see the problem. Tell your family about your new dietary restrictions and simply be prepared to do some grocery shopping and cooking for yourself. Maybe even offer to cook a meal or two for the entire family so that they can truly understand what a vegan lifestyle entails and just how yummy it can be (I say that as a non-vegan who dabbles in vegan meals a few times per week).
  • JessiGoodwin
    Options
    I've been vegan for 9 years and I still travel with my own food most of the time... This is partly because I LOVE to eat, partly because I want to make sure my children (who are also vegan) receive a balanced meal option, but mostly because I don't ever want to impose my food choices on others, or make anybody have to go out of their way to prepare something for me or my kids. My family and in-laws are all really supportive and kind about our eating habits and always welcome me to prepare meals or share recipes with them. Over time as your family becomes more familiar with exactly how easy it is to eat vegan they will be able to pre-purchase you some food staples, but for now I definitely second the idea to just plan on bringing some immediate snacks and then making a quick grocery shopping trip as soon as you get settled.

Best wishes for a lovely vacation and congrats on your compassionate choice!
    :heart:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Purchase and prepare youre own food. Be prepared to defend your choice though as most people think vegetarians are weird and vegans are from outer space.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Purchase and prepare youre own food. Be prepared to defend your choice though as most people think vegetarians are weird and vegans are from outer space.

I don't get dragged into arguments about being gluten free, which a lot of people think is some kind of fad. I think the same idea applies to staying vegan. I keep a few snacks that I can eat, and I don't eat anything that isn't okay for me. Don't let people push your buttons. Better yet, don't have buttons to push.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Yeah i will just have to listen to them they have already started my husband ( my only support in this matter much to my shock he can't dream of not eating meat) has told me just to get what ever i need 3 weeks sounds like a long time but it really isnt
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Yeah i will just have to listen to them they have already started my husband ( my only support in this matter much to my shock he can't dream of not eating meat) has told me just to get what ever i need 3 weeks sounds like a long time but it really isnt

If your family isn't open to the idea, it's probably better not to discuss it with them, beyond letting them know. Yay hubby!
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say much about it. Im sure they'll cook things like potatoes & salad, no? Eat that.
    If you're going to explain why you're not eating their meat dishes, just say why in a simple manner & enjoy your trip!
    When you're out grab some food you're more apt to eat :smile: